What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
f**k I hope Norman has been training at full back. Yes he will improve our attack in the opposition 20 but otherwise I think Norman is too slow for full back.

I don't have a big issue with Thaiday at prop as I think he has been pretty ineffective running the edges for a while now...

I also think Hoffman on the wing is a bit dangerous. I could have lived with him playing in the centres.

Hanscholo

Bench
How do you guys rate Mitchell Dodds? And how do you think Griffin will use Stagg, Glenn, Parker and Gillett from a rotation perspective?

broncoman

Juniors
I think thats pretty close to the best formation we could put together with the players available. Thaiday at prop is interesting but one that was probably coming for a while, despite being captain I believe its only a matter of time before he's benched for Hannant though.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd imagine Thaiday won't spend that much time on the field - he's still a little underdone so they'll use him more for spurts if anything. Hopefully it's just temporary, apart of the reason his 2012 was so ordinary was because he spent so much time in the middle due to Gillett & Te'o.

I have similar concerns as you GTB on Norman at fullback. He reckons he spent the off-season working on his speed so hopefully that means he spent sometime at fullback, otherwise it could get ugly with DCE raining bombs on him.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i dont like thaiday at prop. i still think he's more effective on the edges but if gilletts playing well that may have pushed him into the front row.

i'm hopeful for the season, i think the return of prince is a plus and you gotta remember with a lot of the same squad we were well in contention till the wheels fell off after origin.

Norman may help with a bit of creativity at the back but hopefully he's learnt to catch bombs better than his first year in first grade. I'm a fan of hoffman but i think he may be wasted on the wing, he doesnt seem like a winger to me.

icewind

Juniors
well i guess we'll see how this works out, but I don't hold out a lot of hope re: norman at fullback. We do have some talent on the sidelines still in the form of Hala, Kemp, Baptiste and Yow Yeh.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
I'm surprised to see Hannant on the bench. He was one of our best towards the end of last season. I would rather see Thaiday in 12 and Hannat in 10 with Gillett as an impact player late in the half coming off the bench.

jakepearce94

Juniors
How do you guys rate Mitchell Dodds? And how do you think Griffin will use Stagg, Glenn, Parker and Gillett from a rotation perspective?
i don't really rate dodds, although he doesn't get that many minutes to prove himself. i think glenn and parker will play 80 with stagg to give gillett a break.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Norman may help with a bit of creativity at the back but hopefully he's learnt to catch bombs better than his first year in first grade.
please refresh my memory on this ? i don't remember him having trouble with bombs. not being a smartass but i just wouldn't mind a video link to watch or something.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I'm not happy with chosen side. I don't agree with players being chosen out of position. Norman's preferred position is five eighth. He's not selected at five eighth shouldn't be in team. I don't see why we've got to have two players not playing in preferred position to keep one in the team. Thus two unhappy players now.

user_nat

Coach
Not hugely excited about that team. Should have actually trialed Norman at fullback if that was the plan.

I don't think Thaiday at prop has ever been very effective. If we had to move one backrower, I'd move Parker. Since he probably won't be doing the kicking anymore.

gUt

Coach
I think thaiday might surprise at prop this year. He's a bit older now and that means muscle and experience. He should go ok provided he's 100% fit.

unbreaK

Juniors
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, Norman at fullback = game over, I'd be surprised if we make the 8 with that team, very low expectations indeed.

AceAv

Juniors
Im optimistic. Norman played a great Rd 1 at fullback in 2010! But present day, I am prepared to see him work up some good form.

Hannant will really bring some wrecking ball action into play. Stag I expect will be safe and solid. Will really come down to hodges and princess as was said I agree. Manly usually have a rusty 1st round, so hopefully we get a crowd roaring to lift our boys and get on top.

Country Bronco

Juniors
There's only one worst case scenario less than current team selection. That's naming Wallace at 7, Norman at 6 and Prince on the bench. Its a whisker away from being equal if not worse.

I know over previous seasons we've used Thaiday to play in the middle because our middle was weak. No doubt his endurance and strength has helped in defence although its diminished his attack. I see the return of Hannant, the improvement of both McGuire and McCullough as well as the workhorse of Parker more than adequate to handle the middle. Added the defensive Dodds from the bench and it is a good middle. With Stagg on the bench you've got player who makes no impact but has great workrate should play majority of the game and use others as impact forwards. I think this is a better plan as we struggle to score points.​