What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

happyG

Juniors
you guys need to start stagg and hannant. move thaiday back to 11 or 12 along with parker.. bring gillette and glenn off the bench..

the broncs were out on their feet in that second half because of the minutes some of the guys had played.

beads6

First Grade
I hardly think putting Glenn on the bench would be a great idea. He is our best player and needs to play 80mins

qld aussie

Juniors
FFS we were not playing semi final football why the F... take a penalty goal you cant be serious:crazy::roll: :sarcasm:
FFS Hunt is waste of bench space start or Qcup. every time Macca goes off we go backwards he is a big boy now needs to play 80 mins.
FFS Norman is not a fullback start or Qcup.
FFS can somebody teach Glenn to pass the F..... ball
FFS why did we buy Stagg need a frontrower who can bend the line.

Nerd

Bench
Without Reed and Wallace, Hunt was the next WORST...tell me what he adds to the side...anything. I am over him at the moment, and he gives the team NOTHING...he is not a 5/8th, Nornman is. Surely we have a fullback in the U20's or in Reserve Grade that can do Norman's job.
Maybe so with Hunt but but i'm just playing with whats available.

In your opinion Hunt may be crap but thats a country mile in front of Wallace. Norman's had his chance at 5/8 last year and didn't fire. What he did show was that he was a good ball runner and can set up a support player something Hoffman seemed incapable of doing.

I think Hoffman is better suited to wing as he has pace, is not required to pass and is experienced under a high ball.

Agree that Reed needs a few weeks in Q cup to sort out as he looked very rusty last night. Though saying that I don't know who would replace him at centre.

On Prince his defensive lapses can be coached out of him, remember Renouf he was woeful at first but ended up being a good defender.

Defence is something that can be taught where as being creative in attack is something that you have or you don't. Prince has it Wallace definitely does not.

Back on Hunt while he may make mistakes at least he takes on the line and looks dangerous in attack. Wallace can't or won't take on the line and if he ever finds himself in a hole he is always run down by the defence within a few metres.

gUt

Coach
Was shaping up o be a good game and positive start. We cant make errors like the one hodges did for Manlys 1st try. And every time manly made a break, it was when a bronco committed to a defender that had decoy written all over them. Seems we don't have the ability to stop even a half back when that happens.

We're definitely lacking strength. Didn't see much big runs from hanno or thaiday. McGuire was good at least...

Realistically if we scored one of those 2 tries and held off manly from one of theirs (Reed). The game should have been ours. We got into a position to come back and the refs rule caught in goal!!? That kind of sht just forces us to play panic footy...

I think hodges deserves a 6. I wish he passed a little more, but u can tell that's when he makes mistakes. Gillette needs to get better with his handling. Wallace I agree should be utility... Prince needed to try more inside balls. So many missed opportunities! Norman was safe, but lacked any flare in attack.. Hoffman I didn't even notice trying to get involved. Maranta looks good, but he really cost us that mattai try. Reed worries me, he needs some more speed and evasion like he used to have. I hope he's still good at catching Wallace bombs, cos I haven't seen it lately.

All in all a 50% satisfaction to the start of the season, vs a team with the best halves in the game, incredible centre combos, decent fowards and an origin fullback. Not going to dream and say we're better than that or ever will be this year. Really need to see the "investments" in the jr broncs that have now come of age in this side step up this year. Or it's time to demand we drop them and purchase some big names.

My feelings exactly, couldn't have put it better.

Bretto

Bench
The main problem I see with Wallace is he has no pace at all. I seriously think he'd be the slowest player in the comp. Last night when I think Reed(?) or Hoffman passed him the ball and he had space on our left edge, he fair dinkum got run down by a turtle with 3 legs. His kicking game at times was good - he put in at least 3 kicks I can remember that found space and landed in the in goal, or just dribbled over. The problem is his lack of vision, his play is far too structured, and he really drops the ball, quite literally, when the going gets tough.

Thinking about the game some more this morning, I think there's a lot of positives to take out of it. That Maranta try off the Prince and Hodges brilliance is something we so lacked last season. I really look forward to those 2 combining this season for something great.

Hoffman looks to be injured again already with his left knee. What's the go with this guy? He seems to have good speed off the mark, but lacks confidence or something. I'd prefer to see him play the opposite centre to Hodges, move Reed back to QCup or something, and bring in a fresh young winger like Kahu or something.

A few of our forwards really need to drop some kegs too man. Parker, Hannant, Thaiday and Glenn, to me, all look overweight. Parker particularly. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing about 7-8kgs heavier than he did last season. For the type of role he plays, it doesn't suit at all. He looked gassed most of the time, and he needs to be our tackling machine, and the bloke that takes that hit up when everyone else is buggered. In saying all that, Jamie Lyon looked pretty podgey too, but I think he's always been a bit that way.

As others have mentioned a lot already too, McCullough needs to play 80 minutes. This whole take him off just to put Hunt on shit has gone on long enough. We lose a massive amount of structure when he goes off, and while Hunt is an admirable defender, Macca adds a lot around the middle - Manly made a lot of meters through the middle as soon as he went off.

I think overall we should be happy with the signs we've seen from our newest recruit Prince, and be grateful that we have some attacking power back in the side, and know that we will actually be able to score some points this season. We really need to work on our fitness as a whole team, and our defense needs to be a bit better around the middle when we start to get tired.

Manly were great last night though. Chery Evans is playing out of his skin, and he looks to have bulked up a lot in the off season. His chest, shoulders and arms appear about on par with Watmough. Him and Brett Stewart will be dangerous to the comp this year, and I think Manly will be top 4 easily based on last nights performance.

Last edited:

AceAv

Juniors
Thx gut.

And yes I agree macca should be 80 minuting now... Unless we can see hunt really bring something from the bench it's better to just have stagg play utility and put another forward on the bench.

I just don't see us out performing other teams with what we have. They are good players, but if u match it up with what we had even in 2009 or 2006? Big worries!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Maybe so with Hunt but but i'm just playing with whats available.

In your opinion Hunt may be crap but thats a country mile in front of Wallace. Norman's had his chance at 5/8 last year and didn't fire. What he did show was that he was a good ball runner and can set up a support player something Hoffman seemed incapable of doing.

Back on Hunt while he may make mistakes at least he takes on the line and looks dangerous in attack. Wallace can't or won't take on the line and if he ever finds himself in a hole he is always run down by the defence within a few metres.

This was my point when we re-signed Wallace...we knew wat he gave our side- average C grade service. We are paying 300K + for this service. Yes I know he has issues but I would much rather have paid for Albert Kelly for instance, or kept Tim Smith. I don't care about defence in halves, I care about POINTS and we are the most boring team I can remember.

As for Norman- what do you think Marshall was at the Tigers when Prince teamed with him? Ball Runner! I just think that combination will be our most profitable.

jakepearce94

Juniors
McGuire was good at least...
really? he had a couple good runs but he didn't stand out for me.
you guys need to start stagg and hannant. move thaiday back to 11 or 12 along with parker.. bring gillette and glenn off the bench..

the broncs were out on their feet in that second half because of the minutes some of the guys had played.
stagg offers next to nothing in attack, he is a good defender, but i hardly even noticed him because they weren't running their plays near him.
I hardly think putting Glenn on the bench would be a great idea. He is our best player and needs to play 80mins
prince is our best player!

I think Hoffman is better suited to wing as he has pace, is not required to pass and is experienced under a high ball..
still reckon centre is hoffmans position.
1.Hodges
2.Kemp
3.Hoffman
4.Norman
5.Maranta
Norman could cut it as a centre i reckon.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Chery Evans is playing out of his skin, and he looks to have bulked up a lot in the off season. His chest, shoulders and arms appear about on par with Watmough.
you have got to be kidding ? cherry evans is as skinny as a rake ! he is so scrawny, i can't believe he beat 4 players to score, i don't think he could even believe it!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
To say that I'm concerned would be understating it, but round 1 and all. If we can tear the Dragons to pieces, I will have some of my faith restored. Realistically, we should put 20+ points on them.

Bretto

Bench
you have got to be kidding ? cherry evans is as skinny as a rake ! he is so scrawny, i can't believe he beat 4 players to score, i don't think he could even believe it!

916272-daly-cherry-evans.jpg

Doesn't look too small to me. Thin around the middle, but big arms and shoulders which gives him good upper body strength. Compared to Wallace and Prince he's enormous.

unbreaK

Juniors
douchebag or not, he's Thurstons replacement in the Maroons when he retires in a couple of years.

00digger00

Juniors
Macca 3
Gillett 2
Prince 1
Manly handled us pretty good up front. And I thought that was out strong suit going into the game. Hodges made some really poor decisions in defence and they cost us each time. Reed needs to get back his draw and pass or dummy. He just runs straight into the defensive line.
All in all it was a game of 2 halves. Could have sworn we would have gone on with it in the 2nd half. The Gillett and Mantra try's where 10/10!!!
Refs had some pretty terrible calls in that second half, but we don't need excuses. We need more ticker when the chips are down....

jakepearce94

Juniors
To say that I'm concerned would be understating it, but round 1 and all.
yeah let's just see if they come out with a shit 2nd half performance next week. if they do than we are in a lot of trouble this year !

916272-daly-cherry-evans.jpg

Doesn't look too small to me. Thin around the middle, but big arms and shoulders which gives him good upper body strength. Compared to Wallace and Prince he's enormous.
Prince is more solid than cherry evans, i'm nearly the same size as cherry evans and i do no weights or anything.

Latest posts