What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 - what the...?

NZ Jet

Juniors
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but...

• in the centenary year (fantastic!),
  • with all the hype (rightly so!),
  • with two foundation clubs - Easts and Souths playing the first game (top idea!),
  • with 2 other foundation clubs (Newtown and Norths) as their "reserves",
...why in god's name are we playing Cronulla at Kogarah ???????

I'm sure there must be a reason (probably to do with the Fitzgerald Cup or whatever it's called) but surely this could have been a great chance to really celebrate the centenary with 4 great old clubs on show.

I dunno....

ozzie

Bench
absolutely stupid and good luck for the season guys - you have a fairly strong side there.

2 True Blues

Coach
NZ Jet said:
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but...
  • in the centenary year (fantastic!),
  • with all the hype (rightly so!),
  • with two foundation clubs - Easts and Souths playing the first game (top idea!),
  • with 2 other foundation clubs (Newtown and Norths) as their "reserves",
...why in god's name are we playing Cronulla at Kogarah ???????

I'm sure there must be a reason (probably to do with the Fitzgerald Cup or whatever it's called) but surely this could have been a great chance to really celebrate the centenary with 4 great old clubs on show.

I dunno....

I think they are doing up shark Park mate actually. It had a similar revamp to Henson apparently so i here. Yet surely it would be READY by the opening week ??? One would think !???? . They more than likely:-

A/Want to save it for the NRL

B/Don't want reserve grade that they have proven they want to eliminate from the NRL crowd games coverage ( conveniently under the table ), from getting any coverage on a large scale.

C/Both of the above.

D/ I am full of it as usual.

You pick. !? LOl........

But was wondering where game one was ??? Is it really at kogarah.??? was looking at driving up for this one. But thought it would be on the soccer ovals next to Shark Park ( tongue in cheek ). :lol:

2 True Blues

Coach
ozzie said:
absolutely stupid and good luck for the season guys - you have a fairly strong side there.

Looks good mate. And roosters have a competable base to bring em thru to you's. good all round. You guys are top eight for sure on paper as well Oz. Should be a good season injuries and suspensions aside.

Question: How many games can we expect Big Willy to play prior to being suspended though this season, hope it is atleast a month. ;-) :lol:

NZ Jet

Juniors
Probably all of the above 2TB....:lol:

Newtown site says Kogarah 15/3 4.30pm.

My real point though, is that we (and our friends in Red & Black) should be at Telstra Stadium ahead of Easts v Souths on the Friday night - having 4 out of the 8 original sides on show to hopefully 40-50,000 for the centenary season opener would have seemed like a good opportunity to me?

Still, I guess at least that means we'll have the Frank Hyde cup at Henson and NSO - but seems a bit of a shame not to play in front of a big crowd on what should be a great night.

2 True Blues

Coach
I agree mate. We are not a part of the business deal of the NRL, so the exposure stars to diminish from even week one. thought as much.

Big year for the jets though, I dont care where we play as long as the Royal Blue goes well, though I so know what you mean. and have been saying it for a while, it's bad business for them right ??

girvie

Staff member
Newtown get to play North Sydney in the rugby league heritage round. The game is the 19th of April at North Sydney Oval.

Write it in your diaries and on your calanders!

yappy

Bench
Bears should have no complaints. They get to play the Mighty Magpies at Concord Oval (the old St Lukes oval - our first home ground) on Saturday the 15th at 3pm. No excuse Girvs for not bringing a whole picnic full of Teddy Bears and then coming back to Ashfield for a beer to drown your sorrows.

We'll deal with you Bluebags the week after.

yappy

Bench
Seeing as you're in Shanghai, I'll drink yours for you if you win.

Wouldn't want it to go to waste now.

KB? Nah. Mine's a Reschs (I've arranged for it to be available in Shanghai) and I'll do my own celebratory drinking, thanks.

Best of luck tho the Maggies for the season (but not too much, obviously).

2 True Blues

Coach
So it's on Saturday, Oki Stadium at 4.30pm . Is that right. Will leave for the 3 and a half hr drive to the game at about midday then, if that is the confirmed start time ???

2 True Blues said:
So where are the sharks NRL team playing. At the arch ememy ground of Oki stadium until round 6 ??!!

The guppys are playing their first half a dozen games away this season as Ronson Field is getting done up.

2 True Blues

Coach
Hey have you guys checked out the starting line-up for the Sharks game on www.newtownjets.com . Good looking side. How have the Sharks been going, ( trials etc ), does anyone know what their lineup will be ??

2 True Blues

Coach
yappy said:
Betcha a KB we deal with you very well indeed.

I might take you up on that one Yappy. :lol:

You blokes have a big game against the Bears in RD 1. They are full of first graders. Ndaira goes ok as well. They will be hard to beat.

2 True Blues

Coach
Sharks team from the Sharks forum ::::

1 Warren DIXON
2 Travis ROBINSON
3 Dustin COOPER
4 Jess CAINE
5 Filinga FILIGA
6 Harry BERRYMAN
7 Blake GREEN
8 Sam MOA
9 James STORER
10 Eddie SU'A
11 Lance THOMPSON
12 Paul STEPHENSON
13 Grant MILLINGTON
INTERCHANGE
14 Tinetali PAPALII
15 Dean PETERS
16 Isaac RETZLAFFE
17 Anthony KILLINGBECK
18 Aaron FIRMAN
19 Leonard ROPETA

No 11 will be used to playing at Oki stadium.