What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1... Who to select??

Twenty10

Juniors
If Stanley can still kick goals exceptionally well I'd start him at 7 (with the limited tries we'll be scoring, converting them will be important), none of Witt Williams or Stanley did anything extraordinary at halfback, but at least with Stanley you get a good goal kicker and he can tackle well. If he can't kick goals anymore stick with Williams.

Don't know how Garvey will go defending in the opening 20 if he starts at 9... But Rein is too selfish, so might as well give him a crack. Witt to come off the bench.

I always liked Mata'utia when he played for Newcastle, seems to have good pace and knows how to hit a hole. Beale or Runciman on the left.

Well price did day Stanley would get first crack at 7 !!! :lol:

getsmarty

Immortal
There is no way we should start with Stanley at 7...he needs to earn the jersey. He was rubbish against the rabbits.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I prefer to work backwards, more who should not be in the 17 squad for 1st round match. Harrison is a definite Cutter along with Rein. Both Stanley & Beale need to get confidence by a few weeks also in the Cutters. So if Dugan is out...replace with Quinlan and the rest just about pick themselves. Also the big fella Aoili deserves a crack up front instead of Groat.

Can people please stopping suggesting Groat be included in the NRL side based on the way he looks. He should be nowhere near first grade based on form or football ability for that matter. Watch the guy play for gods sake before making judgement on him!!!
you should heed your own advice!

TruSaint

Referee
I prefer to work backwards, more who should not be in the 17 squad for 1st round match. Harrison is a definite Cutter along with Rein. Both Stanley & Beale need to get confidence by a few weeks also in the Cutters. So if Dugan is out...replace with Quinlan and the rest just about pick themselves. Also the big fella Aoili deserves a crack up front instead of Groat.

Coffs... no way Rein will be in the Cutters matey.
Even though I agree with you, it wont happen.

Kyle looked awkward yesterday. Not to sure of his confidence.
Beale I think is a must at Fullback if the Duges is out. Quinlan has a spot on bench.
Harrison, is not up to standard at present. Dont know why, cause I like him.
As to Groat, we haven't seen him yet, so why the dismissal.
I don't care what he did or didn't do at the Tigers, I want to see what he can do with us.

With the risk of being absolutely destroyed, Cooper wasn't our worst player by far. He had a dig IMHO.

Pricey, you master, over to you.

Bronson Harrison is a lazy football a show pony with no substance they keep him and re-sign Mathews who is under used and let Prior go what an absolute master stroke Prior is the one laughing he's career can re-start again.

Mata'Utia is certainly worth a punt on he has speed runs good lines and isn't a bad defender and he's hungry to succeed and won't let anyone down.

Cooper got smashed got back up and had another go shows courage after having to listen to the utter wankfest over the Burgess dick heads I hope he kicks on and I have a feeling he'll be a quiet achiever.

I'll throw a curve ball and name Willie Mataka and Will Mathews both would offer more than Harrison especially Mathews with his ball playing ability or Mataka whoes tough runs good lines and isn't afarid to get stuck in.

Quinlan (Dugan when fit)
Morris
Mata'Utia
Beale (Runciman needs a little more time to develop)
Nightingale (Really needs to improve has been ordinary)
Widdop
Williams
Merrin (Best position)
Rein (Needs to pull his head in and stop hogging the ball)
Creagh
Thompson
Frizzel
De Belin (Best position)
Res
Stockwell
Ah Mau (Better utilised when forward packs tire)
Garvey
Cooper

mickeylane

Bench
Dragons Round 1 team

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Thompson
4. Farrel
5. Nightingale

6. Widdup
7. Witt

8. Merrin
9. Garvey
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12. Ah Mau
13. Harrison/Frizell

Must go for experience in key positions
Centre , props

Key Changes:
Thompson to centre
Merrin to prop
Garvey in for Rein
Witt the halfback and kicker

gonz

Juniors
1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Matautai
4. Farrel
5. Nightingale

6. Widdup
7. Williams

8. Merrin
9. Witt
10. Stockwell
11. Thompson
12. Frizzel
13. Jack Bird

14. Obrien (rory)
15. Quinlan
16. Stanley
17. Creagh (just)

We have no size anyway so why not just throw utilitys on the bench

chillwinston

Juniors
After watching the Charity Shield, it was pretty much as expected with the result along with how the game panned out in my opinion..

We are still short when it comes to forwards..

De Belin ain't a prop and wont be anytime soon and hopefully Price will get the message after that.

Ah Mau was the stand out of our pack. Give Groat a couple of games with the Cutters to get his fitness up then he can get a spot on the bench.

The combination play will take time to gel, but the upside was at least Widdop and co were trying new set plays, yes it didn't all lead to points but it was refreshing to see compared to last season.

We look like a quick team but still lack that muscle and aggression in the forward pack.

Can somebody please give Rein a clip over the ears, his runs are way to predicable especially in the oppositions 10m, they only worked when he was new to 1st grade.

gonz

Juniors
After watching the Charity Shield, it was pretty much as expected with the result along with how the game panned out in my opinion..

We are still short when it comes to forwards..

De Belin ain't a prop and wont be anytime soon and hopefully Price will get the message after that.

Ah Mau was the stand out of our pack. Give Groat a couple of games with the Cutters to get his fitness up then he can get a spot on the bench.

The combination play will take time to gel, but the upside was at least Widdop and co were trying new set plays, yes it didn't all lead to points but it was refreshing to see compared to last season.

We look like a quick team but still lack that muscle and aggression in the forward pack.

Can somebody please give Rein a clip over the ears, his runs are way to predicable especially in the oppositions 10m, they only worked when he was new to 1st grade.

well said

rasaint

Juniors
Quinlan a must for fullback, Thompson and Morris to centre, matautia to wing. That will get us back into shape. You need power in the centres that is what we need. Sorry Charlie needs another year and Beale will never be what we need to challenge, two reconstructions a bridge too far. I would have Duges to centre when he is back and leave quinlan to track and accelerate off the power centres. Duges is not great under the high ball and scores from the inside centre type position. Cheers dragons forever

pinkmoon

Juniors
If Quinlan was 3 foot taller and 20kg heavier he would be one of the most dynamic players in the game. He has the kind of football brain that went out of vogue in the early 90's, with fantastic anticipation. I love watching him play but I am disappointed that he was not blessed with a more athletic physique.