What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 team

BTB

Juniors
Bird is a meat head, he runs sideways, shirt grabs and gives away dumb penalties.

Suli bombed a try but carried the ball strongly like usual and saved a try with a great cover tackle on Tom Talau in the first half, he is one of our better players which is a sad sign of the times.

All I read on here is how the three rookies in the spine would be dynamic because they've played juniors with each other for so long, you wouldn't think so after that display. Sullivan doesn't score those two tries against a top 8 side, so what else did he do that stood out playing half back? He gave away an important 7 tackle set late in the game and doesn't seem to have much of a kicking game if I'm honest, seems very overrated by most on here.
Thanks to Bud, he kept us in the game. With out his individual brilliance we would've been anywhere near the Tigers.You could see the team lift as soon as he come on.
1. BUD to permanent half.
2.Hunt to 5/8.
3.Sloane to winger.
4. Lomax to fullback.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Sloan was mostly playing on the wing in his SG days, he's not really part of the Bud+Amone spine.. I think the media propagated that one.

And while I do understand the point about Bud... our attack has been dead for 3yrs, Bud gives us the speed and skill we can finally do something with.. there isn't anybody else waiting in the wings... we are 12mths overdue for playing him @7, im not sure what sort of miracles were expecting from a bloke given half a game finally from a coach determined not to play him.. but I thought there were a couple of them today... I havent cheered like that in many years.

I just don't know how fast the interim coaching staff can turn this tidal wave around.. we need to swap out the memory card and reboot this team.
I clapped very loudly after his 2 tries. I haven't done that since Ted Goodwin.

True_Believer

Juniors
To be fair Sullivan was one of the few highlights and he should never have been in reserve grade. Amone on the other hand makes Corey Norman look like a star. Griffin deserves these results. His team selections have been criminally bad.
You are missing the point - people claiming one player makes the difference neglect the fact that we still lost. So he played - why didn't we win then? You can't say that we lose by 18 - 4 without him. Why have we been losing by less than 6 without him and then lost by the same margin with him? As I pointed out, this is much bigger than one or 2 players.

since77

Juniors
You are missing the point - people claiming one player makes the difference neglect the fact that we still lost. So he played - why didn't we win then? You can't say that we lose by 18 - 4 without him. Why have we been losing by less than 6 without him and then lost by the same margin with him? As I pointed out, this is much bigger than one or 2 players.
Of course. The basic structural and strategic problems under Griffin are huge and unforgivable. But it doesn’t help when the most potent 17 players available are never on the field and some of the most average players to ever wear the red V get continually selected does it?
But to your point of do we lose 18-4 yesterday without Sullivan? Of course we do. He literally scored every single one of those points after the first try and no one else in that rabble of a team ever looked likely. And if he were on the field for the full 80 minutes? What if Liddle plays yesterday and Mybe doesn’t? These are critical selection issues that DO make a huge difference and Griffin is incapable of working out the difference between a player who is a threat to the opposition (Sullivan, Liddle) and a player who never trouble the opposition (Mbye, Amone). Regardless of the major coaching issues that have hamstrung the team, each poor selection has a cumulative effect on whether we win or lose.

Amone als
Yes definitely sack Bird and Mybe if picked at dummy half. Amone is still a work in progress, but there is improvement, specially in his defense and ball skills, already has a deft grubber into the in goal and is developing a long kick. Griffin tried to kill his his prime skill of taking on the defense but with Liddle making valuable metre eating darting runs and giving us good field position, Amone snubbed his nose at his coach and boy did he look a more effective player. Then came Griffin's bizarre decision to start Mybe and relegate Liddle to a bit player and immediately Amone's running game nose dived. Ditto Tyrell Sloan. Seems Griffin plans to destroy Sloan and Amone's careers before they are started while he talks both up to the media to big note himself.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Of course. The basic structural and strategic problems under Griffin are huge and unforgivable. But it doesn’t help when the most potent 17 players available are never on the field and some of the most average players to ever wear the red V get continually selected does it?
But to your point of do we lose 18-4 yesterday without Sullivan? Of course we do. He literally scored every single one of those points after the first try and no one else in that rabble of a team ever looked likely. And if he were on the field for the full 80 minutes? What if Liddle plays yesterday and Mybe doesn’t? These are critical selection issues that DO make a huge difference and Griffin is incapable of working out the difference between a player who is a threat to the opposition (Sullivan, Liddle) and a player who never trouble the opposition (Mbye, Amone). Regardless of the major coaching issues that have hamstrung the team, each poor selection has a cumulative effect on whether we win or lose.
It's all speculative though, isn't it? If you add this player, if you remove this player. If you play this player here. If you bring this player on at this time. If Suli held onto the ball, if Sloan didn't throw a cutout pass. It's all hindsight and armchair coaching, isn't it? Who's to say the attacking structures wouldn't be different without Sullivan there and we end up scoring through different plays? You can't say for certain we lose by that much, if at all. Who's to say if Sullivan played in the other games that we don't still lose by the same margin or more? I think it's all just wishful thinking.

As I said, there's bigger issues at the club and I don't think changing players or even the coach is going to make a difference. I personally don't think we have the players across the board to be able to compete.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Griffin from memory is from upper Qld so hopefully he stays their after this week and the Saints only bought him a 1 way ticket.

I cannot see anything happening this week with the Saints tight arse board. It's like they really want Saints to get the wooden spoon this season with all their disastrous decisions. They are soft and happy to live it up filling their pockets with supporters that don't care if Saints lose and believe me there are so many of those if you go on the Facebook fan pages. The amount of people defending Hook or anything negative towards Saints is incredible, If you say 1 thing negative you actually get people calling you a non-supporter or kicking you our of the groups.

Good to see Bud play at 7. I thought Amone played a little better as well when he came on. It will take time but is a work in progress. If 1 of those 2 get dropped surely it will be Amone as we know Hunt will be at half regardless.

It was a battle of the 2 origin hookers but you would not have known. Hunt being the current Qld 9 but not for Saints because he does'nt want to and his coach listens to him and the NSW hooker who loves playing at No.9. Saints looks so much better with him at 9 but Hunt did look like he was not happy or at least gassed and if so why not take him off for a rest. He didn't look happy that is for sure.

Bird and his brain snaps. I cannot see Bellamy, Bennett or Robbo put up with his constant rubbish. He does really dumb things and at really crucial parts of the field or parts of the game. I can see why there were not many takers for him last year and hence why he stayed on at Saints. No club is dumb enough to get him, but I really do feel under a proper coach he will be a much better disciplined player. He simply gets away with rubbish. This is not the first game he has screw Saints with bad brain snaps. It is a shame as he is a great player but just in a terrible coaching system as with every other player.

qld redvee

Juniors
what got me yesterday ( apart from the way we played ) was late in the game when fox went to the coaches box hook showed absolutely NO emotion when we dropped balls missed tries etc was like he was in the waiting room at the dentist bored out of his skull ... at least the lat coach had that massive dummy spit whilst throwing the pen around ..

It is a shame as he is a great player
Sorry have to disagree. He may turn out a good player with another coach but never a great one. He was mediocre first time with us and not a lot better the second time. Like you say he has brain snaps which cost us valuable field position, tries to play like a 5/8 when picked as a back rower. He is not totally without skill but he tries to do too much and ends up stuffing up most of the time. Griffin gives him full minutes, not sure why when we have some bench quality, like Michael Molo and Toby Couchman getting piddly mins. I digress. Point is he has a tendency to go missing in action for periods, so much so you'd not know he was still on the paddock.

Parko1310

Juniors
what got me yesterday ( apart from the way we played ) was late in the game when fox went to the coaches box hook showed absolutely NO emotion when we dropped balls missed tries etc was like he was in the waiting room at the dentist bored out of his skull ... at least the lat coach had that massive dummy spit whilst throwing the pen around ..
I've got to say I've stopped reacting to the shit these players do too. I get a bad feeling but it's just not worth reacting anymore because it's unsurprising. It's just a voice in my head that goes "f**k me' and then I move on. The biggest reaction out of me yesterday was when they bottled a 5 on 2 overlap, whilst I believed it, I couldn't at the same time if that makes sense. Other than that, it's just numbness watching it.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Thanks to Bud, he kept us in the game. With out his individual brilliance we would've been anywhere near the Tigers.You could see the team lift as soon as he come on.
1. BUD to permanent half.
2.Hunt to 5/8.
3.Sloane to winger.
4. Lomax to fullback.
Good for Bud that he scored a couple of tries stepping around some lazy defence against the team running last. If he is the long term answer at half back and our future he is going to have to learn some game management and tactical kicking. His running game will be nullified against the good defensive sides which is why these two things will be critical for him. All I saw in that respect (tactical kicking and game management) from him yesterday was on par with what we see from Hunt and that is being very kind to Sullivan.

BTB

Juniors
Good for Bud that he scored a couple of tries stepping around some lazy defence against the team running last. If he is the long term answer at half back and our future he is going to have to learn some game management and tactical kicking. His running game will be nullified against the good defensive sides which is why these two things will be critical for him. All I saw in that respect (tactical kicking and game management) from him yesterday was on par with what we see from Hunt and that is being very kind to Sullivan.
Well good for you Bud.👏
Only been playing FG. 5min
And already equal to a 300 game SOO & Australian halfback.