What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs. Panthers Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Broncos team to play the panthers at Penrith this Friday at 7.30pm:
1. Gerard Beale
2. Dale Copley
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Nick Kenny
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker
Reserves:
14. Corey Norman
15. Scott Anderson
16. Mitchell Dodds
17. David Hala

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=36575&title=big-guns-back-for-broncos

Hunt is out with a finger injury. Norman takes his utility role. Hala holds his spot over Carlaw and Lui. Looks like Hoffman still out. I read somewhere that Teo might come back this week.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
Hehe round 7. Not even close :p

Really don't like having Norman on the bench. As bad as McCullough is, he is a better hooker than Beale and Norman.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hehe round 7. Not even close :p

Really don't like having Norman on the bench. As bad as McCullough is, he is a better hooker than Beale and Norman.

haha, copy and paste error...

Yeah I must admit it is strange having Norman there. I also get nervous when they put Norman at fullback then Beale to hooker, especially when Beale is playing well back there. Oh well I guess we cant complain when we are still winning games with that combination.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Thought we had it solved with the Berrigans. Then we thought we had it solved with Ennis. It seems like the Broncos are never willing to spend up big on recruiting dummy-halves. Can't really complain about their policies over the years, but hookers touch the ball more than anyone on the field. Yes, most are simple passes out of the ruck, but that doesn't mean those passes aren't important. The hooker should build and direct every set of six imo.

Hard to over-rule Lockyer in that department, though.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Yeah I must admit it is strange having Norman there. I also get nervous when they put Norman at fullback then Beale to hooker, especially when Beale is playing well back there. Oh well I guess we cant complain when we are still winning games with that combination.

When are we winning games with Beale at hooker and Norman at fb ??

Earlier in the year I thought Mc needed more game time ........ Hunt IMO is not working there. We are lacking when Mc goes off. I would have left Hunt out of the side injured or not this week. Maybe Grif needs to forget about the Mc/hunt combo and just perserve with Mc for the entire 80min (presuming he can go 80min)......or blood Baptiste.

I'd like to know if someone is working with Mc on his dummy half deficiencies at training........

All that being said against Hunt .....I agree, I'm not sure what value Norman has on the bench. Wallace to dummy half/hooker when Norman comes on? Norman/Lockyer.....leaves Beale to play 80 mins of fb?

Looking at the Storm game.......I would have gone with Hala this week over Carlaw as well.

I thought Kenny was strong....involved

Gagai is unlucky ......although as will be pointed out, Copely has done nothing wrong

Forgetting missing players Hoffman....Tronc .......McGuire and Gillett, I like the look of the side. We should go alright against the Panthers.

edit: Forgot about Gillett

Last edited:

IBA

Juniors
Kenny and Dodds were both strong starting in the center.

To be honest, I would taken Carlaw over Anderson on the weekend - they're all in roughly the same class though. Gagai, apart from that amazing try wasn't that impressive (good, just not great) so I'm happy for Copley to stick around.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when Hoffman, Gillett and T'eo are back.

The Crane

Juniors
^ Won't be that interesting... I assume that Beale will be moved to wing with Copley dropping out and they will add Te'o and Gillet to the bench and remove Hala and Anderson or Dodds.

I have to admit though, I do like our forward rotation this year. We should be fresh all the way up to the finals!

Jake2194

Juniors
imho, i believe beale should try and move to another club for his own benefit, he definitely plays way better in fullback, but he won't get a run in the #1 jersey when hoffmans back. similar to the boyd/Hunt situation, i believe beale would excel if he moved to another club.

Last edited:

Broncos fan!

Juniors
imho, i believe beale should try and move to another club for his own benefit, he definitely plays way better in fullback, but he won't get a run in the #1 jersey when hoffmans back. similar to the boyd/Hunt situation, i believe beale would excel if he moved to another club.

I agree. I posted this about a month ago. I think Beale is in the exact same boat as what Boyd was. Their best potion is fullback but they can't play there because they are stuck behind someone a bit better than them so they are stuck to playing centre/wing. Boyd changed clubs and gets a shot at fullback and look at him now. Hes one of the best fullback going around. In saying that I hope we don't lose Beale. :D

beads6

First Grade
I agree. I posted this about a month ago. I think Beale is in the exact same boat as what Boyd was. Their best potion is fullback but they can't play there because they are stuck behind someone a bit better than them so they are stuck to playing centre/wing. Boyd changed clubs and gets a shot at fullback and look at him now. Hes one of the best fullback going around. In saying that I hope we don't lose Beale. :D

Not many clubs need a fullback so I think that could be in our favour in regards to Beale. I bloody hope so I think he is a super talent.

The Crane

Juniors
I heard Te'o is possibly back. Has anyone heard any sneaky rumours as to whether he will slide into this week's team shortly before kickoff?

IBA

Juniors
They were saying T'eo might play in an arm brace...

I wonder how either Beale or Hoffman would play in the halves? I really don't think Hunt/Norman is our solution... Or when Hoffman is back, give Beale a few games at hooker? I don't know if he is up to that much defence but he can kick and tackle, is quick off the mark and seems to have a decent pass on him. Doesn't really play like a hooker but we really have to try something to fill that role. Or maybe chase the storms toyota cup hooker? He's not gonna get much of a run with Smith hanging around for a few more years and has had some pretty good things said about him.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
They were saying T'eo might play in an arm brace...

I wonder how either Beale or Hoffman would play in the halves? I really don't think Hunt/Norman is our solution... Or when Hoffman is back, give Beale a few games at hooker? I don't know if he is up to that much defence but he can kick and tackle, is quick off the mark and seems to have a decent pass on him. Doesn't really play like a hooker but we really have to try something to fill that role. Or maybe chase the storms toyota cup hooker? He's not gonna get much of a run with Smith hanging around for a few more years and has had some pretty good things said about him.

Te'o has had his arm cast removed. Hoffman will go straight to fullback once he returns. Suggesting he or Beale play in the halves is just ludicrous. Hoffman's clear best position is fullback and he has generally failed playing anywhere else. Beale's best is fullback but he goes okay at right centre but will probably end up on the wing.

jarro

Juniors
Beale might go ok on the wing now that he's had a fair run in the top side and got a lot of confidence going ...... i'm sure he'd play better there now than he did earlier in the season.

diddi kong

Juniors
carlaw, hala, dodds, hopefully teo otherwise anderson. no hooker needed, if a back gets injured glenn(teo if he plays) to the backs, reshuffle

The Crane

Juniors
How good is it that if we win, the two points plus the points from next week's bye means we are sitting on 18 points before the Origin period starts?

That is awesome considering 26/28 points is usually about the cut-off mark.

jarro

Juniors
It's a great start to the season for us.

Lets just hope we don't cop a few injuries during the Origin campaign :pray:

Latest posts