What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs. Sea Eagles Discussion + Voting

broncos70

Juniors
Copley & Parker.
One cost us 3 tries and the other missed 4 conversions. FMD. Put a hole in the wall.

DeeJ

Bench
3. Norman - short kicking game was really good
2. Parker - his kicking was awful but he ran the ball really well tonight
1. Gillett - his two efforts in the air were great, unfortunately his two missed tackles at the end lead to a Manly try

Another mention to McGuire who was great when he was on. I thought Hoffman was very quiet tonight but his defense was bad, missed a few tackles from breaks.

00digger00

Juniors
I thought we went pretty good tonight when we had the ball in our hands. In defence it looked like we were only just holding on all night. And that's where we lost the game tonight. Parkersburg kicking didn't help either.

3- Glenn
2- Norman
1- Gillett
1- To the kid that went the high 5 to Watmough as they were running out, then pulled it away!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Parkers kicking game cost us dearly in the end. He'll have to take a long hard look at himself after this. This isn't the first game where he's done horribly after coming back from injury.

Overall I'm disappointed we lost, but I can't really fault our performance. We never capitulated.

AceAv

Juniors
Our performance tonight was lifted to the level we need it at. Best game ive watched all season. I hope we take it into the storm game. I'm concerned that loss will cost us confidence. Parker should know to give kicking duties up if he is having to work like he did tonight... Copley really relies on read too much I. Defense and needs to improve fast. Running tonight he wasn't bad. I'm proud of the boys and the better team lost in the end when u look at the stats. One of those games that I'll never get over :(

3. McGuire
2.Gillete
1. Norman

Mr Fourex

Bench
Hate to call any game the best so far (particularly when we lose), but that one has to be right up there for 2012.

Highs and lows.

Highs - Corey Norman, Josh Mcguire, Matt Gillett

Lows - Parkers goal kicking & our defence (in general)

What's happened to the intense, hardened steel that was once our defence line? We recently appear to be waiting for the opposition to come to us, instead of moving up together AT SPEED and smashing them. This was not so long ago the corner stone of our ability to win games.

Haven't bagged Copley much (compared to others) and I really didn't want to start tonight. His running with the ball is much improved and his confidence is growing game by game

BUT

His defensive reads tonight were atrocious. It really did seem like he had NFI what was going on in front of him.

At some stage during the game I though Gillett would be a liability out there in the centres. He had proved me wrong......until the last 2 minutes of the game. Bad miss on Matai. Still he WAS awesome in attack, so it's hard to be too harsh on him.

Bit of a worry these last two games, particularly leading into the SOO period.

Hopefully Griffin can turn it around.

3. Corey Norman
2. Josh McGuire
1. Matt Gillett

Special mentions to Hannant, Parker (forgetting the missed kicks), Hunt, Reed & Alex Glenn.

Petro seem to get f*ck all minutes. Seemed strong when he was out there.

Capewell was OK I guess in his debut.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
3 - McGuire - Powerhouse performance changed the game when he came on and really led from the front, if he isn't picked on the bench for SOO then there is something wrong should be ahead of Gillett at this stage for the bench spot in my opinion, he has the engine to play anywhere in the forward pack.
2 - Norman - really stepped up tonight and took over the short kicking game well from Hunt. He is a really pivotal performer for the team now and the way he takes on the line is really pleasing to see in any young player in the halves.
1 - Gillett - played out of position and two bad misses on Matai made it a pretty average game in the end for him, but his two try's were excellent and he really stepped his performance up in the second half and it was pleasing to see him come infield and take some responsibility and a few hit ups in the second half.

Overall it was a pretty good game of rugby with a very disappointing ending. My biggest problem with the way the team performed tonight was in defense. There was no rushing up in the defensive line except for really key moments in the second half. At times it reminded me of when i watched Parramatta play a few weeks back when they just wouldn't move and just waited for the attack to come to them. This has to change and fast.

Secondly I've defended Copley a lot, and I genuinely think he is making an alright fist of it but he needs to stay higher up in the defensive line for longer in a defensive set, he can't expect Reed to do all his defense for him. I was pleased with the way he ran the ball, especially when he managed to get out of the in goal area in the second half by stepping a couple when it seemed he would have zero chance of getting out. Its these little efforts that will give him the confidence he needs to continue playing well.

Thirdly, What happened to Corey's kicking tonight?????? He was soo good at the start of the season and then in the last few weeks he has just gone of the boil. I noticed a couple of times tonight when he placed the ball on the tee it wasn't quite lined up properly, this is something that is very easy to fix. He needs to get more of a follow through going, as without it he will continue to push the ball wide or hook it.

Much improvement if the Broncs are to beat the storm, but i believe if they change a few of the little things the boys can get home against them

lockyno1

Post Whore
Have said it for years, Parker is terribly inconsistent, what was unusual was him not nailing the sideline ones...it is the closer ones that he butchers every week! Wallace if fit is just a more safe goal kicker in my opinion.

As for the game, we just looked tired out there, no excuses but we just were flat for a large portion of the game

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Norman
2. McGuire
1. Gillett

I think our defense cost us this game, not Corey's kicking. Almost every opportunity they had they scored a try. Too paper thin to win big games.

Bad miss by Gillett but you can't exactly blame him... That's what happens when you have a back rower defending out in the centres. Just goes to show how little depth we now strangely have out in the backs now.

All in all a good game. Sucks to go down again last minute for the second time this season.

IBA

Juniors
Urgghhh... Hard to comment. I was at the game and my eyes kinda suck so I don't really want to comment too much until I watch a replay. Although, I don't think I can sit through a replay...

Obvious, Parker's kicking cost us a game. At some point we've all said it would and I think it's finally time for him to let it go - It's simply not good enough for a top 4 team to have a kicker of his quality.

Secondly - It worries me 3 of our tries came from kicks. It don't really consider tries from kicks real tries. Hunt's short kicking game was atrocious and I don't think he brought much else.

We have to remember we are missing 3 rep players. Any other team missing 3 reps would be absolutely decimated.

Funny game. I don't think we were all that good, we scored tries from kicks (including a chip from a prop?), we were missing 3 rep players, but I still think we should have won... I can't place it. Fingers crossed for a fit team in the post origin period for the run to the finals...

3. Norman - I want him to play like this when Wallace is on the field. Twice now he has really stepped up when Wallace was out. He is a super talented player.
2. McGuire - What a f**king player... I hope he plays out his career with us
1. Gillett... He doesn't defend well in the centres but he does so much every game.

I thought Glenn deserves a mention also. 3 excellent games in a row from him

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Similar way IBA. Was at the game, was proud of the boys but I can't put myself a replay just yet.

Really proud of the boys, I basically wrote them off with Hodges gone & in the end goal kicking proved the difference. Sucks that Manly always play us when we suffer a key injury, would love to see both teams face at full strength just once but it will never happen.

3. Ben Hannant - Fantastic in both departments. Just kept rolling through the work & in the end got the better of the Manly pack.
2. Josh McGuire - IMMENSE! Probably played himself to a stand-still but was great in attack. Loved that second half hit-up!
1. Corey Parker - If Parker wasn't kicking tonight, he'd probably be my MotM. Got through a ton of work and really swung the game with his determined charges. Disappointed the radar was off but not going to blame him.

Sucks that we're 7-3, especially when we easily could have been 9-1 but there were some great signs out there and we have plenty of room for improvement.

Bring on Origin!

Latest posts