What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs. Bulldogs Discussion + Voting

Nerd

Bench
Gut I normally agree with most things you post but Maranta 3 points?

Hopefully that is our worst game of the year out of the way. I agree that McCullough needs a stint in the Q Cup. Maybe thats why Granville is getting a gig so as to put pressure on McCullough to lift his game.

Too much dropped ball just killed us. I was surprised how much the Dogs got quick play the balls then I started to notice that some of their forwards were diving at the ground instead of trying to take on the line to get quick play the balls. Graham and Tolman especially.

Hopefully when Reed comes back they will stick Kahu on the wing and dump Maranta back to Q Cup.

3. Hoffman

2. Parker

1. McGuire

Also we really need a decent prop at the start of the game as Thaiday while trying hard has no impact as a prop. Maybe time to give Hala a run in the first ten minutes?

Dazzat

First Grade
We were playing against the biggest forward pack in the competition tonight - Kasiano, Pritchard, Eastwood, Tolman and Graham. I believe it's only about the second or third game that the Bulldogs combination has been together.

Yes our back was owned. They are too small. We have no consistent go-forward forward with the departure of Civ.

We seriously need a forward who can consistently break the first tackle. Thaiday is a back rower. Hala is about two years from reaching his potential. Maguire for me is a back rower as well. Anderson is useless and provides no aggression at all. Glenn is vanilla. Gillett and Parker showed glimpses. Wallace, like Hala, is one/two years from reaching potential.

Totally agree that McCullough needs some time out of the team.

There has been much talk about us acquiring a playmaker recently, but for me, we need at least two aggressive big forwards who have an off-load in them.

3. Gillett
2. Hoffman
1. Macguire

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
23 years as a Broncos supporter, this is the most pissed off I have been at the club ever.

The entire story of the modern day Broncos was told tonight when Gillet made that clean line break, f**kING INTENTIONALLY SLOWED DOWN to pass it to Granville, who had 60 metres of open air in front of him, and STILL we get ran down 30 metres out. What the f**k happened to speedster Granville?? Our team has nothing but snails in its ranks who couldn't hope to match Barba or Morris.

I am seriously fed up. Wallace can f**k off; Griffin and Gee can f**k off; Maranta can f**k off; Gillet and McC can f**k off; Norman thankfully IS f**king off and the rest need a serious kick in the arse except for Hoffman. We're a shadow of our former selves and we had BETTER have a major signing coming or Brisbane can say goodbye to those membership numbers we always like bragging about. Soft, ill disciplined and f**king useless.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Re: Maranta, I thought he did everything right for his side tonight. Took a lot of pressure high kicks in the rain and was the only back apart from Wallace not to make an error. Trust me I was looking for someone better but tonight I couldn't find anyone.

Last edited:

austyphoon

Juniors
Re: Maranta, I thought he did everything right for his side tonight. Took a lot of pressure high kicks in the rain and was the only back apart from Wallace not to make an error. Trust me I was looking for someone better but tonight I couldn't find anyone.

please! Hoffman was by far our best.

Hodges had his worst game since I can last remember, though against parra he was also below par. Everything he did went wrong tonight.

I see hunt has also resorted to putting up bombs from 40 out. Absolutely no pressure put on the opposition. Hunt hasn't showed anything in his two matches.

Granville had no time to do anything really and macca is just...urgh...this guy needs to be dropped. Did you see his kick for touch??? Went 5 meters!!!!

sucks to be us.

gUt

Coach
I'm not here to win an argument, I calls it as I sees it. I'm not saying he's our greatest ever winger, I thought he was the best of a bad bunch tonight. I also said he and Hoffman were our best players.

Because you are a fellow Narangbarbarian I will forgive you.

Broncos93

Juniors
What was it that Hoffman did tonight that made him such an obvious choice? I thought Maranta was the only one who didn't look like a complete spastic out there.

AceAv

Juniors
Recorded the game, but the ps3 chocked out at half time. Miserable night of footy and once again we get the win to loss blues. Just can't find consistency it seems and every player and coach needs to put their hand up and take blame. Wevre lucky to be sitting where we are. But we can't kid ourselves. We aren't a top 4 team and the urge to want to be this year is evident in the way we play...

gUt

Coach
What was it that Hoffman did tonight that made him such an obvious choice? I thought Maranta was the only one who didn't look like a complete spastic out there.

He was pretty dynamic in the first half while the rest of the team were still recovering from the jog onto the paddock and the minute's silence. He also made the most metres of any player.

Eddy

Juniors
Again we struggle after halftime and find ourselves playing catch up football for the last 20 minutes...

Maranta had a better game but I thought a better winger would have been able to finish that first break. He either needs the pace to make the corner or strength to steamroll across like what Hoffman did. Commentators calling him a great finisher haven't seen a few of his bombed chances this season.

We looked a quality prop short this week. I honestly think our team would look better having Thaiday in the backrow and either Gillet or Glenn on the bench. McGuire and Parker played like men fighting for an Origin spot.

I'll agree that Hodges isn't at his best but he did force two line drop outs with good kicks & was unlucky not to get a penalty when going for a quick play the ball.

3. McGuire
2. Parker
1. Hoffman

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Overall a pretty disappointing display. We were completely dominated in the forwards, the Bulldogs made metres at will. It wasn't just our goal line defence, it was our defence over the whole park. Our attack is meh, same old same old. With our current side we are never going to be a side that can put on a lot of points. Unfortunately this makes it very hard for us to ever have a comfortable win, even against the poor sides.

Pretty disappointed by Hunt. I thought he would be trying to make the most of these opportunities, but he doesn't seem to be getting involved, whether that is his fault or not I'm not sure. Kahu was a bit exposed in the centres in defence, hopefully he can work on this part of his game. Granville didn't get many minutes...

3. Hoffman
2. Parker
1. McGuire

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Oh, and one other thing, why can't we do really simple things like find good metres off penalty kicks? Most times we only seem to gain about 10 metres. With very little risk you should be able to gain 20m. And why did we take the tap, we lost at least 2 tackles there! Such dumb things, I don't get it.

Tera

Juniors

I just feel he offers absolutely nothing to the side. He has no speed, he has no evasiveness for a winger and he can't finish a try for shit.

I mean, in the 9 games he's played leading up to this week he's made a TOTAL of 6 tackle breaks. For a winger this is geniusly low.

As a point of reference Josh Hoffman has made 37, yes he's played one more game but still the difference is night and day. Ashley-f**king-Graham has made 15 in 8 games for Christ Sake.

I know we have issues all over the park, but I just can't fathom why he's in the side. I mean, if we had someone who could have finished that movement at the start of the game (lovely ball from Wallace I believe) who knows what the outcome would have been tonight.

Also, yeah Hodges was pretty ordinary but he still made the second most metres in our side AND got us our ONLY two repeat sets.. Dropping him would be disastrous.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
Forwards got smashed although most tried hard. Refs were ordinary for us as well IMO. Maranta is terrible. We don't miss Prince. If we had him in the side we let in a few extra tries. Glenn is well down on form this year. Origin period is going to kill us. I won't be expecting a win at all.

austyphoon

Juniors
I'm not here to win an argument, I calls it as I sees it. I'm not saying he's our greatest ever winger, I thought he was the best of a bad bunch tonight. I also said he and Hoffman were our best players.

Because you are a fellow Narangbarbarian I will forgive you.

And fair enough. Was a bit blunt in my response.

As Narangbarbarians we need to stick together.

Maranta's stats weren't too bad, so may be bit harsh calling him useless. I still believe that we need a winger with some spark and when we're struggling to score tries a "solid" player isn't good enough.

It's a sad state when a winger (Hoffman) takes the most hit-ups.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Watching it without all the passion and background of players that you people possess, it was clear that from early in the second half that the relative speed of the play the balls was what killed Brisbane. Canterbury were constantly getting a roll-on through their sets whilst the Broncos were getting rolled onto their backs.

My particular interest in Granville showed that up. He always makes his darts from dummy half when the markers are slow to get set, he picks his opportunities well, but last night there was only once he was able to go because the Broncos were so slow to play the ball.

Bretto

Bench
Hoffman should go back to fullback or something. I dunno, pretty poor effort last night. I just don't know how we can come out and play the way we did against Melbourne a few weeks ago, and really pressure one of the best teams in the comp and show flair all over the park, then come out last night and dish up that tripe. It doesn't make sense.

3. Hoffman
2. Parker
1. McGuire

Latest posts