What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Manly

franklin2323

Immortal
Why would Cleary want to move our best lock to prop? He is going great at lock, is playing 80 minutes which he wouln’t do at prop, and is one of the few success stories this season.

Given the problems we have in other areas, we should leave what’s working to keep on working and fix the other areas.

He has had to play second row for some games to cover injuries, but now that Martin has shown he can play on an edge, that means we can now just leave JFH in his best position.

The issue is trying to fit all the backrowers in. Someone needs to be shuffled around.. Who is the question

franklin2323

Immortal
But you don’t move your best lock from that position to fit in someone that’s not as good as him. That’s just seems crazy to me.

I agree that is why Martin would be my prop. Though prop and locks are the same these days so wouldn't mess team structure up too much would just be whether the extra hitups affects JFH or not

Crashtest

Juniors
I agree that is why Martin would be my prop. Though prop and locks are the same these days so wouldn't mess team structure up too much would just be whether the extra hitups affects JFH or not

I’d leave Kikau and Yeo on an edge, Martin as bench backrower who can cover edge and lock, drop Fuimaono because if an outside back goes down Yeo can move to centre and Martin goes to 2nd row, and pick 2 props on the bench from RCG, Leota, Ellis and Hetherington (and Leniu after June 30). And even McKendry if he can gain match fitness and confidence without reinjuring his knee.

That leaves Winterstein, Sele and Fuimaono in reserves as injury cover.

Marky Mark

Juniors
I’d leave Kikau and Yeo on an edge, Martin as bench backrower who can cover edge and lock, drop Fuimaono because if an outside back goes down Yeo can move to centre and Martin goes to 2nd row, and pick 2 props on the bench from RCG, Leota, Ellis and Hetherington (and Leniu after June 30). And even McKendry if he can gain match fitness and confidence without reinjuring his knee.

Not bad - I'd be switching Sele for Ellis though. I think Mark would agree.

franklin2323

Immortal

Who'd be centre in that scenario?

We need Winterstein's defence. We had 40% possession and Winterstein was able to hide Maloney fairly well. So I think we keep that Right side how it was

Why would Cleary want to move our best lock to prop? He is going great at lock, is playing 80 minutes which he wouln’t do at prop, and is one of the few success stories this season.

Given the problems we have in other areas, we should leave what’s working to keep on working and fix the other areas.

He has had to play second row for some games to cover injuries, but now that Martin has shown he can play on an edge, that means we can now just leave JFH in his best position.

I actually think given his fitness and the work he’s been doing he could play a lot of minutes at prop.

Cleary also has a history of favouring more mobile locks, there was some talk Yeo was training at lock in the pre-season.

The other point I’d make is we need to find points, we’ve only been past 20 twice all season. Having a second rower in the centres will stymie our attack more than it already is. Ivan Cleary is too cautious.

Last edited:
To illustrate the problem in the backs

Our forwards have scored 14 tries this season

Our centres, wings & fullback have only scored 6 tries

Even the two halves have 6 tries between them.

That’s 6 tries between 5 players that are supposed to be scoring the bulk of your tries. What do we do? Put a second rower in the backs

OldPanther

Coach
To illustrate the problem in the backs

Our forwards have scored 14 tries this season

Our centres, wings & fullback have only scored 6 tries

Even the two halves have 6 tries between them.

That’s 6 tries between 5 players that are supposed to be scoring the bulk of your tries. What do we do? Put a second rower in the backs

That shows we play through the middle a lot but why isn't the fullback involved here. Teddy gets involved behind the ruck a lot, if we play through the middle our fullback should be getting among the forwards in attack.

Marky Mark

Juniors
Luai looked likely the other evening. The great coach has some decisions ahead of him.
Looked very likely, I just can't see how that much talent can be held back any longer. I think Mark would agree but I'm yet to discuss it with him - someday...