What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Sharks

Fangs

Coach
Well $1.3 Million a season Luai turned up yesterday after a good (but incomplete) showing against the Warriors.

Up until then, I'd have said this is his worst (full time) season with us and was laughing at the Tigers for signing him, especially as a halfback.

In saying that, he still isn't worth that money to us with Nathan still in the team. That is why I am fine with Cole looking forward. He isn't flashy, doesn't have the sexy passes or tricks but in this Ivan coached, defence & Grit style team - he does his job and I am sure more of his skill will come out and develop as he gains more game time and confidence.

Can we win this competition Realist?

I certainly think we can. Yesterdays performance shuts out pretty much any team in the competition. And that was without Cleary.

The Realist

Juniors
H

Hey Hindy you could be a rare supporter who gets 2 trophy’s this year Penrith grand final win and parra wooden spoon all in the one year

KFC.

Backed the winner and wooden spoon 2 years running. Kind of funny how they have a bob each way with their 'Fried Night Footy'.

Fangs

Coach
We play like that, we beat anyone. Still think Broncos are our biggest danger, with the Storm and Roosters close behind. Sharks myth was shattered last night.

Penrith playing that well was a bit of a surprise.

Far more surprising was the performance of the Sharks. They have ticked a couple boxes this year then all of a sudden they totally shit the bed. Their record in big matches is pretty poor. Bit of mental scaring maybe but they need to be tougher.

Fangs

Coach
Only thing I noticed last night which should improve is alamoti struggling to get the ball to his winger on about 3 overlaps closer to the line, needs to get a bit deeper I think

Needs some work but left side attack will improve once our halves settle.

Double for To'o last night with a fully fit spine. His finishing ability is top draw and maybe overlooked by some due to the quality of his work coming out of our half.

Penrith playing that well was a bit of a surprise.

Far more surprising was the performance of the Sharks. They have ticked a couple boxes this year then all of a sudden they totally shit the bed. Their record in big matches is pretty poor. Bit of mental scaring maybe but they need to be tougher.
Amazing game plan from the Panthers last night. Kick to Katoa, really shorten up the line in defence, kick pressure Nicho, back through the middle in attack.

We’ll see more teams do this over the coming weeks.

maple_69

Bench
Once again Ivan’s ability to find a sides weakness and build a plan around relentlessly assaulting it is incredible. As a team built around Clearyball for 5 years now, to switch the system around Luai to that kind of effect in 2 weeks is so impressive.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Once again Ivan’s ability to find a sides weakness and build a plan around relentlessly assaulting it is incredible. As a team built around Clearyball for 5 years now, to switch the system around Luai to that kind of effect in 2 weeks is so impressive.
I still think Ivan doesn't get enough credit for what we've achieved. When the media mention the best coaches its always Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson and sometimes even a coach who hasnt won a comp in over 20 years before they mention Ivan.

MrBlack

Juniors
I still think Ivan doesn't get enough credit for what we've achieved. When the media mention the best coaches its always Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson and sometimes even a coach who hasnt won a comp in over 20 years before they mention Ivan.
Ivan keeps his cards very close to his chest.

We have been playing within ourselves all year.

Look at games against Broncos & Roosters where we go out to a big lead then hold off.

Warriors game was just bad so this week we flexed just a little bit of muscle to remind everyone that were still here.

You dont win comps in May.

Also our bench rotations. I think at times he is just testing players under game pressure to see how they respond. We seem to be saving Leota and Fish for later in the year. Putting miles on Smith, Henry etc to condition them.

Pjf04b

Juniors
It was what happens when you poke the bear!
I think they took the Warriors game personally and didn’t like the gummies being called the best defensive team in the comp.

MugaB

Coach
It was what happens when you poke the bear!
I think they took the Warriors game personally and didn’t like the gummies being called the best defensive team in the comp.
Really? I reckon that was a pisstake, yes we didn't play upto the standard we normally do, but Dylan don't miss kicks like that infront, he is a winner, it's like we were gifting the warriors a win, since they've been so battle injuries aswell as unlucky with most of there calls in tight games (Vs Newcastle) that try dallen scores, should have been a penalty try, he was clearly tackled in the air.. especially after the bullshit the roosters pulled off (keary bombed try given a penalty try Vs Raiders)

betcats

Referee
Watching replay, Luai is so dangerous running just off the ruck. He can beat a marker easily and then he’s in behind the ruck for an easy 10 -15 metres abd if he beats another tackler it’s more like 30 metres. Tortured the sharks with tgat on Saturday. Gotta keep that coming when Nathan is back.

betcats

Referee
Also with 2.53 left in the first half there’s a passage of play that sums up why I love Henry so much. We had just defended our line and then played a clearing set on last ball comes to Luai to kick downfield field, Henry follows the ball to Luai to make sure he’s on side and sprints downfield as Luai kicks, head down fist pumping well above his head it’s comincal tbh but you can tell he’s giving it everything, he gets down field and is first to tackle the full back, gets into marker the sprints across abd makes the next tackle.

That was the defensive set at the end of the half we kept them to 16m, they kick abd we score off the next set right before half time.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah I noticed that play as well. I think he went on to be involved in 3/4 tackles in that set. The running gate was hilarious, just giving it everything. The guy has a monster engine which we all knew. That was the first game he was given solid minutes and it’s pretty clear 50-60 minute starter is his future.

Goonji

Juniors

Latest posts