What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Rabbitohs vs Raiders: Saturday 27th May 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
We've had a bit more info on Stretch come through today,

Freddy lifts lid on snubbed star's mystery Blues exit: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...xclusive/1ec84ca8-6d40-4cee-be3e-4cd9256083d8

'Need to be ready' - Bunnies nervous wait as truth behind NSW exit revealed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/6ab9cdf388ca8e9450b5fe276c139eea

The Daily Telegraph is reporting he needed fluid drained from his sternum this week. If he is a 50/50 chance of playing right now, I can't see much changing before the captain's run tomorrow morning. All week I've had a gut feeling he'd play, but now I'm not so sure about that. I really want to see him play, we really need him this week against the Raiders but if he's in doubt, just rest him. He's too valuable to risk.

If Campbell is not good to go, I'd go with Jed at right center, keep Taane on the wing. This is how they've trained so it sounds like this is what will happen.

In other big news, the Telegraph is reporting the club is 'quietly confident' Keaon will return in this one. Fingers crossed. Again, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

The rookies and replacements set to step up over Origin: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/05/25/the-rookies-and-replacements-set-to-step-up-over-origin/

callmack1

Staff member
Stars set to shine under Demetriou's new look Rabbitohs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/stars-set-to-shine-under-demetrious-new-look-rabbitohs

Another great game day eve presser from JD. Spoke very well again. You get the sense he's pretty strong on how average we were last week so sticking to our process and being huge improvers this week is the focus, despite who we're missing. JD seems pretty focused on sticking to our process, so I get the feeling the boys are in for a much better performance this week.

Pretty gutted that Stretch is out, that's a huge blow. Massive for us. He'll be a real loss. We were already under strength so really needed him. But oh well, good to give him a rest. It's now about that next man up mentality which has proven to be strong this Season. I expect Jed to play center despite reports that Kennar will come in. Defence needs to be on in this one and Kennar is not the answer to that.

Keaon back somewhat offsets that loss. Huge in. Very excited to see him go at it again tomorrow!

Gallery - Round 13 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-round-13-captains-run

Bunnies' blow and big boost for Origin bolter - Late Mail: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/6ab9cdf388ca8e9450b5fe276c139eea

callmack1

Staff member
'I'm not done in that jersey' - Cook vows to bounce back from Blues snub: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...nce-back-from-blues-snub-20230526-p5dbmd.html

Expecting some big games from Cooky in the coming weeks, starting tomorrow night. He has a lot to prove, not to us Souths fans, we appreciate what he does, but to Brad Fittler. I'd love to see him step up and just own the side tomorrow along with Cody.

Also, SMH confirming that Jed will play center so that's good news.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Far out this week has flown by but as we all rise and shine on this morning, I say a happy game day to all South Sydney members and fans. A big one for us today, a big game day as we take on the Raiders tonight out there at Accor. An important game in the context of our Season as a potential win would be massive for our mentality moving forward. We're missing a lot; they're not missing many so a potential result here tonight would just be massive.

It's going to be a big test in this one, there's no doubt about that. Canberra is a very good side this year when they turn it on, one that is genuinely capable of beating anyone. Before last week, along with us, they were the form team of the competition and were looking absolutely red hot. I know they beat some lower sides in that run, but they still had a huge win over the ladder leading Broncos to prove they are a very dangerous outfit. They got touched up last week quite badly and if anything, I think that makes them even more dangerous tonight as they'll be looking to make amends and bounce back. No doubt they'll come our firing right from the start and try to maintain that the whole game. When you look across their line up, it really is quite formidable, especially now that their main Origin players have retired from that arena (great timing). Headlined by Wighton, Papali'i and Tapine, it's one hell of a side for an Origin effected game. They go in as favourites in my opinion, we're the underdogs so I'm under no allusion as to how tough it's going to be tonight.

Because of all this, we'll really find out what our guys are made of tonight. Our backs are somewhat against the wall and Canberra will smell blood, but we have to stand up, be counted and give it to them despite the odds. Tonight, is not about who we are missing, if we go in with that mentality, we'll get nowhere. Tonight, is about who is out there, it's about that next man up mentality. EVERYONE, and I mean everyone needs to lift. We need everyone pulling their weight tonight if we are to get this result. Not only that, but there's no reason not to be motivated today. Similar to the Raiders, we were very poor last week and got clapped so I think the boys will be burning to bounce back and right the wrongs. They should be extremely motivated when you factor all that in and the fact that we're missing some guys. I think that fires the boys up even more as they'll all know they need to go to that next level. There's some exciting storylines for us tonight. Taaffey returning, Keaon back, Shaq back, Tallis on debut. There really is no excuse to not be switched on tonight. JD nailed it yesterday, get our game right, get our defence right, play Rabbitohs Footy and we give ourselves a real chance.

Jeez I'm burning for this one today boys and girls!! Really want this win! If we could somehow get it done, it would be our biggest win of the Season so far, I believe. Going to be extremely tough, a big test but we'll be up for it! I'm backing the boys for a famous win; they can do this!! Let's goooooo!!

Glory, Glory.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are Game Day is upon us as we are back at Accor Stadium a home game against the Raiders. It’s going to be a very tough game. I’ve got a bit of a different feeling to normal that feel of it being origin time and not having our origin boys makes me feel a bit flat but then again it’s an exciting team as JD has said and it’s a great challenge over this period. Last week was not Rabbitohs footy we were off in all areas pretty much lethargic, effort areas down, defence worst it’s been all year, kicking game very poor, discipline poor we had won 6 in a row prior though but we need to take the lessons out of last week as we did not stick to our process. The Raiders were also poor last week and let in a lot of points like we did. What’s more is this is the first time we play Canberra since we signed Wighton. Ricky will be up for this game and he will be firing his boys up delivering them a passionate speech before the game I’m certain about really taking it to us.

Looking at the Raiders they have a strong pack still even without Hudson and Whitehead Tapine, Papal’i, Horse, Guler, CHN etc…… they have such a big forward pack and they’ll be looking to take it to us in the middle. Then they have Fogarty and of course Wighton in the halves both very dangerous players. And at the back they have Seb Kris who has been playing well and young Timoko is having a great season. So they have plenty of strike out wide as well. For us we are down 7 players as we all know but it’s about that next man up mentality we do have solid depth in our squad and some of the fringe boys now get to put their best foot forward. No Campbell is a big out but Jed I feel can a do job for us as he has done before. It’ll be good to see Ta’affe get some game time he will be very keen, we have Keaon back from injury is a big in and and welcome back Shaq. If our forwards can hang in there and match the Raiders as best we can that brings Cookie into the game who will be ready to rip in stinging from missing out on origin. Cody and Lachy need to be better as well in regards to our kicking game. Really we just need to lift in all areas compared to last week. We need to be up for the game from the start otherwise Canberra will pull our pants down. It’s gonna be so tough but we need to dig deep get back to that defensive mindset.

Well not long to the players run out onto Accor Stadium here tonight great to see so much red and green in the stands here on this cold Saturday evening. Let’s make sure everyone watching at home and on fox knows that this is South Sydney turf and a South Sydney home game. Let’s do all we can to get the boys those 2 important competition points tonight. Also a special mention to Tallis Duncan what a story it is and the young lad makes his debut tonight and I’m sure he wont let us down.

Ok as we look down the tunnel here at Accor Stadium we can see the boys from the nations capital about to make their way out………. Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Canberra Raiders……….

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1………..

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FEEEEETTTTTTT….. SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YA FEET SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!!!

LETS GO RABBITOHS

BBBOOOOOOO GET EM ONSIDE ATKINS

SECOND EFFORT SIR LEG PULL BBBBOOOOOOOOO

WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS ATKINS PULL THE WHISTLE OUT OF YA ARSE

BBBBBOOOOOOOOO FORWARD PASS

HOW LONG CAN THEY LAY ON FOR BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS ATKINS BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Steenson123

Juniors
A tough game and where the back-ups need strong performances. If the squad is to have any chance of reaching its final goal they need to be 10-5 OR 11-4 at the First Bye. We have a lot missing so the back-ups must step up for 2-3 games and do the bizzo. If not, season may be in the swamp.

callmack1

Staff member
Our biggest test of the Season is about to get underway. I'm extremely nervous for this one but I know the boys can do it, I just know they can.

Lift, just everyone lift!! Play to our potential and we will shock the Raiders.

Let's goooooo!!!!!

Glory, Glory.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
22 missed tackles, 950 to 531 metres gained.
We are getting steamrolled in the middle, and we don't seem to have the personnel to stop it

Nealo 12

Bench

Well here we are Game Day is upon us as we are back at Accor Stadium a home game against the Raiders. It’s going to be a very tough game. I’ve got a bit of a different feeling to normal that feel of it being origin time and not having our origin boys makes me feel a bit flat but then again it’s an exciting team as JD has said and it’s a great challenge over this period. Last week was not Rabbitohs footy we were off in all areas pretty much lethargic, effort areas down, defence worst it’s been all year, kicking game very poor, discipline poor we had won 6 in a row prior though but we need to take the lessons out of last week as we did not stick to our process. The Raiders were also poor last week and let in a lot of points like we did. What’s more is this is the first time we play Canberra since we signed Wighton. Ricky will be up for this game and he will be firing his boys up delivering them a passionate speech before the game I’m certain about really taking it to us.

Looking at the Raiders they have a strong pack still even without Hudson and Whitehead Tapine, Papal’i, Horse, Guler, CHN etc…… they have such a big forward pack and they’ll be looking to take it to us in the middle. Then they have Fogarty and of course Wighton in the halves both very dangerous players. And at the back they have Seb Kris who has been playing well and young Timoko is having a great season. So they have plenty of strike out wide as well. For us we are down 7 players as we all know but it’s about that next man up mentality we do have solid depth in our squad and some of the fringe boys now get to put their best foot forward. No Campbell is a big out but Jed I feel can a do job for us as he has done before. It’ll be good to see Ta’affe get some game time he will be very keen, we have Keaon back from injury is a big in and and welcome back Shaq. If our forwards can hang in there and match the Raiders as best we can that brings Cookie into the game who will be ready to rip in stinging from missing out on origin. Cody and Lachy need to be better as well in regards to our kicking game. Really we just need to lift in all areas compared to last week. We need to be up for the game from the start otherwise Canberra will pull our pants down. It’s gonna be so tough but we need to dig deep get back to that defensive mindset.

Well not long to the players run out onto Accor Stadium here tonight great to see so much red and green in the stands here on this cold Saturday evening. Let’s make sure everyone watching at home and on fox knows that this is South Sydney turf and a South Sydney home game. Let’s do all we can to get the boys those 2 important competition points tonight. Also a special mention to Tallis Duncan what a story it is and the young lad makes his debut tonight and I’m sure he wont let us down.

Ok as we look down the tunnel here at Accor Stadium we can see the boys from the nations capital about to make their way out………. Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Canberra Raiders……….

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1………..

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FEEEEETTTTTTT….. SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YA FEET SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!!!

LETS GO RABBITOHS

BBBOOOOOOO GET EM ONSIDE ATKINS

SECOND EFFORT SIR LEG PULL BBBBOOOOOOOOO

WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS ATKINS PULL THE WHISTLE OUT OF YA ARSE

BBBBBOOOOOOOOO FORWARD PASS

HOW LONG CAN THEY LAY ON FOR BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS ATKINS BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Nek minute

Runrabbit14

Juniors
22 missed tackles, 950 to 531 metres gained.
We are getting steamrolled in the middle, and we don't seem to have the personnel to stop it
Hats off to Cody who tried his guts out !
Totally outmuscled in the forwards and the damage was done through the middle.
Certainly haven’t been as hungry as the opposition the last 2 weeks.
Tallis Duncan looked the goods in his couple of touch’s.

callmack1

Staff member
Well, this is easily the most pissed off I've been after a game this year. FILTHY with the boys. So friggin angry. I don't even know how to describe it to be honest. That game was extremely winnable the way it ended up going, but the boys threw it away with some terrible, terrible defensive efforts. Or should I say non-efforts?

That's what this friggin loss comes down to, it's all defence. I am appalled by some of the efforts out there tonight, absolutely appalled. Schoolboy stuff. No effort, no starch, no toughness, no bravery, no ability to read a play. It was like the Raiders just folded us at will. The boys simply didn't want to put their bodies in front and do the tough stuff. It was weak as piss, especially through the middle. Absolutely weak as piss. What makes it even worse, is that it wasn't just guys like Cartwright and Milne doing it, it was our regulars like Sele and Tatola, Cook, Ilias and Knight etc. Just pathetic, simply pathetic.

How do we go from being the second-best team defensively over 11 Rounds to then conceding 30 two weeks in a row? It's dog shit and simply not good enough. I know we had some star forwards out but having guys out doesn't stop you from putting your body on the line and putting your body in front of someone else like you're friggin paid to do. There is no excuse. Would we have won with a full complement of players? Yea, probably. But the fact of the matter is that they weren't there. The guys that were there should have been good enough to get the job done but they didn't want to defend simple as that.

What makes it even more frustrating is that our attack was on fire. Possibly as good as it's looked all year. Cody was destroying them, picking them apart play-by-play. I kept saying all game that we'll get them if we can defend. The boys are on in attack and Canberra leak points, but they just didn't want to defend.

In regard to Atkins, yes, I agree he was poor. Gave us nothing and came up with some real howlers. I hate his guts, yea. But to blame him for our loss is just as piss weak as our defensive line was tonight. As bad as the ref was, he's not the reason we lost. Our defence was. This loss is all on us.

Just so disappointed and angry. FILTHY with the boys. We expect so much better and another game that we could have, and should have won slips away.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Finished watching I feel like there are two reasons we lost one being Tapine and Papali’i had a field day with us greatly missing Murray, Arrow and Tom. And the second one is our right edge haemorrhaged points it was so bad. Oh that Raiders second last try Jed was caught so far in field on previous tackle and it left Duncan and Milne outnumbered and they had an overlap. On the last one Lachy and Jed both missed their assignment and Wighton made us pay.

I feel like the effort was there but we were just on the back foot. If Campbell was there I actually think we win.

We just do not have any depth in the outside backs as we know.

People hanging Milne out to dry he didn’t have the best night but I actually feel he’s competent when Campbell plays. I thought a lot of the tried we conceded down that edge were Jed’s fault he looked all at sea.

Our kicking game again wasn’t great I’m still waiting for our number 7 to take charge of the kicking game. In a few of them he was not standing deep enough again and hence got found out a few times.

Knight was gassed after 5mins he was woeful so far off first grade standard.

I thought Duncan was good but needs to bulk up a bit more. Shaq and DSF did not let us down. Host and Chee Kam were ordinary.

Cody was our best and I thought Tass had a strong game.

Junior a poor first stint but much better second stint. It was a solid first game back from Keaon.

As for Atkins we knew it was coming. With 4mins to go we had a big chance too and he calls forward pass off a pass that’s 1 metre backwards after letting Canberra get away with at least 8 forward passes during the game.

Next two games against Titans and Dragons I feel are must win. We have to get it done.

Disappointing to lose tonight but I wasn’t confident going in.

Latest posts