What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - v Panthers

Yo
Did you read the stuff I wrote? Mate. My hate posts were coming out of me like hot lava. But at full time. I was extremely happy to be proven wrong.
You are a true fan like the rest of us.
The others they speak of are willing us to lose - They are not true supporters

You are pissed off when we fail - fair enough!
But happy as a pig in poop when we achieve -You beauty!

Good on you for wearing your heart on your sleeve

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What the Couchmans have is a bit of late footwork at the line which gives them the opportunity to put their noses through as well as being able to get a quick play the ball which is what Liddle needs.
Liddle off this with Sloan lurking would be ideal.
Yes great observation re the Couchmans mate....I noticed the late bit of footwork as well....just allows them to get their heads in front of the defence and makes them that bit harder to be tackled......and as you said the quick play the ball certainly helps....makes the opposition have to retreat back and try to negate the attack......we need to give these blokes as much 1st grade experience sooner rather than later.....along with young Finau they are the now and the future of this club

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
Just seeing the extended highlights and the Finau second half charge to the half way from the kick off. A very much younger me has this memory of a St George red haired recruit from Illawarra called Shane McKellar (I think) catch a deep kick off at the hospital north end of Kogarah jubilee and simply charge with pace and power back through the opposing forward pack, beat the fullback and then out paced everyone to score.

It was a first grade game decades ago. Does anyone on the forum remember this try at Kogarah at the Carlton school end? I have not seen a kick off return try again in 1st grade.

justadragon

Bench
Just seeing the extended highlights and the Finau second half charge to the half way from the kick off. A very much younger me has this memory of a St George red haired recruit from Illawarra called Shane McKellar (I think) catch a deep kick off at the hospital north end of Kogarah jubilee and simply charge with pace and power back through the opposing forward pack, beat the fullback and then out paced everyone to score.

It was a first grade game decades ago. Does anyone on the forum remember this try at Kogarah at the Carlton school end? I have not seen a kick off return try again in 1st grade.
I cant say I recall that try rasaint but I think the Dragons have scored a couple of kick return try's from memory. I believe one may have been scored by Nightingale after a short kick off to win a game. Maybe a browse through youtube will jog the memory.

Dragon David

First Grade

Yes, I was at the game rasaint sitting in my year long reserved seat at Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

It was round 4 of 1980 against the Penrith Panthers in their milk chocolate brown jerseys. Shane McKellar scored two tries that afternoon one of which was as you have described clearly. I couldn't stop from laughing how he zipped through from our goal line to the Panthers try line to score a fantastic solo try. We won 36-12 that day and the details of the points scored and players of both teams is as follows:-

VodkaSaint

Juniors

he didnt stick around for long, in the end was not good enough

justadragon

Bench
Yes, I was at the game rasaint sitting in my year long reserved seat at Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

It was round 4 of 1980 against the Penrith Panthers in their milk chocolate brown jerseys. Shane McKellar scored two tries that afternoon one of which was as you have described clearly. I couldn't stop from laughing how he zipped through from our goal line to the Panthers try line to score a fantastic solo try. We won 36-12 that day and the details of the points scored and players of both teams is as follows:-

Great job Dave, wow looking through those sheets gee there were some names you tend to forget. What great names there were on that team sheet, give anything to have someone like G Wynn with us now.

Dragon David

First Grade
Great job Dave, wow looking through those sheets gee there were some names you tend to forget. What great names there were on that team sheet, give anything to have someone like G Wynn with us now.
Exactly justa. Such a great period of time the late 70's (winning two grand finals) and the early 80's. Bath was a great coach for us and life was such a joy on refection. 40+ years ago when the cost of living was good for most people and less stress all round. Although I had my first divorce about that time - oh well, such is life.

BLM01

First Grade

Brett Morris against Broncos at Suncorp mid-late 2000's

justadragon

Bench
Did anyone notice how quiet Mr Turuva was, just goes to show that if you haven't got the players inside you to make you look good then there is an issue. Also I wonder what Matt Feigai said to him as he ran over the top of him to score. Just goes to show that maybe we should really start looking in our own backyard again for players we thought were useless. Yes that includes me, I was really surprised at the improvement of both Feigai's and Finau. The Couchman's spoke for themselves. It really does emphasise that poor coaching equates to poor player performance. Yes there is a limit where the player then has to have talent, but there is no excuse for not having the basic skills. I was pretty impressed by both of them on Saturday, I could just see someone like Bennett or Bellamy picking them up and turning them into stars. The player market as we know is pretty grim so maybe we already have gems in our lower grades and just didnt want to look at it.

Victoire

Juniors
Did anyone notice how quiet Mr Turuva was, just goes to show that if you haven't got the players inside you to make you look good then there is an issue. Also I wonder what Matt Feigai said to him as he ran over the top of him to score. Just goes to show that maybe we should really start looking in our own backyard again for players we thought were useless. Yes that includes me, I was really surprised at the improvement of both Feigai's and Finau. The Couchman's spoke for themselves. It really does emphasise that poor coaching equates to poor player performance. Yes there is a limit where the player then has to have talent, but there is no excuse for not having the basic skills. I was pretty impressed by both of them on Saturday, I could just see someone like Bennett or Bellamy picking them up and turning them into stars. The player market as we know is pretty grim so maybe we already have gems in our lower grades and just didnt want to look at it.
Mate that was one of my favourite moments of the night. Our unloved reserve grader Matt Feagai trampling the bloke who rejected our contract offer on the way to an important try. Very satisfying.

Anyway, a very good, surprising win. The Flanno half time spray must have been a beauty because they were transformed in that second half. Hopefully we see that iteration of the team in terms of attitude and intent for the entire rest of the season

justadragon

Bench
Mate that was one of my favourite moments of the night. Our unloved reserve grader Matt Feagai trampling the bloke who rejected our contract offer on the way to an important try. Very satisfying.

Anyway, a very good, surprising win. The Flanno half time spray must have been a beauty because they were transformed in that second half. Hopefully we see that iteration of the team in terms of attitude and intent for the entire rest of the season
100%, I think that Flanno had enough of these good/bad/ugly halves, and he gave it to them good and proper. I think you cant talk to players like that these days went out the window. About time to.

Dragon David

First Grade
100%, I think that Flanno had enough of these good/bad/ugly halves, and he gave it to them good and proper. I think you cant talk to players like that these days went out the window. About time to.
I'm just wondering if Ben Hunt played in this game, would Flanno have given the players a blast at half time or would he have just done his "usual" half time talk knowing that Ben Hunt was playing and is the captain to get the guys doing what they did without him? I think that if Hunt played, we lose.

Going back to your comment about our "hidden treasures" being guys like Feagaii, Couchman boys, Finau and others etc., these guys can do the club proud in my opinion and while a couple of bigger, stronger forwards are needed, there may not be a need to go all out for those other players like Blaize Talagi.

Latest posts