What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - v Panthers

justadragon

Bench
I'm just wondering if Ben Hunt played in this game, would Flanno have given the players a blast at half time or would he have just done his "usual" half time talk knowing that Ben Hunt was playing and is the captain to get the guys doing what they did without him? I think that if Hunt played, we lose.

Going back to your comment about our "hidden treasures" being guys like Feagaii, Couchman boys, Finau and others etc., these guys can do the club proud in my opinion and while a couple of bigger, stronger forwards are needed, there may not be a need to go all out for those other players like Blaize Talagi.
It would be a sad state of affairs Dave if BH restricted Flanno in what he wanted to say, especially in the fact that Hunt is usually responsible for not managing a game.

rasaint

Juniors
Thank you Dragon David for your amazing ‘corporate knowledge’ about Shane McKellar’s try in 1980. Don’t remember the Brett Morris kick off one, nor Matt Duffy ( Duff has a long of long range try’s).

Hoping the team can jag a few more wins. The Panthers were down many top quality players; still we went well and I always liked the look of Matt Fegai, whilst a slow winger can carry blokes over the line. I have mused about him adding 5 kgs and being a strong backrower.

since77

Juniors
I'd also like to give a shout out to Cleary who showed his class and at least acknowledged the defensive pressure the Dragons put on. He said "credit to them they came well prepared for what they had to do". A class act.
Yep at least he was classier than their fans.
According to their fans a win doesn't count if you have players missing....even if the team that beat you had a crapload of players missing too.........

He dropped the ball when Saints had them on the ropes and threw a forward pass when they made a break.
Understandable in those conditions SM. It is what Suli does with ball under the arm that counts, without his power and thrust we'd be in far less scoring zones. Mosese averages 135m, 33 tackle busts and about 50 TCMs every match. Do you want that kinda impact being wasted in Ressies. I reckon he'd make a terrific edgie.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Thank you Dragon David for your amazing ‘corporate knowledge’ about Shane McKellar’s try in 1980. Don’t remember the Brett Morris kick off one, nor Matt Duffy ( Duff has a long of long range try’s).

Hoping the team can jag a few more wins. The Panthers were down many top quality players; still we went well and I always liked the look of Matt Fegai, whilst a slow winger can carry blokes over the line. I have mused about him adding 5 kgs and being a strong backrower.
No problems rasaint. However, don't ask me too much else for me to remember as this particular one from McKellar has been embedded into my memory cells for a very long time for some reason. It was a try that was sort of came out of the blue and unexpected and the way he ran around all of the Panther players on that day was so thrilling.

I hope that we have a gun runner coming into our system to excite the fans.

I am sure that we will win a few more games. We need to maintain good team work and if we have just one player that can really swing games to our advantage then maybe we go on a roll.

As I have said somewhere else, this years comp is any clubs to win as each team is beatable. Gotta keep the dream alive rasaint.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Yep at least he was classier than their fans.
According to their fans a win doesn't count if you have players missing....even if the team that beat you had a crapload of players missing too.........
Yeah I had a bit of banter with a few of them since77, they are just not used to losing and especially to the Dragons, just like we are not used to winning especially at Penrith, check out the record books guys Dragons 22 Penrith 10, next please !!!

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Did anyone notice how quiet Mr Turuva was, just goes to show that if you haven't got the players inside you to make you look good then there is an issue. Also I wonder what Matt Feigai said to him as he ran over the top of him to score. Just goes to show that maybe we should really start looking in our own backyard again for players we thought were useless. Yes that includes me, I was really surprised at the improvement of both Feigai's and Finau. The Couchman's spoke for themselves. It really does emphasise that poor coaching equates to poor player performance. Yes there is a limit where the player then has to have talent, but there is no excuse for not having the basic skills. I was pretty impressed by both of them on Saturday, I could just see someone like Bennett or Bellamy picking them up and turning them into stars. The player market as we know is pretty grim so maybe we already have gems in our lower grades and just didnt want to look at it.
I have a soft spot for both Mat and Max, Max looks trimmer from other years and injury free currently and playing well, Mat as well is playing well all he is missing is a yard or two of pace unfortunately for him.

justadragon

Bench
I have a soft spot for both Mat and Max, Max looks trimmer from other years and injury free currently and playing well, Mat as well is playing well all he is missing is a yard or two of pace unfortunately for him.
Totally agree mate, I was one of the ones that jumped on the get rid of Feagai bandwagon because of the things he was doing and Max was doing or not doing. But I regret that now having seen them live last Saturday they really do deserve my apologies and all the cudos for working hard under a proper coaching regime.

justadragon

Bench
BTW I thought I would mention this, I liked JDB in the PC with Flanno. JDB knows the score and is aware of what his indiscretion cost him and his family, not to mention several SOO and Australian appearances. But he is a Dragon thru and thru, he leads the way, pumps up the boys and sets the example on the field. Everyone deserves a second chance if they have shown remorse and changed their ways, if its good enough for his wife to accept that its good enough for me. If we cant find a way to keep this guy for a couple more years it will be a tragedy.

Dragon David

First Grade
BTW I thought I would mention this, I liked JDB in the PC with Flanno. JDB knows the score and is aware of what his indiscretion cost him and his family, not to mention several SOO and Australian appearances. But he is a Dragon thru and thru, he leads the way, pumps up the boys and sets the example on the field. Everyone deserves a second chance if they have shown remorse and changed their ways, if its good enough for his wife to accept that its good enough for me. If we cant find a way to keep this guy for a couple more years it will be a tragedy.
I loved JDB's passion when the full time sounded. Why would you not keep such a player that plays with so much passion and more importantly loves the red v. I rarely see this guy do anything wrong when he is on the field.
Yes I agree with you both justa and Slippery regarding JDB. Leads by example on the field and his heart is for the Red V. He should remain our captain in fact.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Deserves a second chance? what for? cheating on his wife perhaps but thats none of mine nor your business, and his wife has certainly stuck by him. The only other thing he went through was 2 1/2 years of persecution, had some suspicious interference from people who were wielding power without proof when they really shouldn't have, and through the whole time kept his senses and has returned to play the game he loves - whilst as you point out having missed out on rep honours and career games in the red V. He is still giving his all for the club and he is in our top 3 forwards, if not our best. I am proud of him and the character he has demonstrated.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
JDB seems to have been forgiven by his missus which is what should count, but not many others especially within the NRL. The way the some "refs" are officiating against Saints is as if they hate JDB wfor what he was accused of and the club in general for supporting him hence the extremely bad calls against Saints. Some are so blatant it is not funny. He is better off going to England to be honest but if he stays in the NRL I hope it is with Saints however this poor officiating will continue. Maybe why no other clubs are queuing up to get him because he has to much baggage.

since77

Juniors
Deserves a second chance? what for? cheating on his wife perhaps but thats none of mine nor your business, and his wife has certainly stuck by him. The only other thing he went through was 2 1/2 years of persecution, had some suspicious interference from people who were wielding power without proof when they really shouldn't have, and through the whole time kept his senses and has returned to play the game he loves - whilst as you point out having missed out on rep honours and career games in the red V. He is still giving his all for the club and he is in our top 3 forwards, if not our best. I am proud of him and the character he has demonstrated.
JDb is playing well this year. I'm also sure he loves the club.
However I will never ever be able to say I'm "proud of him and the character he has demonstrated."
No matter how well he plays I always have an extremely hollow feeling when watching him.
Still amazed people can disregard what happened. All males of course.