What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 Vs The Bulldogs

BxTom

Bench
There are questions over Moylan's defence and, iirc, Edwards was a little shaky under the bomb and there seems to be mixed reviews of Rein. Also, Mansour will likely be a little rusty for a week or two. Let's hope that we can get a win, no matter how messy. That will give them some much needed confidence and we'll have had a week extra to settle into a new team structure.

Go the Mighty Panthers!!

Tom.

OldPanther

Coach
There are questions over Moylan's defence and, iirc, Edwards was a little shaky under the bomb and there seems to be mixed reviews of Rein. Also, Mansour will likely be a little rusty for a week or two. Let's hope that we can get a win, no matter how messy. That will give them some much needed confidence and we'll have had a week extra to settle into a new team structure.

Go the Mighty Panthers!!

Tom.

The Moylan is bad at defence thing is a myth. We've seen him do it well in origin last year against a very good team who targeted him.

Moylan is going to miss some tackles but I'm confident it won't be any worse than the average half.

The guy next to him needs to be doing most of that work, presume this will be CHN.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hard to see Moylan doing worse than Cartwright in any area of being a 6.

Moylan will miss tackles. But Maloney is the best half NSW have and he missed between 5 and 10 tackles a game and gives away penalties like theres no tomorrow

OldPanther

Coach

Moylan will miss tackles. But Maloney is the best half NSW have and he missed between 5 and 10 tackles a game and gives away penalties like theres no tomorrow

Exactly. Why does everyone and their dog say that Moylan’s defence isn't good enough to be half at origin/club level yet most halves aren't good defenders at all. That includes the likes of JT/Cronk/Maloney. Really bugs me.

Exactly. Why does everyone and their dog say that Moylan’s defence isn't good enough to be half at origin/club level yet most halves aren't good defenders at all. That includes the likes of JT/Cronk/Maloney. Really bugs me.
Normally the same people who put the misguided faith in Griffin

mxlegend99

Referee
Those people will now say hes a terrific defender and Griffin is a genius for waiting to use him at 5/8th. As if 12 months ago he couldnt have handled the move and we wouldnt be better off today.

Frankus

Juniors
I think Moylan will be defensively sound. Its his urgency at the back that sometimes makes his defence seem shakey but his contact is pretty good most of the time.

Is Cronk's defence anywhere near as bad as JT, Maloney, Milford, Taylor, Moses, Brooks, Widdop, etc? I agree all halves miss tackles but I would have thought he is one of the better defensive halves in the comp along with DCE, Foran, Pearce and Reynolds. No idea how many tackles each of these guys make and miss, just what I perceive.

OldPanther

Coach
I think Moylan will be defensively sound. His defence is pretty good most of the time.

Is Cronk's defence anywhere near as bad as JT, Maloney, Milford, Taylor, Moses, Brooks, Widdop, etc? I agree all halves miss tackles but I would have thought he is one of the better defensive halves in the comp along with DCE, Foran, Pearce and Reynolds. No idea how many tackles each of these guys make and miss, just what I perceive.

I think you're right about Cronk.

betcats

Referee
I think Moylan will be defensively sound. Its his urgency at the back that sometimes makes his defence seem shakey but his contact is pretty good most of the time.

Cronk is a gun defender for a half, Pearce is probably on the same level as well. DCE, Foran and Reynolds are very good. There are probably more good defensive halves.

From what ive seen I think Moylan will fall somewhere in the middle, he will never be as good as cronk or pearce but hopefully will be a bit better than Maloney and Brooks.

franklin2323

Immortal

Maloney has some good defenders around him to cover at both club and SOO. When we get JFH fit he will be fine until then he may struggle purely the fact he is 91kg means teams will try to get a 105kg backrower one on one with him. The key is to not get him isolated as we have done with Cartwright in the past

franklin2323

Immortal

Look at the backrowers at those clubs you put Moses or Brooks next to Wade Graham or Gavin Cooper and it isn't as bad as the nuffy's at the Tigers

Frankus

Juniors
Cronk is a gun defender for a half, Pearce is probably on the same level as well. DCE, Foran and Reynolds are very good. There are probably more good defensive halves.

From what ive seen I think Moylan will fall somewhere in the middle, he will never be as good as cronk or pearce but hopefully will be a bit better than Maloney and Brooks.

He will get a fair amount of traffic you would assume so if he handles it as well as say a Keary or Johnson, I'd be happy. If he goes as well as Cronk or DCE, that is a bonus.

betcats

Referee
He will get a fair amount of traffic you would assume so if he handles it as well as say a Keary or Johnson, I'd be happy. If he goes as well as Cronk or DCE, that is a bonus.

He just has to put his body on the line and get in front, after that it just comes down to how well the other side isolates him and how well our guys 'protect' him. Hopefully he has a good tackling technique like Cleary. If he is going to struggle with anything I think it will be his reads and decision making, that is mostly experience.

On a side not I think Cleary will be every bit as good as Cronk and Pearce one day and is already one of the better defensive halves.

Frankus

Juniors
Look at the backrowers at those clubs you put Moses or Brooks next to Wade Graham or Gavin Cooper and it isn't as bad as the nuffy's at the Tigers
Can see where you are coming from with that argument. Wade Graham doesn't stop Maloney from missing 5+ tackles a game though. He just plugs the hole. A good defender isn't going to stop a shit defender from missing a tackle. Lockyer missed heaps of tackles playing in the halves even though it did improve. Toni Carroll deserved half of Darren's salary.

Moses defence isn't going to suddenly get better at Parra either in my opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal
Can see where you are coming from with that argument. Wade Graham doesn't stop Maloney from missing 5+ tackles a game though. He just plugs the hole. A good defender isn't going to stop a shit defender from missing a tackle. Lockyer missed heaps of tackles playing in the halves even though it did improve. Toni Carroll deserved half of Darren's salary.

Moses defence isn't going to suddenly get better at Parra either in my opinion.

Exactly Graham stops him from having to make crucial one on one tackles on the try line etc. Yeo is a good defender so I guess it comes down to who needs to better defender next to them Moylan or Cleary.

Moses will always be a shit defender due to his size. Next to Mau or whoever will just help hide him

OldPanther

Coach
Maloney has some good defenders around him to cover at both club and SOO. When we get JFH fit he will be fine until then he may struggle purely the fact he is 91kg means teams will try to get a 105kg backrower one on one with him. The key is to not get him isolated as we have done with Cartwright in the past

The one thing Moylan will have over Carty is his lateral movement. He is pretty nimble when he wants to be.