What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 V Dragons

Dragonbaal

Juniors
congrats panthers, but to be fair, you have not really played alot of the teams who are up there with you, so lets see how you go at the back end of the season.

Anyway, good to see the mountain men back in the hunt for a semis, it has been a while and loved it when you guys beat the rorters in 2003! Almost as good as the knights beating manly in the last 12 seconds in 97!

Randy81

Juniors
Naiqama had a solid game and I don't remember Blake ever playing wing.

Yep solid. Can't complain about 4 drop balls hey.

I am sure blake played wing in trials outisde idris. Notwithstanding he had a perfect build for wing and would tear it up. We cannot pigeon hole someone of that ability - especially when outside backs are often interchangeable

chrisD

Coach
Yep solid. Can't complain about 4 drop balls hey.

I am sure blake played wing in trials outisde idris. Notwithstanding he had a perfect build for wing and would tear it up. We cannot pigeon hole someone of that ability - especially when outside backs are often interchangeable

What 4 drops?

mxlegend99

Referee
Kevin was deadset awful. He can't play that badly again you would imagine, but he shouldn't have another chance if Nabouli, DWZ and Blake are available.

He justified Clearly keeping Simmons in the team ahead of him.

chrisD

Coach
Awful by only stopping a try 2 of 3 times when outnumbered and setting up one of his own. I'll take that kind of awful.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think we underestimate the importance of the Limmo. Safe as f**k & experienced. In Kevs defence he also made some good plays, but I think people are expecting him to come in & blow Simmons out of the water. He just isn't that good.

Doomednow

Bench
Ehhhhhh, Naiqama not a great game but they were kicking it to him all night. He did give a try to Whare. Outside of that not spectacular but neither was most of the team.

It seemed Mansour was out of position defensively a few times last night. We are lucky the Dragons (lol Benj) can't pass ORTH we would have had a few scored down the side.

Anyway will be interesting to see who.we select in coming weeks. I suspect it will be Naiqama again, but with Simmons out for up to 6 and DWZ for four Nabuli might get lucky.

TheFrog

Coach
If you guys play like last night, it will be 4 losses.

The only time Penrith were in danger of losing was in that last minute until St George turned over the ball.

It was like hundreds of Penrith performances in the past, especially in their early years, only the positions were reversed. St George did play well, and never gave up, but they were never a chance of winning the game. Just not enough class in the side to do it.

Penrith need to improve, especially completion rate/mistake rate. But people thinking it was the worst performance of the year can't have seen the Sharks game, the first Parra game, or the Rabbitohs game.

TheFrog

Coach
congrats panthers, but to be fair, you have not really played alot of the teams who are up there with you, so lets see how you go at the back end of the season.

Anyway, good to see the mountain men back in the hunt for a semis, it has been a while and loved it when you guys beat the rorters in 2003! Almost as good as the knights beating manly in the last 12 seconds in 97!

Your guys played really well. Paul McGregor might be the man for the job. He seems like a fair dinkum, no-nonsense kind of fellow. I hope the Dragons win a few and he gets the job next year.

Did anybody see Waqa Blake in NSW Cup? He scored three tries and looked like a champion in the making. He got into the clear for one of his tries and beat 3 players with a swerve a fend and sheer strength and pace. He still qualifies for u20's! He is a ball of explosive power, I can't wait to see him in first grade.

Well he certainly glides across the ground and looks quite the athlete. But he looks like he'd fit through a keyhole, and I wonder how he'd go with Radradra bearing down on him.

Naiqama will be better for the run, and DWZ will be available after only 2 more games anyway, since he's a NSW Cup player and this team doesn't have a bye next week.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match33031.html
those ones.

bringing off the line, dropped bomb, ring a bell?

Here I'll help you out as it doesn't seem like you're able to account for what you've said. The third 'drop' was him knocking down a pass two on one that stopped a try. There was no fourth drop unless they're calling his kick in the corner a drop, more likely the fourth "error" they've attributed him was him being taken into touch near the try line.

Randy81

Juniors
He dropped a bomb and one bringing it off the line, same as Moylan, now what were the other 2?

Does every thing have to be an argument ? gees. I tell you what I'll do, I'll send an official request to nrlstats and give you an exact breakdown.
I simply commented that he has some errors in his game - which we dont usually see with simmo. 2 3 4 same sh*t
I actually like the idea of kev but think we would benefit from a taller winger with aerial abilities. Soward needs a target

I am happy with the win. Not gonna argue about it. Just see a way to improve.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I reckon as bad as he was (though he didn't drop the ball four times), I'd give Naiqama another shot. Blake should be bought in as a centre if the opportunity arises (he would offer more than Yeo in attack, but not in defense).

Randy81

Juniors
Here I'll help you out as it doesn't seem like you're able to account for what you've said. The third 'drop' was him knocking down a pass two on one that stopped a try. There was no fourth drop unless they're calling his kick in the corner a drop, more likely the fourth "error" they've attributed him was him being taken into touch near the try line.

Looking after kids took priority

chrisD

Coach
I doubt Cleary will have any problem with Naiqama's performance overall. He was heavily targeted particularly in the first half and overall even with the one dropped bomb I thought he handled it pretty well. I'm not sure Mansour would have handled it as well.

We were short right a lot particularly in the first half, it was no one player's fault the team just didn't seem to number well out there, Wallace was constantly calling players over. 3 times it came down to Naiqama having to make a decision outnumbered and he saved a try 2 out of 3, the third time the last passer had a heap of time to pick his pass. Considering he pretty much just came into the team I think he defended well.

He ran solidly, hit the line ok and ate up the space the one time I think he got put away down there. Overplayed his hand once when he got taken out but another player might have done so a few more times given he had a few opportunities, and he made that one very poor drop with a loose carry.

And he set up a try with a good leap.

Overall I don't think Cleary will have a problem with the performance.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Wallace missed a few tackles last night as well. He was quite ordinary overall, again. Still, we have absolutely no depth at halves, so he ain't going anywhere. As long as we have Soward, Segeyaro, Peachey, Cartwright and Whare making things happen, we should be okay.

Pomoz

Bench
Your guys played really well. Paul McGregor might be the man for the job. He seems like a fair dinkum, no-nonsense kind of fellow. I hope the Dragons win a few and he gets the job next year.

Well he certainly glides across the ground and looks quite the athlete. But he looks like he'd fit through a keyhole, and I wonder how he'd go with Radradra bearing down on him.

Naiqama will be better for the run, and DWZ will be available after only 2 more games anyway, since he's a NSW Cup player and this team doesn't have a bye next week.
Because he has long legs, he looks skinny but he is a lithe, big unit who hasn't finished growing yet. Whenever he hit the line he was difficult to pull down because he seems to have a lot of power in his backside and core (where sprinters get their power from). He reminds me of a young Hayne in terms of running style.