What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 V Dragons

forby

Juniors
umina panther - please post your opinions anytime, and I enjoy reading the forum. But why is there so much negativity on this forum?
Cant we celebrate what is happening? In previous seasons if we played as badly as is being portrayed here we would be beaten quite badly. Instead we have now won 5 straight. Perhaps our expectations are now much higher and we expect more. I am not sure, but I would like to read more positivity about the team. I am not an ostrich and know everything is not perfect, but we are in a better position than 15 other teams are!
Where are Melbourne, Souths, Roosters, Manly and the Dogs - all supposed top teams? Behind us on the table!
So enough doom and gloom, and a bit more yahoo!

TheFrog

Coach
Just home from the game. We were OK except we kept handing it over in our own quarter. Dragons played better than expected. What happened to them tonight has happened to us hundreds of times. Teams that are going well manage to get the win.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Bye next then Warriors, Tigers, Bronx. All winnable before we meet the Roosters

If we play like we did today, all three teams will roll us. But I don't think we can possibly play that badly again.

Warriors fans want to smash us because of the Cleary factor, so I hope we go there and rub it in. But we'll have to play very, very well.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
umina panther - please post your opinions anytime, and I enjoy reading the forum. But why is there so much negativity on this forum?
Cant we celebrate what is happening? In previous seasons if we played as badly as is being portrayed here we would be beaten quite badly. Instead we have now won 5 straight. Perhaps our expectations are now much higher and we expect more. I am not sure, but I would like to read more positivity about the team. I am not an ostrich and know everything is not perfect, but we are in a better position than 15 other teams are!
Where are Melbourne, Souths, Roosters, Manly and the Dogs - all supposed top teams? Behind us on the table!
So enough doom and gloom, and a bit more yahoo!

Here are the good things about the game tonight:

1. We won
2. Our defense
3. Cartwright

They've all been mentioned, and rightly so.

But we played poorly overall. I find it amusing that Cleary's greatest fans here get so wound up when people like me focus on the negatives when that is exactly what Cleary himself would be doing. You think he is dancing around the dressing room after that display?

Puntastic

Juniors
Bye next then Warriors, Tigers, Bronx. All winnable before we meet the Roosters

We have (after these) just the worst run into the finals. We really need to build solidarity and confidence going into the rounds post Broncos.

2/3 would be fantastic. As long as one of them is the Donkeys :cool:

I mean, had we not just run 5/5, you'd say these are all probable, but the law of averages is against us. Tippers bitch, isn't it.

Doomednow

Bench
It seems to me that we often don't respect lower placed teams, but we turn up for more difficult matches. That's fine (ish. Pretty disappointing actually), but one day we are going to get caught out in an important match.

Complacency looks to be our biggest problem.

Nealo 12

First Grade
Cartwright got hooked for threatening to make the game too easy.

I think it's about the big picture, we are easing the young guns in to get them used to the grind of week to week NRL. Don't want to wreck their bodies and deflate their confidence . It's a slow and steady process, I have no problem with that .

forby

Juniors
How badly could we have played? They had 53% possession, and the penalties 7-4, and yet we still won. We have the best defence in the comp, and this result proves that this is where we win games. Maybe our attack isnt as good as some, but we have shown all season that we can stop the opposition scoring, and this wins games. What do the Warriors, Tigers or Broncos have different in attack that means that they will 'roll us'? We can score more than we concede on a regular basis and I cant see this changing anytime soon.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Anyway, Whare went well, and would have been my MOM.

We actually played quite well in the first 20 minutes and were rolling through them relatively easily. Naiqama talk a great catch at the start, and we looked solid. It all started to change when Mansour dropped that ball coming out of our end. It didn't cause our subsequent loss of control, it is just a convenient marker. Moylan looked good, but the number of major errors he commits is a worry (two tonight, one dropped ball and the other getting the ball stripped off him). Segeyaro needs to cut out the penalties, but man is he a danger at the ruck. So valuable.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
I think we can just take it as read that your response to any criticism of anything Cleary does is going to be alone the lines of "He is the coach and he knows what he is doing" so that you don't need to waste your time repeating yourself.
Well Billy, I have always based my analysis on any situation on the facts and results I see in front of me. I don't always agree with what Ivan does, but when it comes down to it, I'm just a fan, he is a qualified coach whose whole career depends on the decisions he makes. He made some decisions, we won the game, ergo he probably made more right calls than wrong calls. Matt Elliot made too many decisions that lead to bad results and therefore he didn't get my support.

I have had the fortune to be a leader where you get to make the decisions impacting a team of people and it isn't easy. Leading a team like a coach does is very difficult. Everybody is an expert and second guesses you, criticising what you do and most of the time they do not have all the information they need. It is easy to throw stones, but is difficult to stand front and centre make decisions and then be judged on them. For example, what do we know about Cartwright's attitude at training? What do we know about the data that Ivan is getting on Cartwirght's heart rate levels, the stamina levels of each of the players, injuries Cartwright brought into the game?

To be honest, I don't think most of us have enough information to criticise his detailed decisions, and I prefer to be positive in my support for a coach.

Nealo 12

First Grade
No real stand out IMO . We are a team with no super stars but altogether we make a formidable opposition !