What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - v Tigers

kit66

Bench
Matt did nothing wrong but the opposition was not exactly good 1st grade standard so not sure that is an accurate measure of "immense" improvement.

Same applies for this next week so if he is still in the top grade v Manly then we might get a better indication and hopefully he keeps his position on the basis of pure form against quality opposition.

We must be careful that in our judgement we don't just accept that if someone is performing slightly better than someone we already have then they are a automatically a 1st grade quality player.

If speed was an issue for the Fegai brothers before unless they have miraculously found a couple of yards it is still a problem now.

Yes I know Rava is not quick either but he is far more capable of running through brick wall defence and whilst some think he is a dumb footy player with no feel for the game I actually think that is not a correct assessment as he is managed to do some very silky things as well but his "brain farts" certainly detract from his performance.

One thing I have noticed this year is that Sloan has been positioned behind Rava on a fair few occassions when bombs have come to Rava's wing and Sloan has failed to come forward to contest the ball and left Rava flat footed underneath the ball where his basically standing his ground as a blocker and Sloan has pulled out and left Rava in the lurch at the 11th hour.

The good FB's own those moments and over call the other players but Sloan does not thus creating confusion.

Matt did OK but you're right, really it wasn't a great test for him or the other reserves that got a call up. It was clear by half time that even though we were down 10 points that we still had a chance because Penrith weren't playing like "Penrith" on the day. How often have we been confident enough to even think we were a chance when coming from behind against a top 4 team. Plus Matt was only called on to make two tackles in 80 minutes (he missed one of them). Good work in attack, 20 runs is admirable.
I'm glad the reserves stepped up and hope they do it again this week and glad many of them are improving but we need to see more of both Feagais before handing them a first grade jersey long term given their record. Rav is a first grader, just needs to get his mojo back.

BLM01

First Grade
I like how Flanno is rewarding good form. That is what has been missing for a while. Guys in reggies like Rava now have to bide their time and the longer they are there the more they will cherish being picked in first grade. Matt Feagai scored a Rava type try against Penrith bumping off Turuva and Tago to the line which was pretty impressive. He showed that may have the same abilities as Rava probably just never showed it. And he looks more safe under the ball. People say Matt does not score tries Rava has but would Rava have scored the try Matt did against the Broncos and Roosters to win Saints the game. I don't hate Rava but feel there is no rush to put him in as Matt is not playing bad at all.

What worries me is that these are the type of games Saints lose, the ones where us fans think they will. I really hope they win this as it is a huge chance to put them in the 8. There is a great chance Saints can get the results they need to make the 8. If Warriors beat Cows which is quite possible, Storm beat Knights, Panthers beat Manly and Eels beat dogs, then the Saints leapfrog these 4 teams to finish the round in 8th spot.....happy days. Roosters get the bye to take 7th off Manly.
The only thing Cowboys still have 3 byes up their sleeve and a better F and A

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Someone has to be the top tryscorer, best player and try assist for the year, but it was a terrible year so it means nothing really. If the team was outstanding and the had those achievements then it's worth talking about.

Hunt handles the ball more than anyone on the last so he was sure to get top try assists. Rava scored his tries playing on the wing like all other NRL teams top try scorers and Blake Lawrie winning the best player really shows the how bad the standard Saints played last year. Hunt or Rava could not even get that over Lawrie.

Lennyb

Juniors
Matt did OK but you're right, really it wasn't a great test for him or the other reserves that got a call up. It was clear by half time that even though we were down 10 points that we still had a chance because Penrith weren't playing like "Penrith" on the day. How often have we been confident enough to even think we were a chance when coming from behind against a top 4 team. Plus Matt was only called on to make two tackles in 80 minutes (he missed one of them). Good work in attack, 20 runs is admirable.
I'm glad the reserves stepped up and hope they do it again this week and glad many of them are improving but we need to see more of both Feagais before handing them a first grade jersey long term given their record. Rav is a first grader, just needs to get his mojo back.
Why is Matt captain and fullback for cup?

Big job for an average player at such a young age.

At this stage I'm still a Rav fan

Similar to Griffin swapping sides with Lomax, Rava not as effective on the other side

It's ironic that moving Lomax to Rava's wing, such a master stroke, still had unintended consequences for Rava.
Additionally Rava with Lomax at centre just click.

I'm hoping when Lomax departs 2025 , Rava can return to his preferred side and develop a lethal relationship with his centre.

Alternately, the potential to work as a middle forward, as pointed out by other posters, could prove to be a bench masterstroke in terms of impact and value should an outside back go down

Matt did nothing wrong but the opposition was not exactly good 1st grade standard so not sure that is an accurate measure of "immense" improvement.

Same applies for this next week so if he is still in the top grade v Manly then we might get a better indication and hopefully he keeps his position on the basis of pure form against quality opposition.

We must be careful that in our judgement we don't just accept that if someone is performing slightly better than someone we already have then they are a automatically a 1st grade quality player.

If speed was an issue for the Fegai brothers before unless they have miraculously found a couple of yards it is still a problem now.

Yes I know Rava is not quick either but he is far more capable of running through brick wall defence and whilst some think he is a dumb footy player with no feel for the game I actually think that is not a correct assessment as he is managed to do some very silky things as well but his "brain farts" certainly detract from his performance.

One thing I have noticed this year is that Sloan has been positioned behind Rava on a fair few occassions when bombs have come to Rava's wing and Sloan has failed to come forward to contest the ball and left Rava flat footed underneath the ball where his basically standing his ground as a blocker and Sloan has pulled out and left Rava in the lurch at the 11th hour.

The good FB's own those moments and over call the other players but Sloan does not thus creating confusion.
Good pick up RE Sloan and attacking bombs down Rava's side
The fact that he's there - means it is the plan

Rava can't jump but has always provided great cover for Lomax

Sloan has worked well on defensive bombs (Still needs improvement) but needs to also work on the attack bomb - He can jump!

I'm not slagging Sloan - I have great hopes for the kid
A legend in the making IMO

Lennyb

Juniors
Because of all the permanent Reserve graders he's the most experienced having had 3 seasons in the top grade.
If he improves enough he'll force Flanno to pick him more often and I'll be happy for him if that happens.
Flanno picked him to be captain and fullback. Pretty sure, you will be happy for him.

When its time.

kit66

Bench
we cant let go of hunt because he sets up all our tries
we cant let go of Lawrie because he was our best player last year
we cant let go of Rava because he was our leading try scorer last year

we cant change if we dont change .. rava is injured and playing badly ... flano has made a change and in one game against weaker opposition the change worked.

Flanno made one change, dropped Rav for Matt Feagai. The other "changes" were forced on him because of injury and SOO duties.
Change is ok but you can't start at the top - dumping our best - unless you have like for like or better recruits to replace them. We actually want to win games you know.
Start at the bottom, get rid of the dead wood.
Hopefully we get O'Sullivan and start recruiting with more success or things will never change.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Flanno made one change, dropped Rav for Matt Feagai. The other "changes" were forced on him because of injury and SOO duties.
Change is ok but you can't start at the top - dumping our best - unless you have like for like or better recruits to replace them. We actually want to win games you know.
Hopefully we get O'Sullivan and start recruiting with more success or things will never change.
Nu Brown was also dropped.

7 changes in total. 5 forced

TheRev

Coach
Some of the insiders have been mentioning for yonks that Rava hasnt been putting in on the training field.. it doesnt matter if hes a slightly better option than the others.. there are standards that have to be met... we dont see any of this stuff which is why we dont select the team.

Its obviously far easier for us fans to accept selection decisions when we win games :p

since77

Juniors
Some of the insiders have been mentioning for yonks that Rava hasnt been putting in on the training field.. it doesnt matter if hes a slightly better option than the others.. there are standards that have to be met... we dont see any of this stuff which is why we dont select the team.

Its obviously far easier for us fans to accept selection decisions when we win games :p
I must say I was quite surprised back when that preseason late night fight happened a few years back involving a black out drunk Rava - noting another alcohol related culture issue that seemed rife under Old School Griffin.
It was a really crappy indicator of his preseason mindset when it came to preparation.
I think he is well served by at least a short stint in the reggies. Either he pulls his head in and gets back into form or it seems we've got adequate replacements for him.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Couchman for Brown as well.

Last edited:
Sorry Dr. Are we talking about the same guys ?
Last year -
Rav 21 games - 21 tries (top 5 in the league) - 24 line breaks (top 10 / 8th) - Average 148 mtrs
Matt Feagai 23 games - 4 tries - 8 line breaks - average 117 mtrs
Defence Rav 71%, Matt 78% but recalling some of Matt's shockers from last year still gives me shivers - should have lost his jersey after the Cronulla game.
So, Chalk and cheese. I think it's Matt who's found his level playing in reserves and now possibly as a handy back up for 1sts but only when absolutely necessary.
Yes, Rav's hit a slump but his record is there for all to see and you don't just throw that away while there's still hope.
Matt on the other hand did play well last week, his stats were actually his best ever by a country mile but he'd have to repeat that many times before he gets a tick from me ( I have a long memory ) and even if he does will he ever manage stats like Rav, I doubt it.

This statement - "If he was picked this week it's nailed on that he'd just play at the level he's capable of,"
But that's why he's in reserves, because he's not playing to "his level", his usual standard, if he did then all would well. ???
Yep, same guy. He's slow, can't catch a ball, not good enough for a team that wants to win the comp. He just isn't consistently first grade standard and that's not this season, it's the sample size of his career. When I say he plays at the level he's capable of I mean, he looks good in reserve grade against an SG Ball winger. Put him in first grade and his size isn't enough. We've seen him at his ceiling, we know what it is, there's no improvement and he's been playing in a side that has been bad for the whole time he's been in it, under different coaches.