What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - v Tigers

Draginzaaar

Bench
Right on cue Tiger bashing week just before they play us
It’s almost like the media are willing the Tigers to break the 8 game losing streak
Nothing but positivity now for Wayne’s bunnies who are still 17th
Am I just being paranoid or a wedged on Dragon supporter who has seen this movie before..
we are due for our down week!

Parko1310

Juniors
i suspect that is a bit soon Hewi.
Rava responded massively in Cup last weekend.
Lets see how he responds again this week.
Rava was signed on by Flano.
Rava needs to go, he's no where near as good as a lot of people say he is. Sure, it looks cool and it's funny when he just bumps someone off to score. He's got zero football IQ though, genuinely has no idea what he's doing out there. The only thing he's good at in his game is being big and strong so he occasionally bashes his way over for a try. Even in that situation last weekend in the cup game when he ran over Iongi, any other winger in first grade or KOE dives into the corner there for any easy put down. Not Ravalawa, for whatever reason he's gotta run over the top of someone first and then put the ball down. What happens there if Iongi manages to not get bumped off and holds Rava and the ball up? We're all sitting here saying just put the ball down. This has happened before in the NRL where Rava has tried to just bump everyone off rather than just put the ball down. Granted, most of the time he's able to bump players off, but he's been held up before trying to bump players off for no apparent reason. But he just doesn't have a dive for the corner in his skill set which is shocking for a winger, and any NRL athlete really. The inability to jump is absurd

dungay dragon

Juniors
Rava needs to go, he's no where near as good as a lot of people say he is. Sure, it looks cool and it's funny when he just bumps someone off to score. He's got zero football IQ though, genuinely has no idea what he's doing out there. The only thing he's good at in his game is being big and strong so he occasionally bashes his way over for a try. Even in that situation last weekend in the cup game when he ran over Iongi, any other winger in first grade or KOE dives into the corner there for any easy put down. Not Ravalawa, for whatever reason he's gotta run over the top of someone first and then put the ball down. What happens there if Iongi manages to not get bumped off and holds Rava and the ball up? We're all sitting here saying just put the ball down. This has happened before in the NRL where Rava has tried to just bump everyone off rather than just put the ball down. Granted, most of the time he's able to bump players off, but he's been held up before trying to bump players off for no apparent reason. But he just doesn't have a dive for the corner in his skill set which is shocking for a winger, and any NRL athlete really. The inability to jump is absurd
Just re Rava
Have said for ages on here ..Would love to see him come on in 2 x 15 min periods as a damaging back rower
Would be very effective against a tiring forward pack or attacking their fringes where the halves are positioned
Re Tigers
The Boys have to be switched on for this clash
Tigers have been competitive and are coming off a bye
Hopefully not too much back slapping following last weeks win
Thinking barring injury Hunt and Lomax will play
Sua having the more expected physical performance maybe rested
Switch on Dragons

FlickFlano

Juniors
Rava - costs us tries in attack (the ball he dropped from sloan a few weeks back), costs us many more tries in defence (just an idiot who makes up his mind before the play unfolds what he is going to do).

He can steamroll twelvies in reserves no problems though.

We 100% need to get rid of players with absolutely zero game sense.

Old Timer

Coach
Rava has scored many many tries a traditional winger would never ever score.

His run over the top of them tries are as a result of not having an overlap for an easy put down rather they are from our stupid halves (especially Bunt) getting every one flat footed every time we get into the opposition attacking zone.

Our attack is severely limited and if it was better no doubt Rava would be scoring the more elegant types of tries that we see from other wingers who get to play outside smart halves.

Put him back on the right outside Lomax and I suspect that combination will score many more tries than what you will get with Lomax outside Bird.

kit66

Bench
The Tiges have some very dangerous players in Api, Galvin, Naden, Olam and Bula, switch off for a second and those guys will punish you. Even though soundly beaten last week they still managed 5 tries, albeit on a dry track against the NQ's suspect defence, with two of those tries coming in the last 5 minutes. In Wollongong, in the wet and missing half their forward pack they'll struggle unless we fail to show up as in some games this year. If we hold the ball and dominate possession we should chalk up a good win. The Tiges are very vulnerable out wide and I can't wait to see the Suli vs Staines match up.
Ex Dragon Alex Lobb gets his first starting jersey, best of luck to him.

Saints 11+

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
The main issue with Rav is that he's clearly a Right Winger only - its his ball carrying/planting arm, he's way more comfortable on that side.
At the moment - who's a better Right sided winger - Lomax or Rav?

I think Rav should've been in the side last week instead of Finau, however he played well and has deserved to keep his spot for the time being

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I am certain that Rava has scored tries other wingers couldn't have over the years. I am also certain that in 2024, and most of 2023 he has been parked outside Suli who does not pass and does not setup his winger. I think he does have football sense, and he has improved a lot in this area over his career. I doubt he is fast enough to be a winger but his size and strength do counter that somewhat. I like the idea of him coming off the bench after 20 and testing out some tiring forwards up the middle, but I don't know how he would adjust to the defence in the forwards.
Either way, with our current roster in mind, I firmly believe he is good enough to play in our top team, what role will maximise him as an asset is up to the coach to figure out - the same coach that found a spot in the SOO team for Lomax which he was not being considered for at all at the start of the season. I support Rava.

kit66

Bench
Rava - costs us tries in attack (the ball he dropped from sloan a few weeks back), costs us many more tries in defence (just an idiot who makes up his mind before the play unfolds what he is going to do).

He can steamroll twelvies in reserves no problems though.

We 100% need to get rid of players with absolutely zero game sense.

Who was our top try scorer last year in a shit, poorly coached team ?
Ravalawa - 21 tries (from 85 for the team).
Next best, Sloan with 10.

I'd persist with him, he's a weapon. Just needs to improve his defence and ball handling. He's not out there to think, he's out there to run hard and hit harder and to get us good metres off our line (which he does better than most).
Flanno has the right idea, drop him to reserves and demand better, I'm sure that will work.
Next year he'll likely move back to his preferred side with whoever takes Lomax's spot.

i suspect that is a bit soon Hewi.
Rava responded massively in Cup last weekend.
Lets see how he responds again this week.
Rava was signed on by Flano.
I don't know Auntie. I hope that he wasn't dropped just as punishment for the shit show against C***erbury but because over the whole of this season and last he's been at best inconsistent with a ceiling of average and at worst slow, bungling and useless. He ran over some SG Ball players in the wet on the weekend. To be honest, I'd expect a reserve grader to that. I'd rather this be the end of the whole Ravalawa experience. If he was picked this week it's nailed on that he'd just play at the level he's capable of, which we've seen over and over again. Know he's popular, know I'm an outlier for never rating him, but fellow reserve grader Mat Feagai has a better case to make for selection this week and that tells you everything you need to know. I reckon, anyway.

kit66

Bench
I don't know Auntie. I hope that he wasn't dropped just as punishment for the shit show against C***erbury but because over the whole of this season and last he's been at best inconsistent with a ceiling of average and at worst slow, bungling and useless. He ran over some SG Ball players in the wet on the weekend. To be honest, I'd expect a reserve grader to that. I'd rather this be the end of the whole Ravalawa experience. If he was picked this week it's nailed on that he'd just play at the level he's capable of, which we've seen over and over again. Know he's popular, know I'm an outlier for never rating him, but fellow reserve grader Mat Feagai has a better case to make for selection this week and that tells you everything you need to know. I reckon, anyway.

Sorry Dr. Are we talking about the same guys ?
Last year -
Rav 21 games - 21 tries (top 5 in the league) - 24 line breaks (top 10 / 8th) - Average 148 mtrs
Matt Feagai 23 games - 4 tries - 8 line breaks - average 117 mtrs
Defence Rav 71%, Matt 78% but recalling some of Matt's shockers from last year still gives me shivers - should have lost his jersey after the Cronulla game.
So, Chalk and cheese. I think it's Matt who's found his level playing in reserves and now possibly as a handy back up for 1sts but only when absolutely necessary.
Yes, Rav's hit a slump but his record is there for all to see and you don't just throw that away while there's still hope.
Matt on the other hand did play well last week, his stats were actually his best ever by a country mile but he'd have to repeat that many times before he gets a tick from me ( I have a long memory ) and even if he does will he ever manage stats like Rav, I doubt it.

This statement - "If he was picked this week it's nailed on that he'd just play at the level he's capable of,"
But that's why he's in reserves, because he's not playing to "his level", his usual standard, if he did then all would well. ???

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I like how Flanno is rewarding good form. That is what has been missing for a while. Guys in reggies like Rava now have to bide their time and the longer they are there the more they will cherish being picked in first grade. Matt Feagai scored a Rava type try against Penrith bumping off Turuva and Tago to the line which was pretty impressive. He showed that may have the same abilities as Rava probably just never showed it. And he looks more safe under the ball. People say Matt does not score tries Rava has but would Rava have scored the try Matt did against the Broncos and Roosters to win Saints the game. I don't hate Rava but feel there is no rush to put him in as Matt is not playing bad at all.

What worries me is that these are the type of games Saints lose, the ones where us fans think they will. I really hope they win this as it is a huge chance to put them in the 8. There is a great chance Saints can get the results they need to make the 8. If Warriors beat Cows which is quite possible, Storm beat Knights, Panthers beat Manly and Eels beat dogs, then the Saints leapfrog these 4 teams to finish the round in 8th spot.....happy days. Roosters get the bye to take 7th off Manly.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I agree with you mostly, but he does actually have a dive. I remember in 2019-2020 he actually scored some really nice diving tries. But like you said, his minimal footy IQ has him thinking that he can bump anyone and everyone off and no longer needs to dive, even though he obviously does a lot of the time.

justadragon

Bench
Last year -
Rav 21 games - 21 tries (top 5 in the league) - 24 line breaks (top 10 / 8th) - Average 148 mtrs
Defence Rav 71%, Matt 78% but recalling some of Matt's shockers from last year still gives me shivers - should have lost his jersey after the Cronulla game.
So, Chalk and cheese. I think it's Matt who's found his level playing in reserves and now possibly as a handy back up for 1sts but only when absolutely necessary.
Yes, Rav's hit a slump but his record is there for all to see and you don't just throw that away while there's still hope.
Matt on the other hand did play well last week, his stats were actually his best ever by a country mile but he'd have to repeat that many times before he gets a tick from me ( I have a long memory ) and even if he does will he ever manage stats like Rav, I doubt it.

This statement - "If he was picked this week it's nailed on that he'd just play at the level he's capable of,"
But that's why he's in reserves, because he's not playing to "his level", his usual standard, if he did then all would well. ???
Matt Has improved immensely under a different coach Kit66, I was at the game and was totally surprised by him and his brother, they both deserved to keep their spots.

sammymills

Juniors
I like how Flanno is rewarding good form. That is what has been missing for a while. Guys in reggies like Rava now have to bide their time and the longer they are there the more they will cherish being picked in first grade. Matt Feagai scored a Rava type try against Penrith bumping off Turuva and Tago to the line which was pretty impressive. He showed that may have the same abilities as Rava probably just never showed it. And he looks more safe under the ball. People say Matt does not score tries Rava has but would Rava have scored the try Matt did against the Broncos and Roosters to win Saints the game. I don't hate Rava but feel there is no rush to put him in as Matt is not playing bad at all.

What worries me is that these are the type of games Saints lose, the ones where us fans think they will. I really hope they win this as it is a huge chance to put them in the 8. There is a great chance Saints can get the results they need to make the 8. If Warriors beat Cows which is quite possible, Storm beat Knights, Panthers beat Manly and Eels beat dogs, then the Saints leapfrog these 4 teams to finish the round in 8th spot.....happy days. Roosters get the bye to take 7th off Manly.
Stop it you are making me dream again

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Last year -

Kit.......that is 10mins in the bin ! lol

thought the rule of this forum was generalisations only ? No specific stats to back up your opinion..... :)

Old Timer

Coach
Matt Has improved immensely under a different coach Kit66, I was at the game and was totally surprised by him and his brother, they both deserved to keep their spots.
Matt did nothing wrong but the opposition was not exactly good 1st grade standard so not sure that is an accurate measure of "immense" improvement.

Same applies for this next week so if he is still in the top grade v Manly then we might get a better indication and hopefully he keeps his position on the basis of pure form against quality opposition.

We must be careful that in our judgement we don't just accept that if someone is performing slightly better than someone we already have then they are a automatically a 1st grade quality player.

If speed was an issue for the Fegai brothers before unless they have miraculously found a couple of yards it is still a problem now.

Yes I know Rava is not quick either but he is far more capable of running through brick wall defence and whilst some think he is a dumb footy player with no feel for the game I actually think that is not a correct assessment as he is managed to do some very silky things as well but his "brain farts" certainly detract from his performance.

One thing I have noticed this year is that Sloan has been positioned behind Rava on a fair few occassions when bombs have come to Rava's wing and Sloan has failed to come forward to contest the ball and left Rava flat footed underneath the ball where his basically standing his ground as a blocker and Sloan has pulled out and left Rava in the lurch at the 11th hour.

The good FB's own those moments and over call the other players but Sloan does not thus creating confusion.

justadragon

Bench
Matt did nothing wrong but the opposition was not exactly good 1st grade standard so not sure that is an accurate measure of "immense" improvement.

Same applies for this next week so if he is still in the top grade v Manly then we might get a better indication and hopefully he keeps his position on the basis of pure form against quality opposition.

We must be careful that in our judgement we don't just accept that if someone is performing slightly better than someone we already have then they are a automatically a 1st grade quality player.

If speed was an issue for the Fegai brothers before unless they have miraculously found a couple of yards it is still a problem now.

Yes I know Rava is not quick either but he is far more capable of running through brick wall defence and whilst some think he is a dumb footy player with no feel for the game I actually think that is not a correct assessment as he is managed to do some very silky things as well but his "brain farts" certainly detract from his performance.

One thing I have noticed this year is that Sloan has been positioned behind Rava on a fair few occassions when bombs have come to Rava's wing and Sloan has failed to come forward to contest the ball and left Rava flat footed underneath the ball where his basically standing his ground as a blocker and Sloan has pulled out and left Rava in the lurch at the 11th hour.

The good FB's own those moments and over call the other players but Sloan does not thus creating confusion.
Agree OT, I was comparing him to what I saw of him last year and the difference this year, there is no doubt in my mind the coaching has been better for him and his brother.

FlickFlano

Juniors
we cant let go of hunt because he sets up all our tries
we cant let go of Lawrie because he was our best player last year
we cant let go of Rava because he was our leading try scorer last year

we cant change if we dont change .. rava is injured and playing badly ... flano has made a change and in one game against weaker opposition the change worked.