What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Eels

getsmarty

Immortal

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

24-hour warning: Round 14 v Eels
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 13 Aug 2020, 07:50 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 14 clash against the Parramatta Eels at Bankwest Stadium on Friday, August 14.

Jayden Sullivan and Jason Saab are the first two players to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

Tariq Sims (shoulder), Jackson Ford (suspension) and Trent Merrin are all out with Jacob Host, Corey Norman and Korbin Sims the new faces in the 17.

Tyrell Fuimaono will start in the back row while Norman starts in at five-eighth. Ben Hunt returns to hooker while the skipper Cameron McInnes starts at lock.

Kaide Ellis and Tristan Sailor are retained on the bench, while Brayden Wiliame has been named in the wider squad for the first time since injuring his calf in Round 4.

Amended NRL squad for Round 14 v Parramatta Eels –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by Fox Property
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14. Tristan Sailor – sponsored by TripADeal
15. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Jacob Host – sponsored by St.George Bank
18. Brayden Wiliame
19. Eddie Blacker

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/13/nrl-team-round-14-v-eels/

Banjo2014

Juniors
Will they apologise - Matty Johns and Nathan Hindmarsh (Plus others)

I watched and listened in disbelief as the commentators on Fox discussed how the Dragons players are going to play for Mary and basically send him off as a winning coach - both tipped the Dragons to play hard etc etc

If Parra beat us by 20-30 points it will be interesting how they respond.

Oh if you didn't know it - Mary is a good bloke .... maybe he is, but he put us through 7 years of torture.

Belta

Juniors

I watched and listened in disbelief as the commentators on Fox discussed how the Dragons players are going to play for Mary and basically send him off as a winning coach - both tipped the Dragons to play hard etc etc

Oh if you didn't know it - Mary is a good bloke .... maybe he is, but he put us through 7 years of torture.

I think the Dragons will lift but who knows - You would think that incentive to play hard would of been v the Roosters reserve grade team with everything to play for.

I think most of the praise put out for Mary comes from media who aren’t Dragon supporters, so they’ve been happy to see him kept as coach.

Unfortunately (or in my mind fortunately) I just can’t see a win, regardless of what happens most of us won’t ever use winning coach and Mary in the same sentence.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Why are they allowing Mary another chance at losing a game for us. If nothing changes you get the same result.
Extremely puzzling this. Were Pay, Kearney and Green given last game coaching rites after being sacked? What is the purpose of all this? Will we get to see McGregor standing up in the coaches box waving to the spectators or will he be chaired off the Bankwest Stadium to the applause of the crowd? Will we see slaps on the back and elbow bumps by all and sundry?

He should be cleaning out his coaches locker today and walking out into the horizon and rubbing his hands with the thought of his million dollar payout which will help him with his painting business.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the Dragons will lift but who knows - You would think that incentive to play hard would of been v the Roosters reserve grade team with everything to play for.

I think most of the praise put out for Mary comes from media who aren’t Dragon supporters, so they’ve been happy to see him kept as coach.

Unfortunately (or in my mind fortunately) I just can’t see a win
No chance for a win. Roster just not strong enough and Eels players beats us hands down all across the field with their backs and forwards. Remember, we had chances against the Roosters a couple of times this year - when Radley and Verrils were injured and Tedesco was out in the first encounter and then us playing them with 9 of their best players out including B Morris and lost when we needed to lift with a remote chance of making the top 8.

It will be a double whammy loss to McGregor this week - being sacked and losing on Friday against the Eels.

Walpole

Juniors
I guess we'll find out what the players really think of Mary tonight. Will they lift and try to send him out on a high or give up after five minutes and send him out with a 50 point loss?

Personally, in honour of the great man I'm hoping the field is shortened to 98 metres for the night, tries from kicks are only valued at 3 points and the game is stopped at half time.

sco22

Juniors

Unfortunately (or in my mind fortunately) I just can’t see a win, regardless of what happens most of us won’t ever use winning coach and Mary in the same sentence.
Both Johns bro’s hate the dragons with a passion would not listen to those 2 knobs

boardlumps62

Juniors
Cripes will they reinstate Mary if we win. See I told you now I have the right team even without Paul, Jimmy, Tariq and JDB.
Actually out of all the teams we are amongst the least affected by injury which should mean we have a high chance of winning games. Except for one thing Parra are nearly injury free (2 out) and we have absolutely no depth.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
After yesterdays announcement I will be watching the game with renewed interest win or lose....our situation wont be a quick fix by any stretch BUT we are in a more positive position than we were a week ago......thats the way I will be looking at things moving into 2021

Old Timer

Coach
I guess we'll find out what the players really think of Mary tonight. Will they lift and try to send him out on a high or give up after five minutes and send him out with a 50 point loss?

Personally, in honour of the great man I'm hoping the field is shortened to 98 metres for the night, tries from kicks are only valued at 3 points and the game is stopped at half time.
I think it would be great if Mc Fookknuckle puts on his animated face and throws the coaches chair through the window and then climbs out of the window and walks off into the sunset ala "Chief" in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

blacksafake

First Grade

Nah
They'll just blame the players.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
As far as our new Coach rumours are concerned thanks to the Covid NRL bubble at least we wont be subject to hear that so and so was seen having lunch with so and so in a restaurant at such and such......well Bennetts already been pinged for that once hasnt he.....sorry just realised this is under the wrong thread...apologies

possm

Coach
For the remainder of the season I'd go for the following 17:

1. Schiller - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021

2. Ramsey - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021
3. Lomax
4. Williame
5. Ravalawa
6. Dufty - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. Hunt
10. Merrin
11. Ford
12. Frizell
13. McInnes

14. Sailor
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Host

LINESPEED

Juniors
For the remainder of the season I'd go for the following 17:

1. Schiller - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021

2. Ramsey - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021
3. Lomax
4. Williame
5. Ravalawa
6. Dufty - 6 games in first grade will do wonders for season 2021
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. Hunt
10. Merrin
11. Ford
12. Frizell
13. McInnes

14. Sailor
15. Ellis
16. Blacker
17. Host

Great team - although I’d have a Feagai or 2 in there

Extremely puzzling this. Were Pay, Kearney and Green given last game coaching rites after being sacked? What is the purpose of all this? Will we get to see McGregor standing up in the coaches box waving to the spectators or will he be chaired off the Bankwest Stadium to the applause of the crowd? Will we see slaps on the back and elbow bumps by all and sundry?

He should be cleaning out his coaches locker today and walking out into the horizon and rubbing his hands with the thought of his million dollar payout which will help him with his painting business.
McGregor's pals in the media and NRL barnacles have consistently tried to romanticize his tenure at St. George.
"Career Coach"
"The players love him"
"Success is around the corner"
The hard luck stories surrounding Widdop and JDB. "If only....diatribe"
2018 finals appearance flogged to death as a beacon of his coaching stature.
But after all is said and done, McGregor was a bog average reserve grade coach with no credentials to coach first grade AT ALL!
No meaningful apprenticeship to any of the top line coaches.

In fact NO apprenticeship whatsoever.
3 years in the Illawarra comp, 2 average years as the Cutters coach and then straight from caretaker to the longest serving coach in the club's illustrious history.
I mean the whole charade is breathtaking in it's scope and magnitude.
One can understand the caretaker's decision but appointing him as a long term coach of St. George? Really?
What were the criteria for such a decision at the time? It certainly wasn't because of his qualifications and coaching experience.
Then the whole scam was perpetuated twice with two extensions and upgrades in salary.
And you wonder why we are now languishing at the bottom of the table.
McGregor is now ancient history but who on the Board was responsible for his appointment in the first place and then the diabolical extensions that followed?
Those responsible should be called out for the McGregor disaster.
Just for the record, I am also totally against him coaching the Team "one last time" .
If I see a lap of honour and an emotional press conference, I will be physically ill.
He doesn't deserve it.
If the club power brokers are serious about turning things around then they need to grow a pair and have an authentic and objective review of the whole club.
Gould seems to enjoy in depth reviews. Come on Gus - St.George Illawarra review MARK II

RedVDave

First Grade
So which scenario is more likely the boys aim up to send Mary the loser out as a winner.

Or the boys have been up all night celebrating his exit and get smashed because they are to tired to play?

Latest posts