What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs. Roosters Discussion + Voting

beads6

First Grade
Beale has been very good over the last few weeks. Copley is also always improving. I liked what Maranta had to offer. He will provide good depth for us next year, he may even get a lot of games because Yow Yeh could be out for a while next year as well.

aussies1st

Staff member
As an outsider, how does side rate as far as baby broncos sides go over the last twenty odd years. Is it just me but it appears that griffin so far has got more out of a second string side than Bennett ever did. Not only that but the top side. I doubt this side relative to the rest of the comp on paper is a real strong bronco side compared to yesteryear

You have to remember during WB the spine wasn't intact with Lockyer and KMH going for SOO and Langer and Locker before that. Whereas Griffin had a stable 1,6,7,9 for this clash and it showed.

Bretto

Bench
Some good posts in here already, but I'll give my take on the game anyway.

I thought the battle through the middle was a really good one. For our young forwards to stand up against that huge Roosters pack, I thought showed some real heart and willingness to get the hard stuff done. McGuire really stood up there, and as strange as it sounds, he was the experienced head up the middle with Macca.

Our backs were solid tonight without being too flashy, most likely due to the weather. Obviously some disgraceful referee decisions. I usually don't like to bang on about ref calls, but I feel I have to comment on a couple things. One that sticks out to me was the Friend try. He didn't even get the ball down for mine. Another one was when McGuire had posession of the ball on the Roosters try line, he got punched in the face by the defending player, then grabbed his jersey, and somehow he got penalised for that. I looked at the TV stunned for a good minute after that one. Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down by it, :lol:.

I thought I would just give some breif thoughts on individual performances that stick out in my head...

Peter Wallace: Absolutely fantastic. Very Langer like with his game yesterday. His organisation of his players was first class, his kicking game was outstanding, and his running and passing was excellent too. I'm very glad NSW didn't pick him for Origin this year, because he's been fantastic for us. But, unfortunately, if he keeps this form up, he will probably be picked next year.

Andrew McCullough: Excellent performance. Plenty of tackles, heaps of go forward, quality ball for forwards and halves alike, then that lovely 40/20 to top it off. Good to see him stay out there for a good amount of time too. He never looked buggered.

Josh McGuire: Big game for Josh. I read on nrl.com this morning he made something like 176 meters and 42 tackles. Huge game. He really hooked into those giant Roosters forwards.

Ben Te'o: Looked dangerous for the first 30 minutes or so, but then went a bit quiet.

Beale/Copley: I thought these 2 actually bent the line back with their runs, particularly Copley - he looks really strong lately, and his ball running is improving immensely every game. He was unlucky to be penalised for "running through a ghost player" (whatever the f**k that is) when he broke through the line there late in the game.

Lachlan Maranta: This guy looks the goods for sure. Not super flashy, but was very safe and didn't make any errors all game. Made some good runs, but needs to work on his goal line defence a little bit.

Overall I'm very happy with that performance. I think it's the first game this year where we haven't switched off for long periods of the game. It's also a glimpse of where the club will be, even in 5-7 years. We will compete at a high level for a long time with this group of young guys, that's for sure. We still need to work on our goal line defence. At times we are too flat footed, and that's why they score those easy forward/dummy half barge over tries.

I think this win says a lot about the coach. Couple losses in a row, then the bludger of a game last week against Newcastle, then to come out and play like that and compete for 80 minutes, it showed real heart and character.

Here's hoping for a similar showing against the Cowboys next week.

3. Peter Wallace
2. Josh McGuire
1. Ben Te'o

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. McGuire
2. Teo
1. Wallace

Absolutely tremendous effort from the boys. We certainly held our own against a more experienced and bigger pack. McGuire had the biggest hand. Glenn was also very good. J Wallace was admirable on debut for a young prop, Dodds strength was his defence. Macca was also great, and good to see him get more minutes. Copley ran the ball very strongly (there is no doubt who had the better weekend between Copley and Gagai) and is fast improving. Maranta did more than what was needed from him, was impressed, especially with one particular pick up of a grubber at his bootlaces under pressure.

Was pretty filthy when refs go to video for Macca no try but then immediately award tries to Friend and some other dude who dropped it. I think consistency is mostly what the fans expect. Maranta play on was just silly, I think the refs might be sitting out next week.

Although we had a great game, I still there there are deficiencies which are still showing. Firstly, I still think we are letting in tries a bit too easily close to our line, 22 points is alot to have scored against in those conditions (granted two of those I believe were not tries). Also we still look a bit clueless when we are attacking in their 20. Don't be fooled by the 40 points we put on them. I counted only 3 tries that came from good attacking structure and play (first one to Teo and last two). The other ones had an element of "ad-hoc" about them and poor Roosters defence.

New low for the Roosters...

Last edited:

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Great game!:) Not just because of the win but our great composure through all the muck the chooks threw at us. And at the end it was their undoing! Not sure if it was my audio reception but was that tarzan playing for Sydney? Shit he had the full tribe with him anyway. Talking bout man mountains, the boys will be sore this morning. That hit on Glenn i think it was, expected to see him put up the white flag and surrender to the stretcher gods.

So proud of this pack not sure if we want the old one back hah ha. To think we were missing Hodges, Thaiday, Gillett, Petro, Parker etc just a great performance.

So many top players and impressed with Maranta who seems to come from lineage and think its his grandad who was part of the birth of the Broncos? Also Lui and the rest of the newish faces played strong disciplined footy. Copley just missed out with the points but just steamrolled every time he had the ball.

3. Wallace
2. Mc Guire
1. Te'o

Behold

Juniors
3. Wallace, P. I thought it was his best game of the season. He still isn't kicking great for the long kick but in those conditions any kick that went more than 30 metres was going to enough.
2. McGuire - Big minutes and really lead from the front.
1. Te'o - very potent in attack and bone crunching in defence.

I thought everyone played pretty well. Norman was a bit quiet early. Of the bench forwards I thought Gibb was the most effective and Slyney the least. Good to see Hunt and McCollough both on at the end and we played with a heap of width with both of them on the field. It could be something we should look at doing more often. This game confirmed for me that if any of our normal bench forwards should be starting it should be Te'o and not Gillet. I think Maranta should keep his wing spot next week, if Hodges is going to be rested (I assume he is) and play Beale at centre again instead of dropping Gillet in there again.

All in all really happy with the performance gives Griffin a lot of options for next year, with Beale and Te'o leaving.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
9 of them made their debut from NYC.

McGuire was 19 when he played and only played 2 QRL games but if it helps give you guys attention...

Do you mean 9 of those 11 because if so you're wrong. Glenn was signed from Burleigh Bears, Hoffman was playing for Redcliffe before he was signed to the NYC team and Beale was playing for Wynnum before he made his NRL debut. Gibb's played plenty of Qcup before he debuted. Just shows as most people say (Griffin/Gould etc) the step up from NYC to NRL is too much.

Big Pete

Referee
Both Glenn & Hoffman made their debuts from 20s. They may have played a few games of QCup a season but they were picked on the back of their 20s form.

Beale had played a few games of QCup, but again, he had returned from 20s and was picked from there.

Regardless, I don't see what this has to do with Fourex's point.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Both Glenn & Hoffman made their debuts from 20s. They may have played a few games of QCup a season but they were picked on the back of their 20s form.

Beale had played a few games of QCup, but again, he had returned from 20s and was picked from there.

Regardless, I don't see what this has to do with Fourex's point.

It actually adds to my point/XXXX's point. Griffin did most of his apprenticeship in QCup with Reddy and Souths. Not denying that he's not a good coach.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Seagullsrock. Mr Fourex's comment relates to coach and players have had previous experience of nyc together nothing to do with qcup. Whereas your comments refer to qcup experience as f**kin always. Another pathetic attempt at discrediting nyc again. I for one, don't care if a player has played stupid park football.

AceAv

Juniors
Anyways back on track.

That was such a gritty impressive all round team performance win. With the shitty conditions and the woeful reffing, Bronx came put and played the 80. I rwallythink this is a coaches win. Griff picked the right team and used interchanges perfectly!

Macca and McGuire stepped up and were well used. Really hope hunt & macca get to both be on again. Maybe hook reads this forum?

These young guys are starting to show real promise. Copley is starting to win me over. I think grif will try and keep the formula for Friday -and it may just work!

3.McGuire -he was a machine, and just everywhere!

2. Wallace -Maybe wet weather is his thing? Definitely showed his composure and talents today. Please keep it up!

1. Macca -He is just starting to perfect those little parts of his game that make all the difference.

Wraps to:
Teo -just missed out from some untidy errors
Maranta -impressive debut
Beale -seems stronger that he is
Glenn -such a gun

Kiwi

First Grade
Do you mean 9 of those 11 because if so you're wrong. Glenn was signed from Burleigh Bears, Hoffman was playing for Redcliffe before he was signed to the NYC team and Beale was playing for Wynnum before he made his NRL debut. Gibb's played plenty of Qcup before he debuted. Just shows as most people say (Griffin/Gould etc) the step up from NYC to NRL is too much.

I agree the step up is far to much. I think early on the Broncos made it very public when the NYC started that any players in line to get a chance for the Broncos would be given time in the QRL to compete against bigger, faster and stronger players ect.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Show doesn't have a case to answer.

Just highlights even more that Checcin and Co. had absolutely no control over that match. McG barely grazed the Rooster. Penalty was sufficient, but to put that on report was just a Ref trying to reign in a horse that had bolted long ago.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Thanks for all your wrap-ups, guys. I missed the game this week, because I was out on a farm with no reception. But I feel like I saw it now.

Great to hear the glowing reports about our youngsters!

Big Pete

Referee
3. Peter Wallace
2. Josh McGuire
1. Ben Te'o

Forgot my votes, reckon this will do despite only catching half a replay.

Latest posts