What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Vs Sharks

franklin2323

Immortal
The guy who usually plays 7 is currently the best in the competition. May doesn't really stand a chance.

With that said May hasn't played much good football all year. Looks like he struggles playing the role he had in 2020. And with the spotlight on him he isn't showing much. If we are honest he has been a disappointment since the 2020 grand final.

No doubt. Having him in 7 was a brain snap by Ivan.

A few guys haven't but we have struggled to keep a top 13 on the park this year. It will be interesting post Origin what the top
17 looks like.

In theory Burton could do that role but is he now the left centre?

Do you go Kenny and move Capewell if an outside back goes down? Or is Capewell too slow for centre.

How the bench looks is what will decide how much 1st grade he plays

Look at the positives of this though, you and the Tigers have a very in depth rivalry now, rugby league thrives on these rivalries.
From now on it will never ever matter where either of you are on the table it will be war.
Personally I will watch every game that your clubs play against each other.
This is a serious question, who have the Panthers had as major rivals throughout their years?
I know of late they've tried to bring a Parra rivalry in, but it has never had the Manly/Norths, Easts/South's, Sharks/Dragons type build up to non aligned supporters. The Tigers/Panthers one does. I know Campbelltown to Penrith is not close in Km's but as I know the back roads between the two from my work it does not take that long to get between the two, both have mascots as big cats........ I haven't even mentioned Ivan yet haha.
In the end it's all theatre, be glad the entertainment is there.
I actually think the Sharks & Panthers have a fairly decent rivalry brewing over the past few years, given that we’re both ‘67 teams and that it took both of us a while to win our first premiership (well you guys longer than us......😉😉). Not to mention the players and coaches who have come and gone between the two clubs. John Lang, Martin Lang and Preston Campbell for us and Luke Lewis and Wade Graham for you guys as examples.

But yes the Panthers/Tigers rivalry is fast becoming a major rivalry - especially with their over-inflated issues with the Clearys and their over-exuberance of beating a SOO-weakened side with their full complement of players (oh my bad - they had Harry Grant missing......)

I actually think the Sharks & Panthers have a fairly decent rivalry brewing over the past few years, given that we’re both ‘67 teams and that it took both of us a while to win our first premiership (well you guys longer than us......😉😉). Not to mention the players and coaches who have come and gone between the two clubs. John Lang, Martin Lang and Preston Campbell for us and Luke Lewis and Wade Graham for you guys as examples.

But yes the Panthers/Tigers rivalry is fast becoming a major rivalry - especially with their over-inflated issues with the Clearys and their over-exuberance of beating a SOO-weakened side with their full complement of players (oh my bad - they had Harry Grant missing......)
Yeah we have a rivalry but it's like cousin/friendly. I like your supporters, and was so happy for Langy and Presto, especially Presto. So not really any hate.
A fun fact with Sharks supporters, we don't hate the Dragons like we used to, we still hate Manly, but our major rival for the last decade has been the Storm. We feel it, just like the players do. We really f**king hate them, and they hate us. This whole Hynes/Bellamy talk to us has us beaming.
I'll put a pic up of me calling Slater all kinds of names when he got sent off at Woolooware 2011. He was looking at me in shock, oh and to top it off, Tyrone Peachy dared me to do it!!! He is sitting in the background.
Edit: I took the pic down, those that saw it know that I speaketh the truth.

Last edited:

BossleyPanther

Juniors
If Gus, Brandy and all us fans are bagging May at 7, you have to question what is really going on between Ivan and May.

hindy111

Post Whore
The continued complaining of Staines mystifies me.
The guy is not a Mansour/To'o type player.
He needs early ball in space so he can use his speed.
Using him as a battering ram is doomed to failure.

Guys like Staines who remind me of Luke Burt need to be special to keep a spot in first grade. Name all the small wingers in the comp. I can only think of JAC and Alex Johnston. But those 2 are brilliant.
I reckon Staines is seen as a future fullback and is just being blooded tbh. If his spot was a long term wing then he would be replaced by someone more powerful

hindy111

Post Whore
Sharks are a solid side. They will make the 8 if everyone stays fit.
You lost by 1 point and had your halves missing along with Toò Yeo and Capewell.
I think perhaps people underestime how big an influence those halves have on the side. And I also been saying for 2yrs now Toò is perhaps your most important player or in the top few that's for sure.

Burton had a great 20mins. But the platform was set with domination of field position. For 60mins he was inconsistent and most his kicks where terrible. Plenty of halves are capable of big moments. But few can do what Nathan is doing and be perfect for nearly every single play. Even if it isn't as flashy.
I'm not bagging Burton. He is a tremendous talent. But the games I have seen in the halves he seems to go for far to many big plays and his kicking game is inconsistent.

chrisD

Coach
Who missed the tackle on Johnston to make the break and put in field goal position?
No-one. He got on the outside but not past Sorenson and got an offload away but Sorensen had him. Burton was the outside player who was marking up on Tracey who received the offload and ran away.

How they got the ball was the bigger error, Burton calling it down the short-side with no winger on the last with 2 minutes to go and then giving it to a marked Crichton in no room.

mxlegend99

Referee
I hope tonight is the game that sends you wankers to 10th.
Not i

Hoping for Broncos and Tigers upsets in a 7 game multi mostly featuring favourites.

Can see both being able to beat struggling teams that are better
Staines was playing on May's edge. What do you expect when the only carries he's getting are out of our end. We never once gave him good ball like Cleaey does because May isn't capable.
Staines has no chance outside Monirovski. Every touch Momirovski gets it's like he thinks he is the winger. He runs until there is no space before he even considers passing it to Staines. A good centre creates space. He uses it himself.
No doubt. Having him in 7 was a brain snap by Ivan.

A few guys haven't but we have struggled to keep a top 13 on the park this year. It will be interesting post Origin what the top
17 looks like.

In theory Burton could do that role but is he now the left centre?

Do you go Kenny and move Capewell if an outside back goes down? Or is Capewell too slow for centre.

How the bench looks is what will decide how much 1st grade he plays
Full strength IMO:

1. Edwards (needs to find form or I re-evaluate)
2. To'o
3. Burton
4. Crichton
5. Staines
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Api
10. Fish
11. Martin
12. Capewell
13. Yeo

14. Kenny
15. Leniu I guess but he's horribly out of form too. Form dropped off after missing 2 weeks of footy in Ivsns plan to get him more minutes.
16. Kikau
17. Tago

Hopefully now people can see our front row rotation is massively overrated. So many plodders in the pack being carried by a few beasts.

We only have 3x NRL quality front rowers and one of them is out of form and out of favour. This bench balance is wrong but i look at Sorensen, Hopgood, Eisenhuth etc. And just see reserve graders who can only plod along if we're already dominating. Honestly i don't know what our best bench is. Hell so pissed off at even Kikau it's tempting to drop him to be honest.

Kenny destroys May for mine. Only easy decision

Kikau to come on for Leota at first interchange and either he or Martin drops in to front row. With Kikaus form maybe being a battering ram in the middle might make use of his size finally

Leniu doesnt deserve it. But hes the only forward left with the speed and intensity needed for us to be our best. Eisenhuth is slow, we saw with Sorensen, Hopgood etc. They are slow and teams smash out metres through these guys being slow in defence and not being able to get defenders on back foot

Tago i nearly dropped Crichton to fit in... And considered dropping Edwards to put Crichton at fullback to fit in. But i think once everyone is back into their best position with Nathan and Jarome these guys will look better.

There's no doubt our form will suffer with these games. The resting of Origin players will have an effect on the confidence of these guys now realising they have been carried by our rep ppayers

hindy111

Post Whore
Tyrone May is just a solid toiler. A nice 14 who can cover many position if someone's injured with little disruption to the sides structure. You only need 3 bench players. The utility is only needed if the games over win or lose, an injury or someone is gassed at hooker.
No need to bag him. Parra use W.Smith in this role. Souths use Benji Marshal. They are not there to improve the side. Blame the salary cap.

As far as utilities go your other options will be Salmon,Kenny.I don't see others.

Tago is he more a centre or 2nd row? If 2nd row he may pinch a spot from someone. If centre the only position under threat is Staines. I think Naden would offer more thrust and yards but doubt Ivan goes there.
Only other possibility is if Tago went to centre and Burton become that utility. Or Crtichton was moved to wing. But I don't think these are great options at this point.

franklin2323

Immortal
No-one. He got on the outside but not past Sorenson and got an offload away but Sorensen had him. Burton was the outside player who was marking up on Tracey who received the offload and ran away.

How they got the ball was the bigger error, Burton calling it down the short-side with no winger on the last with 2 minutes to go and then giving it to a marked Crichton in no room.

Always work to the posts in those situations. Can always roll it in goals if you can't get the shot off

WestyLife

First Grade
Not sure of that.

We looked better when Api took over running the attack. Just needed someone to be a kicking option in 7

Exactly. Anyone not May running the attack improves the team. I don'tknow why you rate May so highly to defend him so much.