What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Vs Sharks

DinkyDi

Juniors
So many NRL players would sniff a few lines of coke. I do not see a huge deal. But if it was the night before the grand final then yes I do see a big deal. It's selfish and unprofessional.

Anyhows as far as this season goes after seeing Tago he would be my centre if Burton or Crichton where out.
Naden could push Staines out but is he better?
Naden should not be in the side, full stop, end of story.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
So many NRL players would sniff a few lines of coke. I do not see a huge deal. But if it was the night before the grand final then yes I do see a big deal. It's selfish and unprofessional.

Anyhows as far as this season goes after seeing Tago he would be my centre if Burton or Crichton where out.
Naden could push Staines out but is he better?
I wonder how many players smoke cigarettes like Reed Mahoney?

franklin2323

Immortal
Resting all those players was so dumb. May and burton halves pairing should never have run out. Tago should be taking Mays spot on the bench, he should jump Momo in the centre pecking order. I’m over May abd momo they don’t offer enough. May has been bog average all year.

Not sure Tago has 80 mins in him yet. Still a bit small but the bench certainly should be his spot. The rest of the bench make up dependant on injuries

DinkyDi

Juniors
Big statement what are you basing this on .Unfair to say this about any player
How many other players goes on a drug binge before a major game? Not to many. He knew he was selected to play in the grand final, and he chose to snort coke.

murraymob

First Grade
How many other players goes on a drug binge before a major game? Not to many. He knew he was selected to play in the grand final, and he chose to snort coke.
So you have never made a wrong decision in your life .this was last year .he can not be faulted this year .Cleary has decided not to pick him .Not his fault that’s footy

DinkyDi

Juniors
So you have never made a wrong decision in your life .this was last year .he can not be faulted this year .Cleary has decided not to pick him .Not his fault that’s footy
Yes I have, and I have worn the consequences. Naden is wearing his.

Crashtest

Juniors
I think Ennis has been reading all the May comments on this forum for story ideas...

The Panthers suffered back to back losses for the first time since 2019 and the glaring take out is just how important Nathan Cleary is as the linchpin to the success of this football side.

At various stages over the last couple of seasons Tyrone May’s been able to come in and fill a variety of roles for the Panthers and he’s essentially been Ivan Cleary’s go-to utility player.

But since he’s been given the No.7 jumper in the past fortnight the Panthers attack has looked clunky, he’s barely taken on the line and it’s been left completely up to Matt Burton to try ignite a win.

I’m surprised. I expected more from Tyrone May.

Because of the durability of Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai the last couple of years he’s only been given limited opportunities.

This was his shot and he simply hasn’t taken it.

What it’s highlighted is how the Panthers simply can’t afford to lose Cleary at the back end of the season and still expect to compete for the title.

Melbourne and Penrith are clearly the top two sides at the halfway point of the competition.

As good as the Panthers have been - they won’t want to meet the Storm in the grand final.

The Storm play a style of football and have the roster that can trouble Penrith.

WestyLife

First Grade
I think Ennis has been reading all the May comments on this forum for story ideas...

The Panthers suffered back to back losses for the first time since 2019 and the glaring take out is just how important Nathan Cleary is as the linchpin to the success of this football side.

At various stages over the last couple of seasons Tyrone May’s been able to come in and fill a variety of roles for the Panthers and he’s essentially been Ivan Cleary’s go-to utility player.

But since he’s been given the No.7 jumper in the past fortnight the Panthers attack has looked clunky, he’s barely taken on the line and it’s been left completely up to Matt Burton to try ignite a win.

I’m surprised. I expected more from Tyrone May.

Because of the durability of Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai the last couple of years he’s only been given limited opportunities.

This was his shot and he simply hasn’t taken it.

What it’s highlighted is how the Panthers simply can’t afford to lose Cleary at the back end of the season and still expect to compete for the title.

Melbourne and Penrith are clearly the top two sides at the halfway point of the competition.

As good as the Panthers have been - they won’t want to meet the Storm in the grand final.

The Storm play a style of football and have the roster that can trouble Penrith.

Brandy also mentioned it. It was a defining moment for May's career and he didn't perform to an elite level. He could've earned a starting half spot at a team if he wanted it.

Pomoz

Bench
For all the people that have gone off the deep end about the Panther's and May, I think they should watch Cleary's press conference. He summed it up perfectly when he pointed out the second half was won "18 - 1" and "there was nothing wrong with the team in the second half". He was making the point that the team selection wasn't why they lost, but they executed really poorly for 40 minutes. We lost by one point. It really isn't that bad and you could see how the new combinations were at last starting to gel. A couple of points:

- Michael Ennis pointed out in the first half how both halves were not engaging the line and were executing set plays so far away from the line, the Sharks had no problems adjusting their defence. From where I was sat at home, it looked like watching the Tigers game again. All effort and no brains or skill. I don't know why we single out May, both halves were awful. Burton's kicking game would have had the Dogs checking the fine print in their contract;

- Whatever was said at half time obviously worked, because suddenly May and Burton were engaging the line, creating space for others and also giving Burton more time on the ball to pick the holes. Burton's kicking improved as well. With the halves functioning properly, and doesn't that just show why the spine is crucial, the Sharks started to really struggle against a team with five rep players missing;

- If there is one thing I got from this game is that we underestimate how good Cleary's kicking game is. He isn't a flash player like Tedesco, or Papenhausen, but his kicking adds value to the team worth just as much as the amazing running of Paps and Tedesco;

- Tago. Woof.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
For all the people that have gone off the deep end about the Panther's and May, I think they should watch Cleary's press conference. He summed it up perfectly when he pointed out the second half was won "18 - 1" and "there was nothing wrong with the team in the second half". He was making the point that the team selection wasn't why they lost, but they executed really poorly for 40 minutes. We lost by one point. It really isn't that bad and you could see how the new combinations were at last starting to gel. A couple of points:

- Michael Ennis pointed out in the first half how both halves were not engaging the line and were executing set plays so far away from the line, the Sharks had no problems adjusting their defence. From where I was sat at home, it looked like watching the Tigers game again. All effort and no brains or skill. I don't know why we single out May, both halves were awful. Burton's kicking game would have had the Dogs checking the fine print in their contract;

- Whatever was said at half time obviously worked, because suddenly May and Bruton were engaging the line, creating space for others and also giving Burton more time on the ball to pick the holes. Burton's kicking improved as well. With the halves functioning properly, and doesn't that just show why the spine is crucial, the Sharks started to really struggle against a team with five rep players missing;

- If there is one thing I got from this game is that we underestimate how good Cleary's kicking game is. He isn't a flash player like Tedesco, or Papenhausen, but his kicking adds value to the team worth just as much as the amazing running of Paps and Tedesco;

- Tago. Woof.

I think people overestimate the chat around the losses and assume people are death riding the club or something.

The difference as far as I could see in the second half was Api directing things from hooker more. Ballplaying a lot like Smith would.

I was going to meme May but I just feel sorry for him now. He'll be forever stuck as a utility off the bench when pre injury and time out of the game he was one of the most highly rated Panthers. Could've been a star.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think people overestimate the chat around the losses and assume people are death riding the club or something.

The difference as far as I could see in the second half was Api directing things from hooker more. Ballplaying a lot like Smith would.

I was going to meme May but I just feel sorry for him now. He'll be forever stuck as a utility off the bench when pre injury and time out of the game he was one of the most highly rated Panthers. Could've been a star.
Nothing wrong with being a bench utility it is a valuable role, having someone who can fill in numerous positions.

He remains one of six players off contract at seasons end.

I assume he and Capewell are on similar money the other four would be being paid much less.

Capewell‘s situation remains up in the air, clearly has a decent off on the table from the Cowboys suggestions of a three year deal. I tend to think he would get more, significantly more if he just waits till 2023 when the new Brisbane team comes in.

Going back to Tyrone May, despite his being close buddies with Nathan Cleary I think we may let him leave and use his money in other areas. Mays money, and getting some back from players we are contributing to there playing else where could enable us to strengthen in areas of concern and to maintain us as a top four side we need to continually improve our roster where possible.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Nothing wrong with being a bench utility it is a valuable role, having someone who can fill in numerous positions.

He remains one of six players off contract at seasons end.

I assume he and Capewell are on similar money the other four would be being paid much less.

Capewell‘s situation remains up in the air, clearly has a decent off on the table from the Cowboys suggestions of a three year deal. I tend to think he would get more, significantly more if he just waits till 2023 when the new Brisbane team comes in.

Going back to Tyrone May, despite his being close buddies with Nathan Cleary I think we may let him leave and use his money in other areas. Mays money, and getting some back from players we are contributing to there playing else where could enable bus to strengthen in areas of concern and to maintain us as a top four side we need to continually improve our roster where possible.

A roster definitely needs a good utility these days. There's just more money and fame in being a talented starter and he was headed that way when he came through and debuted.

The new team is definitely the way to go. They'll be throwing money at talent.

Kilkenny

Coach
A roster definitely needs a good utility these days. There's just more money and fame in being a talented starter and he was headed that way when he came through and debuted.

The new team is definitely the way to go. They'll be throwing money at talent.
Sometimes being versatile can actually work against you in many respects and I think it has worked against Tyrone May. He’s probably another player the new Brisbane team would be worth having a serious look at.

betcats

Referee
Not sure Tago has 80 mins in him yet. Still a bit small but the bench certainly should be his spot. The rest of the bench make up dependant on injuries

He has been playing 80 minutes in cup most of the year. He can play it in FG based on what I have seen. Plays left or right side, centre or back row. He is very talented he should be ahead of Mom and May for a spot in our side.

franklin2323

Immortal
He has been playing 80 minutes in cup most of the year. He can play it in FG based on what I have seen. Plays left or right side, centre or back row. He is very talented he should be ahead of Mom and May for a spot in our side.

He has been but still seems too small for regular 80 mins games. Perfect for the bench as offers both sides of the field can play backrow or centre.

Will be a weapon with a pre season under his belt though

Latest posts