What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Vs Sharks

The_Frog

First Grade
Well someone on here, stated that May may retire due to an ACL. I call bullshit on that.
His ACL was four years ago, in the 2017 semi-final against the Broncos. The implication is that it has made him immobile.

I have a feeling the club will keep him, even if it's on meagre money. He's part of that side that came through the juniors, and they'll be loathe to break them up. He's just not a half any more, maybe a 6 at an absolute pinch, that's where he started. I was expecting to see his trademark long ball to the flanks, surely he hasn't lost that as well.

WestyLife

First Grade
His ACL was four years ago, in the 2017 semi-final against the Broncos. The implication is that it has made him immobile.

I have a feeling the club will keep him, even if it's on meagre money. He's part of that side that came through the juniors, and they'll be loathe to break them up. He's just not a half any more, maybe a 6 at an absolute pinch, that's where he started. I was expecting to see his trademark long ball to the flanks, surely he hasn't lost that as well.

Honestly not sure his passing wasn't particularly shown off these last two weeks. It was that and tackling that he still had at an elite level. If the passing is gone(I have no idea) he's a forward now.

Smug Panther

First Grade
His ACL was four years ago. The implication is that it has made him immobile.

The dream of keeping the boys together will destroy us if we chase it

The_Frog

First Grade
The Panthers suffered back to back losses for the first time since 2019 and the glaring take out is just how important Nathan Cleary is as the linchpin to the success of this football side.
We can win without Nathan. We beat the Storm with him out. We have problems without either Nathan or Jarome.

DinkyDi

Juniors
The NRL is set to investigate the Penrith Panthers following a stoppage incident involving forward Viliame Kikau during Friday’s clash with Cronulla.

As reported by The Sydney Morning Herald, the Panthers could be fined by the league after their gun second-rower brought play to a halt after requiring attention from medical staff.
The stoppage ended the Sharks’ attacking trip at the time as a Penrith trainer called for play to be brought to a momentary pause in order to assist Kikau.

The intrigue that has drawn the NRL’s attention is that Kikau has since been sidelined with a hamstring injury and will subsequently miss his side’s clash with the Roosters in Round 15.

As per the league’s rules, trainers must only bring play to a halt should a player suffer a head injury or serious setback.
The NRL will now need to decide whether the injury required the stop in play, with clubs being fined by the league in the past for incorrect calls to pause matches by medical staff.
Speaking post-match, interim Cronulla coach Josh Hannay expressed his frustrations from the incident but was still delighted to land the one-point win.
“I thought the rule was for serious injury that play could be stopped, and if it was deemed not serious, play would go on,” Hannay said, per The Herald.

“I know it’s a difficult one for the people in charge out there, you’re dealing with people’s health, but it looked like it wasn’t a serious injury. We could have put the game away there if it was allowed flow. Thankfully we’re sitting here celebrating a win.”
Sharks veteran Shaun Johnson was able to boot the match-winning field-goal in the dying minutes of the match to hand the Penrith their second loss of the season in successive weeks.
Cronulla will face North Queensland in Townsville this weekend, while Penrith will welcome back a host of Origin-calibre stars for their clash with the Chooks, with both games scheduled for Friday night.

Naden was fine up until the final against the Roosters and on the back that game he was inexplicably dumped for Tyrone May. It back fired, that is irrefutable, whether you like it or not.

Whether Robert Jennings is a better winger than Charlie Staines is subject to debate, but frankly if I was picking our side right now then Jennings would be in front of Staines.

I have nothing personal againgst Paul Momorovski but if you want my opinion he is a lesser version of Dean Whare. Dean at his best offered more in both attack and defence.

If we are serious about contending for a Premiership well we simply aren't going to win one with Momorovski as one of our centres and that is just being realistic.
Well that explains it.

being dumped for Tyrone May would drive anyone to drugs

Munky

Coach
Naden was likely dropped for getting suckered in twice during the final on a Roosters short side play where there was no overlap and he created one for them.

I assume the pre GF shenanigans didn't endear him to either the coach or other players.

I think the club ruined May by turning him into a forward, before the bulk he was a genuinely an elusive ball runner with a good passing game. These days he's a tortoise with no impact when running the ball. Should slim back down and make a go of five eighth somewhere in reggies with the hope of playing first grade.

chrisD

Coach
Naden was fine up until the final against the Roosters and on the back that game he was inexplicably dumped for Tyrone May. It back fired, that is irrefutable, whether you like it or not.
Lol inexplicable, when really his performance left Cleary no option.

Kilkenny

Coach
Lol inexplicable, when really his performance left Cleary no option.
It was one game, in an otherwise strong season from Brent.

It was more the fact the coach dropped Naden for Tyrone May which was clearly not the right way to go.

Kilkenny

Coach
The issue wasn't getting rid of Naden. A few of us on here had concerns with his defence especially. It was lacking the forward thinking to get Whare or Burton match fit incase a change was needed
That may also be a valid point but Naden was considered part of our best 13 for 19 games and was dumped off the back of a couple of errors. I wonder what Ivan would have done if he had his time over.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'd be surprised if any other 1st-grade team took even a second look at May.
I’m not so sure, he is a natural footy player, very solid defensively and is a more than useful utility player. He’s just not your starting number 7 or a starting centre but can fill four or five positions as the utility. There is a difference.

chrisD

Coach
It was one game
It wasn't a poor game, it was an exposing of his ability. It was the first game in which he was truly tested and he was shown to obviously not be able to read the attack coming at him or understand what should have been his positioning. He had over half a season to learn and get a feel for things in a dominant defensive line, but when it came to the crunch he was shown to simply not understand what he was supposed to be doing. He was random and panicked and that couldn't be taken into the GF against the Storm.

May held the defensive line ok, that one try the winger was going out and chucked it back inside without any control and it worked out for them. That sort of shit happens, especially for the scum, but it wasn't like the line got caught out of position.

Another option for Naden would have been perfect, having such an easy run in made that hard, but yeah he should have had one.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Be honest here, does any one have an inkling why May has not being named in the top side, yes I know he is on the reverses, or why he hasn't been named in the cup side?