What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 17th June 7:50pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Right, time to shift forcus and look towards Round 15 where we take on the Broncos up there in Brisbane on Thursday night. Playing on Saturday and then the Thursday the following week makes it a five day turn around so rest and recovery is going to be the key this week. That may explain why we played within ourselves last week, who knows? Anyway, we all know what the Broncos hae become to us. Ever since Seibold ditched us and joined them, Brisbane have become big rivals of ours. Fiece rivals and there seems to now be a lot of hate in this one, I know I certainly feel it. Even though Seibold might be gone, the rivalry still burns for me and I think the players feel the same. Could be a bit of a firey batle out there.

I don't need to talk to much about the Broncos Season, we all know they've been struggling. They got hammered again on Saturday night. However, you look at some of their games this year against Penrith and the Roosters and they've just flicked a switch. They looked pretty decent in those games and actually went with those sides for large periods throughout the game, even beating the Roosters in fact. So we have to be wary of that on Thusday night that they could turn up super switched on back at home. For that reason (and I know I say it most weeks), we simply cannot afford to take the Broncos lightly. If things click they have a very powerful side with stars like Haas, Pangai Jnr etc. If we can contain them in the forwards it will go a long way to winning as I believe we have their measure in the outside backs.

For us, as I said, it's a five day turn around so rest and recovery is going to be super important, especially after a physical game on Saturday. I expect Wayne to give a few guys like latrell and Graham a lot of time off this week so they're ready to go come Thursday. We will certainly have Cookie and cam back and are hopeful of having Gags and Jai back too. That'd be four huge ins and would make us pretty much full strength for this one!!! As I said, we need to treat Brisbane with respect and this week is all about attitude for me. We have to get our attitude right. Switch on, don't take them lightly and be aggressive. I'm expecting the intensity of the side to lift this week and it needs to across the board. On another note, I'd like our improving defence to continue to get better and it'd be good to see us fix up that completion rate too.

So, another important game, as all games are in the Origin period. I know I've given Brisbane a wrap but at pretty much full strength, on paper, this is a game we should win. However, it's up to the boys to get out there and do it. Looking foward to Thursday!

callmack1

Staff member
Forgot to mention it was Beanies for Brain Cancer Round. Always a special Round and I'd encourage everyone to buy a Beanie!! Let's raise as much as we can once again.

Graham pays tribute to retiring NSW Blues Captain, Boyd Cordner: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...e-to-retiring-nsw-blues-captain-boyd-cordner/

Koloamatangi has big praise for Rabbitohs winger, Alex Johnston: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ig-praise-for-rabbitohs-winger-alex-johnston/

"Everybody just keep stocking up on those beanies" - Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-keep-stocking-up-on-those-beanies---burgess/

How our players manage their recovery with a five-day turnaround - Rehab Report: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ring-a-short-turnaround-period--rehab-report/

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 15,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Nicholls
16. Sele/Mago
17. Burgess

So basically, full strength for this week. I don't expect Wayne to rest anyone, not at this stage of the Season. For me, this middle Origin period of the year is all about picking up the wins to earn the luxury of resting players later on closer to the Finals. This period has the potential to really set that up. The past two years, we haven't really earn't the luxury of resting players leading into the Finals and I think it's hurt us so we need to get that right this year which is why I'd go full strength where possible for now.

I think it'll be a side named as expected with Gags, Cookie, Jai and Cam all returning. On the bench, I don't think Knight has done enough to earn that spot so I'd have either Sele or Mago there.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I think you're right on the money with that line-up Callmack. The battle in the forwards is going to be interesting, but we should carve them up out wide.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Their forwards v our forwards I’d have to say they win that battle. They could win this game as was the Newcastle game our forwards were okay, but definitely didn’t make alot of metres.. we had to rely heavily on Reyno a kicking game.. bit of a soft spot for the Knights as I’m born and bred in Newcastle so that game was hard to watch lol) I believe our back 5 are in the top 3 in the game so we should win this game as well as form also. It is at Suncorp as mentioned so in Brisbane but it’s against Wayne’s old team so hopefully he will have the boys up for it as he did last year. UP THE MIGHTY BUNNIES

Travitoh

First Grade
On paper it should be a PD boosting win. 5 day turnaround including travel will probably close the gap between the two but at the same time, there are some big names that can influence a game returning somewhat fresh. Brisbane are a poor side who have no idea what their best spine looks like.

I expect a W but won't be surprised if it's a bit of a scrap.

big hit!

Bench
Their forwards v our forwards I’d have to say they win that battle. They could win this game as was the Newcastle game our forwards were okay, but definitely didn’t make alot of metres.. we had to rely heavily on Reyno a kicking game.. bit of a soft spot for the Knights as I’m born and bred in Newcastle so that game was hard to watch lol) I believe our back 5 are in the top 3 in the game so we should win this game as well as form also. It is at Suncorp as mentioned so in Brisbane but it’s against Wayne’s old team so hopefully he will have the boys up for it as he did last year. UP THE MIGHTY BUNNIES

What? On what universe is the Broncos pack better than any other team's pack, apart from probably Canterbury? They can run a ball but that's about it. They fail miserably in effort areas and defending - much of the stuff that wins you a footy match.

southsport

First Grade
Team is:

1. Latrell Mitchell
  2. Alex Johnston
  3. Dane Gagai
  4. Campbell Graham
  5. Taane Milne
  6. Cody Walker
  7. Adam Reynolds (c)
  8. Mark Nicholls
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Tevita Tatola
  11. Keaon Koloamatangi
  12. Jai Arrow
  13. Cameron Murray
  14. Braidon Burns
  15. Hame Sele
  16. Thomas Burgess
  17. Jacob Host
  18. Blake Taaffe
  19. Liam Knight
  20. Josh Mansour
  21. Jaydn Su'A

blaza88z

Coach
What? On what universe is the Broncos pack better than any other team's pack, apart from probably Canterbury? They can run a ball but that's about it. They fail miserably in effort areas and defending - much of the stuff that wins you a footy match.

Making more metres than the opposition is where our pack is better, the issue is we hand over the ball too easily and can't defend our errors. When we don't do that, we have proven a few times this year against high quality opponents we are no easy beats

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 15: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/15/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-15/

A pretty interesting line up this week but in saying that, I'm happy with it! A great side named. Mostly as expected but there are a few surprises in there. The biggest one for me is Nicholls starting at prop, Arrow in the second row with Hosty on the bench. I guess Nicho isn't too much of a surprise, he's been killing it but I was still expecting to see Jai start there. I'm really not sure how I feel about him on an edge, I reckon he's a middle player and Host has been doing really well in that spot. In saying that, Arrow is a quality player and will do a job. It could prove to be a Wayne masterstroke. The other surprise is no Benji. Has he picked up an injury? Just being rested? Or has he been dropped? I honestly don't know. Happy to have Burnsy as the bench utility though.

So basically full strength with a pretty damn good side. Keen for Thursday!!

Travitoh

First Grade
I like Burns on the bench though no Benji is interesting. Ideally they'd both be there IMO. I'd be surprised if Arrow spent all his gametime on an edge. Will probably move into the middle when one of the props are replaced by Sele or Host.

Latest posts