What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 17th June 7:50pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Yewwwww!!! Whatta night, whatta game, what a performance from our boys tonight!! I know it's against the Broncos but 46-0 is still one hell of a scoreline and it feels so good to see us fianly put the cleaners through a team. Bit of a shame we couldn't get 50 but I'm very happy with 46-0.

We dominated that game from start to finish despite not being 100% at out best and our errors which is a big effort. Took us a while to get going but when we did, man oh man we were on! Looked unstoppable as the night rolled on and Brisbane had no reply. I just loved the aggression everyone in the side brought, far better than last week.

Defence was the main thing though as holding a team to nil in this era id friggin fantastic!!

On a bit of a high after that!

big hit!

Bench
Taaffe is scheduled to eventually play 5/8, not sure when though.

Get your hands on some of the 2019 Flegg season highlights, or the 2019 Flegg GF below.

Taafe tore it apart and you'll see why the club has earmarked him and Ilias in the halves, and Mamozeulos at #9 for the future.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This guy Taane I would just like to acknowledge, he is really stepping it up taking his opportunity and making that wing spot his own. Yes sometimes he can rush in and leave the wing unmarked or be dodgy under the high ball but what I like is his toughness with the shit work coming out of our half he pumps his legs and fights pumping his legs for every single metre. He also has done well finishing plays for a few tries and what impresses me most is when he rushes off his wing he backs himself and puts on a hard hit he won’t hesitate. Also tonight when that Brisbane winger was in space he desperately stopped him from streaking away down the sideline further. I think he’s been a good buy for us. His preferred position is centre but he’s doing a job on the wing.

Put it this way Mansour might find it hard to get in now especially with the massive effort Taane is putting in. I know he’s had so many injuries as well over the years so it’s good to see him playing well with not many miles in the legs. I hope we can keep Taane for next season as well as he shouldn’t cost much and provides good depth for us. He can play some second row as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Tevita Tatola finished game on sidelines in a knee brace; suffered injury in 3rd min but played on strapped til 20th min. Video/on field testing brings concern for MCL sprain, fact he played on is positive but presence of brace usually means suspected Gr2+ sprain. 3-6 weeks if so

Bugger that’s not good news.

callmack1

Staff member

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
This guy Taane I would just like to acknowledge, he is really stepping it up taking his opportunity and making that wing spot his own. Yes sometimes he can rush in and leave the wing unmarked or be dodgy under the high ball but what I like is his toughness with the shit work coming out of our half he pumps his legs and fights pumping his legs for every single metre. He also has done well finishing plays for a few tries and what impresses me most is when he rushes off his wing he backs himself and puts on a hard hit he won’t hesitate. Also tonight when that Brisbane winger was in space he desperately stopped him from streaking away down the sideline further. I think he’s been a good buy for us. His preferred position is centre but he’s doing a job on the wing.

Put it this way Mansour might find it hard to get in now especially with the massive effort Taane is putting in. I know he’s had so many injuries as well over the years so it’s good to see him playing well with not many miles in the legs. I hope we can keep Taane for next season as well as he shouldn’t cost much and provides good depth for us. He can play some second row as well.
Yeah he is doing well. He's got more speed than Mansour.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Another pretty damn good night for Latrell this Round. You could tell he rested well during the week as he was back to full energy. I'll start by mentioning his try. It was obviously brilliant play from Cody but it was also brilliant from Trell to just be there in support, notice that Brisbane defence was sliding and call the play in a split second to get the pass and crash over. That Trell-Cody connection is amazing. Featured heavily in the rest of the game too, taking tough runs, defusing kicks, and chiming in well on attack. He put AJ in space a few times and it was his slick, quick hands that provided the assist for Campbell's first. Didn't have to do too much in defence but the work he did have to do in that area was handled with ease, was especially impressed with that strip he did. Nice game Trell!!

Johnston: AJ at his best once again!! Set the tone for a good individual performance early with his carries. He was running the ball with a fair bit on intent on both kick returns and hit ups, making decent meters and not being driven back. On the end of our left side shifts, he found himself in space a lot and while often we weren't able to turn it into points, AJ would make 20, 30 meters and put us in a good position for the next play or he'd find a pass for Gags that would almost create another line break. I just really liked how he didn't panic and try to force a play in that situation. All of this work with the ball saw him pick up 179 meters which is fantastic work. Was rewarded with two tries as he was able to continue that try scoring run, his second being the most impressive as he reeled a bad pass in from behind and scored through great skill. Another good night for AJ.

Gagai: Speaking of good nights, Gags had a bloody good return too! That left edge was on fire and a lot of that was because Gags was executing his role to perfection. Right from the start of the game it was clear he was on because he was moving so well and looked hugely dangerous. There was about four or five times he was able to beat his opposite through footwork or strength and this lead to a half break or a full line break, it was clear Brisbane didn't quite know how to handle him. Was strong with the shit work too and all of this combined (along with that intercept he took) saw him pick up a ridiculous amount of run meters for an outside back, 255 in fact. That is simply amazing!! On top of that, add no real errors in defence, two line break assists and a try and you've gotta say it was a fantastic night for Gags! The only negatives were the one error he made and not passing inside to AJ when he made that long run after the intercept, would've been a try for sure but we'll forgive him.

Graham: Not to be left out, Graham also really stood up and put in a big performance. Constantly taking tough runs out of our end to get us out of trouble, god knows how many times he did that. All of these runs were super strong too, he won almost every bit of contact he was involved in. The result of this was 168 running meters to his name, a great effort. Asked an lot of questions of the Broncos defence down that right edge on attack too with his footwork being on song. He showed that for his two tries, firstly taking a pass from Trell and stepping inside to get it down, and then most impressively putting a great move on his opposite to make something out of nothing, step past him and stretch out to score. That was awesome. My only criticism of cammy was that there was a few times Mile was open down that right side but he didn't pass, that's an area of his game he needs to work on. In defence, the Broncos threw a fair bit at him but he contained it really well and didn't let anything pass.

Milne: Completing an outstaning set of outside backs the other night was Taane as he put in a strong game too. His carries were excellent, constantly throwing himself into the defensive line with little to no self-preservation, it was great to see. This saw him get over the advantage line almost everytime he ran the Footy on the way to 154 run meters. Special shoutout to his defence too, he was strong there. Had to make a number of crucial decisions throughtout the game but he got it right almost everytime to shut the play down. Twice he saved our asses with big efforts. Both these times, the Broncos had an overlap but he steadied himself and slid. He made great contact on Farnsworth early in the send half, held him up and with a bit of help, drove him ten meters sideways into touch in an amazing effort. The next big effort was later on where he came across in cover after a little Brisbane break and forced Farnsworth into a rushed offload which bounced into touch. Congrats to him on his first try this year too, great stuff. Well done Taane!

Walker: Had a decent game last week but there was some talk that he went missing a little in general play. Well, I don't think anyone can say that about his performance on Thursday night because he was in everything. Tore the Broncos to shreads really. Cody was involved in everything we did down that left hand side and almost always came up with a great play. His flick pass for Latrell's try was just amazing, I was in awe of it, a brilliant bit of magic that only cody could produce. I've never seen him do that but he nailed it like he does it every game! Incredible. He then slowly picked the Broncos apart as the game wore on, constantly putting those outside him in space everytime we went left. Provided the final ball for Gagai's try, put Hosty into space for AJ's first, gave Gags the space to set up AJ's second and there was probably ten other plays he put on the other night that were so dangerous. He was just the man. The numbers back that up too, a line break 4 line break assists and 3 try assists. Wow. Wow, wow, wow! One of our best the other night.

Reynolds: I thought Reyno was also brilliant the other night. Probably won't get the headlines that Cody has or the praise that others had but he was an integral part of the 46-0 win. He was involved in most of our tries, whether he was first or second receiver. Everytime he straightened to square up the attack before throwing a beautiful pass. This is such an important part of our attack that goes unnoticed because it hold up the defence and allows those outside him to put on the flashy plays. He did that so many times down the left. However, he fired on the right side too as he was creating chances. A great cut-out ball to Taane that would have been a try id he didn't put a foot into touch and then the quick hands that resulted in Graham's first. I honestly think this has been Reyno's best attacking game of the year. His kicking game and goal kicking were also on and he didn't put a foot wrong in defence. A good night for Reyno as he moves into second spot on the all time appearances list for Souths.

callmack1

Staff member
Nicholls: In the past, I never thought we'd ever see Nicho in a starting role but it actually suits him pretty well!! That was shown again the other night. he didn't play many minutes due to going off with that head knock but the minutes he did play were super impactful and really helped lay the platform. A no fuss effort as always but you can't fault his effort. Strong carries and strong tackles all round, that's all he needs to do.

Cook: Not a bad game from Cookie but certainly wasn't his best. However, it was the kind of game where he didn't need to put on the flashy plays, he could leave it to others to do their thing. And he did that well as I thought his service from dummy half was near perfect, perhaps the best it's been all year. Was very impressed with the zip and width of his passes, great execution. Had a few good runs which lead to half breaks and it was good to see him not overplay his hand. On the defensive side, as always, he was one of our hardest working players so well done Cookie.

Tatola: A shame to see his night cut short through injury as he was playing really well! Barnstorming runs to open the match and he looked full of energy. 7 runs for 55 meters in the short minutes he played shows the kind of game he was having. Hopefully his knee is nothing too serious.

Koloamatangi: Speaking of serious, Keaon had yet another seriously good performance the other night. He just keeps going to new levels. Bollocking run after bollocking run, pumping those big legs after contact for as many meters as possible. Asked questions for a few of those runs too, even putting on a bit of footwork to create some chances. Had a huge workrate and that showed in the stats with 175 meters from 16 carries, that's a top notch effort. Loved his work in defence too, putting lots of shots on or getting up over th ball carrier and driving them back.

Arrow: I wasn't sure how he was going to go in the second row and I questioned that move but very happy to eat humble pie on Thursday night as it worked really well. A nice, solid game from Jai. I liked how direct his carries were, often angling in behind the ruck to find a bit of space and thus, a quick play-the-ball. Looked liked he'd been playing in the back row for years too with good decoy runs when we went left and he executed his role in defence.

Murray: Well, where do I start? Seriously, I'm kind of lost for words. How can you possible describe that performance from Cam? I know, I'm going to just come out and say it. That was honestly one of the most incredible individual performances I've ever seen from a middle forward. Seriously, he was that good. Just in everything from strong carry after strong carry, to offloads, to tackle after tackle, to big shots in defence; he was just involved in everything. Loved his ball playing too which I haven't really seen talked about yet but it was so important, probably a reason why we put on 46 points as it just added a new dyamic to our attack. 220 meters off 27, yes, friggin 27 carries is crazy reading!!! 37 tackles too. Had so many stars around him so isn't getting the wraps in the media but us Souths fans know how good he was. We are so lucky to have this guy in our team and it's a blessing to watch a performance like that from a player.

Taaffe: Strong debut!! Didn't get a lot of minutes but the touches he had were classy. Loved his try assist! just a little glimpse into the future of our club.

Sele: Huge game for Hame!! Provided great impact as soon as he came on, I think his first run was like a ten meter carry, and he continued that for the entire time he was on the field. Made a big impact with his carries and strong defence. So cool to see him get his first ever try so congrats to him and what a play that was!! The footwork and the strength to crash over! great stuff.

Burgess: Back with a bang is big Tommy! He was heavily criticised last week and rightly so, however, there can be no such complaints this week as he was enourmous off the bench. Looked really tuned in and fired up. He was back to actually charging into the line and fighting for every meter. There was even one run he had off a kick off and he went full sprint into the opposition pack, I haven't seen Tom do that in a while. Picked up a huge 185 meters in a big effort from the bench and I can't fault his defensive work one bit.

Host: Another foward I can't really fault too much. Came on and provided big impact too. Chipped away on that left edge and just didn't stop going all night to pick up 119 meters. Found himself in space a couple of times off Cody and he messed the first chance up. However, no such mistake on the second as he drew the fullback and put AJ over. Loving Hosty's work this year!!

So yea, a very happy Bunny this weekend. I know it was against the Broncos so we can't get too far ahead of ourselves but it was still a pretty good performance. Big boost to our for and against too which could be crucial. Well done lads!!

Latest posts