What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs. Melbourne Storm

Big Pete

Referee
Doesn't get much tougher for the Cowboys, but coming off a spirited win when the chips were down...anything is possible.

Side will most likely change come Wednesday...but let's speculate.

1. Shannon Gallant
2. Ash Graham
3. Ben Harris
4. Willie Tonga
5. Will Tupou
6. Matt Bowen
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Willie Mason
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. Steve Rapira
16. Carl Webb
17. Leeson Ah Mau

I suspect this will be the side.

elyod138

Bench
I think L Ah Mau has been one of our best players over the past few weeks.

Hogan hasn't shown enough in his limited stints to steal his spot IMO (though I think Hogan is a perfect replacement for O'Donnell next year).

BDR

First Grade
Looks about right. Thurston/Harris/Graham looks to be pretty shaky TBH, I hope we aren't found out.

These guys gave us an absolute hiding just a few weeks back, so it's a big ask. Hoping we've gained a bit of confidence from last week and that the Storm players pull up sore after origin

Talanexor

Juniors
I'd prefer to see Watts play right centre instead of Harris and Hogan in for Ah Mau, but I wouldn't be unhappy with your side Big Pete.

I'm selfishly hoping there will be injuries to Melbourne's origin players, but here's what I think their lineup will look like:

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Nielsen
4. Inglis
5. McDougall
6. Finch
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith
10. Tolman
11. Blair
12. Manu
13. Lowrie

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Proctor
16. Lima
17. Tandy

Dangerous on both edges, but we have a better pack IMO. I'd have Bowen defend further infield - his defence was good against the Raiders, but I don't think he could stand up to Inglis running at him all night. Let Rapira handle him.

Maybe we should tell LOD to take out Smith on Wednesday night... it would make our job a LOT easier.

Didgi

QLD players to catch AIDS raping NSW, unavailable to plan next weekend. Except for JT of course :)

Big Pete

Referee
I'd prefer to see Watts play right centre instead of Harris and Hogan in for Ah Mau, but I wouldn't be unhappy with your side Big Pete.

The side I named isn't the side I'd go for, rather it's the side I expect to see announced come Tuesday.

For starters, Ash either plays in the centres or not at all for me.

Leeson is going awesome. He's been a handful with the ball in hand, why would you replace him?

Looks like the Cowboys will be featured in the Toyota Cup again.

StinkyPete

Juniors
The side I named isn't the side I'd go for, rather it's the side I expect to see announced come Tuesday.

Leeson is going awesome. He's been a handful with the ball in hand, why would you replace him?

Looks like the Cowboys will be featured in the Toyota Cup again.

TBH I prefer Graham on the wing to williams or bani.

Newcastle Cow

Live Update Team

Look Graham is far from a superstar but he's obviously worked pretty hard on his game after an ordinary 2009 and to say he doesn't deserve a start in front of Bani and J Williams, even somewhat out of position, well you must of have been watching different Cowboys games to us Pete.

I like the team overall, good to see Henry has finally bitten the bullet, shame it didnt start earlier.

I also like this idea of Watts at centre, with Amos coming onto the bench, as was discussed in another thread. I don't think Harris is up to first grade any more, sure his defence is relatively solid, but he's slow and doesn't offer much in attack. Having said that I think that was his first game for us this seasons and we won, so he's earned his spot.

Talanexor

Juniors

His defence and handling has improved, but his positional play is still very ordinary. Someone brought up a while ago that he was not providing any cover for Williams under bombs - I don't think Williams would have caught it anyway, but this certainly didn't help.

He can tackle, catch and finish off tries better than Bani or Williams. That's enough reason to put him on the wing IMO, especially when we have other options at centre.

A lot of people will disagree with me on this point, but I feel we already have enough attacking backrowers. Bolton, Mason, O'Donnell and maybe Webb are all better than Leeson at this. I'd prefer another defensive player in there to do some of the tackling and keep those guys fresher for the attack.

Out of curiosity Big Pete, what would your ideal lineup look like?

Didgi

'Ideal' is tough. After Gallant's 20try saving tackles on Saturday, and looking at Bowen's kicking game:

1. Gallant
2. Williams
3. Tonga
4. Watts
5. Tupou
6. Bowen
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Payne
10. Tamou
11. Mason
12. Bolton
13. O'donnell
14. Amos
15. Webb
16. Hogan
17. Rapira

That might not be the 100% best side but it's the one I want to run out, the try a few things and reinforce some ideas.

elyod138

Bench
Official Team
1 Matthew Bowen
2 Ashley Graham
3 Will Tupou
4 Willie Tonga
5 John Williams
6 Michael Morgan
7 Johnathan Thurston
8 Matt Scott
9 Aaron Payne
10 Carl Webb
11 Scott Bolton
12 Willie Mason
13 Luke O’Donnell

14 Anthony Watts
15 Steve Rapira
16 Leeson Ah Mau
17 James Tamou

It'll probably change again.

BDR

First Grade
Looks alright, the only change I'd make at the moment is Bowen into 6 and Gallant at the back, I don't know how likely that is for this week.

And of course the obligatory post blasting John Williams' selection again, but there's only so many times you can beat that drum. I don't know what Ben Harris did wrong last weekend.

wavell_cowboy

Juniors
whats with watts being wanted in the centres? We get carved up in the centres anyway but honestly dont you think a left centre with a bit of speed and footwork would make watts look just as bad as ash graham. Leave him as impact at hooker.

Big Pete

Referee
Look Graham is far from a superstar but he's obviously worked pretty hard on his game after an ordinary 2009 and to say he doesn't deserve a start in front of Bani and J Williams, even somewhat out of position, well you must of have been watching different Cowboys games to us Pete.

I know he has improved, I was one of only a few on here who commented on it in the early part of the season when everybody else wanted him dropped.

The problem is he's terrible on the wing. That drop he had early in the second half was embarrassing and he was caught out on a few occasions that night.

Mind you, I'd rather see somebody else on the wing before all three. Quite possibly Malone, although, I do need to find more footage of him before I make a judgement call there. The media reports have been kind though.

His defence and handling has improved, but his positional play is still very ordinary. Someone brought up a while ago that he was not providing any cover for Williams under bombs - I don't think Williams would have caught it anyway, but this certainly didn't help.

Good point.

It was fairly obvious in the Warriors game for mine.
A lot of people will disagree with me on this point, but I feel we already have enough attacking backrowers. Bolton, Mason, O'Donnell and maybe Webb are all better than Leeson at this. I'd prefer another defensive player in there to do some of the tackling and keep those guys fresher for the attack.

O'Donnell and Webb better attacking players? Maybe in 2009 but this season Leeson has been a handful and has attracted plenty of attention. To me, he's an ideal front row benchy.

Besides, you have Rapira there for defence, and if you really want somebody there in d, why not Kaufusi? Dude has only missed 4 tackles all season (and has made more than a few you've listed to boot).

Out of curiosity Big Pete, what would your ideal lineup look like?

For this weekend?
Actually not too different from the one I named.

1. Shannon Gallant
2. Donald Malone
3. Ash Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. Will Tupou
6. Matt Bowen
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Mat Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Willie Mason
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. Steve Rapira
16. Antonio Kaufusi
17. Leeson Ah Mau

18. Ben Harris
19. Dane Hogan

Gallant doesn't deserve to be dropped for that performance. He put in, and deserves to be retained.

Malone on the wing may some quizzical but I keep hearing a lot of good things about him and I believe he deserves to be rewarded. Cowboys also need some more speed down the edges and given he has more confidence than Bani right now, I believe he would be the ideal winger.

Graham has been solid all-season. He doesn't deserve to be dropped.

The rest basically writes itself. Bowen can remain at five eigth, I feel as if he and Thurston would strike up a good combination in the mean time, and he did a wonderful job of organising on Saturday.

Rapira and Kaufusi are strong defenders off the bench while Ah Mau brings forward the impact.

Harris and Hogan can tour too, let them feel involved.

Webb needs more time on the field, I'd have him play for the Pride and getting them to play him for 60 minutes and just have him increase his workload. Dude needs to work on the basics.

At full strength though, Thompson would be there and Bowen would be at fullback.

Wingers maybe different too, either Malone or Geia, whoever is more confident, can catch and can run like the wind.

Talanexor

Juniors
whats with watts being wanted in the centres? We get carved up in the centres anyway but honestly dont you think a left centre with a bit of speed and footwork would make watts look just as bad as ash graham. Leave him as impact at hooker.

There are a couple of reasons for this, but it's definitely debatable.

1 - Watts and Payne bring very different things to the team. IMO you need them both on the field at once
2 - We're short of quality wingers. The Williamses and Bani have failed all season, whereas Graham has improved his defence, and handling, and is better at finishing tries. Moving Graham to wing and someone else to right centre is a better solution.
3 - Watts is fast, has good ball skills and is a solid defender. Harris on the other hand is decent in defence but offers nothing in attack. The only other option is Graham - and that would mean Bani or Williams on the wing.
4 - Watts can't play hooker for 80 mins, but needs to be on the field as long as possible. If you put him at centre he's there for 80 mins but doesn't have the workload he would defending closer in, so he should still be effective the whole time.

Long term, Watts deserves a starting spot. If he doesn't get it at the Cowboys, he'll get it somewhere else. He's a tough bloke, enormously talented, gives every match his all and has definitely fixed his attitude and temperament. I'd hate to lose him.

The other option is to play him at lock, but I think he'd be far more effective with more time and space on the edges.

Graham's defence has improved a lot, but his positioning is still rubbish, he rarely breaks the line and still doesn't know how to set up his outside man. Watts can do all those things, meaning we have attacking options on both sides of the field.

We gain a lot more than we lose IMO. Watts reminds me a bit of Shaun Berrigan, and he played a lot in the centres (even a few Origins i recall) as well as halves and hooker.

wavell_cowboy

Juniors
Sorry i cant agree, i can only see watts as a sub hooker. Gallant, Watts, Bowen, JT, Payne all on the field at once is asking for big big trouble. All i can think about watts playing centres is him defending inglis, Folau, Tahu or Jennings. Would get messy quickly.

elyod138

Bench
I think Watts would get owned if he played in the centres full time.

Defending in the centres is a lot different to defending in the middle of the field.

Latest posts