What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Raiders

getsmarty

Immortal

Hunt nails Origin audition in epic comeback, Hodgson can’t save Canberra Faders: 3 Big Hits​

Mark St John

Mark St John from Fox Sports
@markdfstjohn
June 19th, 2021 7:43 pm
A Ben Hunt masterclass has inspired the Dragons to a thrilling 22-20 comeback win over the Raiders to stamp his Queensland papers for Origin II.
Here are the key takeaways from the match.

HUNT NAILS ORIGIN AUDITION
If Ben Hunt isn’t in a Maroons jersey for Origin II there will be hell to pay for Queensland selectors because he couldn’t do anymore at WIN Stadium.
Hunt was by far and away the best player on the field with a mesmerising display that had the Raiders skating on thin ice at times.

Corey Parker praised Hunt’s ability to take his team on his back and will them back into the contest after a slow start.
“Ben Hunt was terrific,” Parker said.

“Two linebreak assists and a try assist. Everything was happening around Ben Hunt.
“He has been terrific for the Dragons since getting the captaincy.”
Hunt finished with 100 run metres, five tackle busts, two linebreaks, two linebreak assists and two try assists in a superb showing.

Hunt might not be displacing Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans in the No.7 jersey, but he has to be in the 17 somewhere and the No.14 jersey looks the most likely spot.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
HODGSON BACK TO HIS BEST FOR RESURGENT RAIDERS
Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson has had his fair share of critics in 2021, but the English hooker is finally showing he is back to his best.
It is easy to forget Hodgson was coming off a serious long-term knee injury this season so it was always going to take time for the No.9 to get his confidence back.
Corey Parker and Dan Ginnane lauded Hodgson’s stoicism to put all the off-field conjecture surrounding his future behind him and help inspire the Raiders in their season turnaround.
“Josh Hodgson there is a man who has been significant tonight,” Ginnane said to Parker.
“He was terrific for the Raiders in the opening stages of that first half,” Parker said.
“He dictated terms to the Dragons defence. He came up with a try assist and really had his forwards going forward playing off the back of that.”
Hodgson set up the first try of the game to Corey Harawira-Naera with a brilliant dart out of dummyhalf.

“Wonderful piece of deception out to this left-hand side,” Parker said.
“Wighton and Simonsson were all lined up to the left and Hodgson went right.
“Wonderful play from Hodgson.
“I like when Josh Hodgson gets the ball in his hands and makes a decision. He has got seven try assists now for 2021. Leads the way comfortably for Canberra in that area.
“He needs to take control in that area and that try showed why.”
“It does seem like Hodgson has returned to his best form in the last two weeks,” Ginnane said.
Hodgson finished with 32 run metres, a tackle bust, a linebreak assist and a try assist to go with 45 tackles.
NORMAN’S STRONG AUDITION FOR NEW CLUB AS FADERS RETURN
Unwanted Dragons star Corey Norman may have started slowly against the Raiders, but he stormed home in the second half and scored the match winning try and conversion.
There may have been a horror wind to contend with, but unfortunately for the Raiders their bad old habit of fading in second halves came back to haunt them again.
Norman kicked dead twice in a row in the first half and was guilty of a high tackle on Sebastian Kris when the Dragons had the Raiders under the pump.

However he grew into the contest and finished with 79 run metres, a tackle bust, two offloads, a try assist and 10 points including the match winning try and conversion.
The Dragons might not want him on their books next year and he won’t command the $800,000 he is currently on, but there is definitely a club that could do with a player of his caliber.
A 2021 ©

getsmarty

Immortal

‘I’m perplexed’: NRL legend, fans fume over Raider’s lucky sinbin escape​

Simonsson takes out Ramsey of Dragons
Simonsson takes out Ramsey of DragonsSource: FOX SPORTS
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
June 19th, 2021 6:51 pm
Broncos great Corey Parker has torched the NRL bunker after Canberra fullback Bailey Simonsson stayed on the field despite deliberately taking out Dragons winger Cody Ramsey.
Late in the first half, St George Illawarra shifted the ball down their left edge with Ramsey kicking the ball ahead of himself.

As he gave chase, Simonsson came across and bumped the Red V youngster.
Simonsson tumbled to the ground and while Ramsey didn’t fall over, he was knocked off course.
Then there was a foot race to the tryline with Ramsey’s kick sitting up perfectly for Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan.

The debutant knocked on, with Ramsey missing the ball and referee Chris Sutton calling for time off to send the decision to the bunker.
“Cody Ramsey is the kicker, all players are onside,” said bunker official Alan Shortall.
“The Dragons knocked on in the in-goal area, we’re looking to see if there was interference earlier in the play.
“Bailey Simonsson has taken out Cody Ramsey, which is a penalty. There are Raiders players in the area so there will be no sin-binning. There is a knock-on in the in-goal area, we have a decision.”

The Dragons scored on the following set, but Parker was adamant Simonsson should have gone for ten in the bin.
“It’s a professional foul, there’s no doubt if he’s taken out,” Parker said.
“Ramsey has put the ball on the toe and it flirts with the sideline. Simonsson doesn’t have any eyes for the ball whatsoever there.
“He’s made a conscious effort as the ball comes off Sloan so it’s knock-on from the Dragons there.
“I’m perplexed why he’s not gone to the bin. It was a professional foul with intent to run Ramsey off the ball.
“Whether he gets there or not is irrelevant, there was an intent on a tryscoring opportunity.”

P.S I was also perplexed how they missed the blatant knock on in the Raiders 1st try.........notice how the Fox commentators went quiet on the replay...

Terrible officiating....held down our players all night...gutsy win.

blacksafake

First Grade

‘I’m perplexed’: NRL legend, fans fume over Raider’s lucky sinbin escape​

Simonsson takes out Ramsey of Dragons
Simonsson takes out Ramsey of DragonsSource: FOX SPORTS
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
June 19th, 2021 6:51 pm
Broncos great Corey Parker has torched the NRL bunker after Canberra fullback Bailey Simonsson stayed on the field despite deliberately taking out Dragons winger Cody Ramsey.
Late in the first half, St George Illawarra shifted the ball down their left edge with Ramsey kicking the ball ahead of himself.

As he gave chase, Simonsson came across and bumped the Red V youngster.
Simonsson tumbled to the ground and while Ramsey didn’t fall over, he was knocked off course.
Then there was a foot race to the tryline with Ramsey’s kick sitting up perfectly for Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan.

The debutant knocked on, with Ramsey missing the ball and referee Chris Sutton calling for time off to send the decision to the bunker.
“Cody Ramsey is the kicker, all players are onside,” said bunker official Alan Shortall.
“The Dragons knocked on in the in-goal area, we’re looking to see if there was interference earlier in the play.
“Bailey Simonsson has taken out Cody Ramsey, which is a penalty. There are Raiders players in the area so there will be no sin-binning. There is a knock-on in the in-goal area, we have a decision.”

The Dragons scored on the following set, but Parker was adamant Simonsson should have gone for ten in the bin.
“It’s a professional foul, there’s no doubt if he’s taken out,” Parker said.
“Ramsey has put the ball on the toe and it flirts with the sideline. Simonsson doesn’t have any eyes for the ball whatsoever there.
“He’s made a conscious effort as the ball comes off Sloan so it’s knock-on from the Dragons there.
“I’m perplexed why he’s not gone to the bin. It was a professional foul with intent to run Ramsey off the ball.
“Whether he gets there or not is irrelevant, there was an intent on a tryscoring opportunity.”

P.S I was also perplexed how they missed the blatant knock on in the Raiders 1st try.........notice how the Fox commentators went quiet on the replay...

Terrible officiating....held down our players all night...gutsy win.
Missing the knock on in the play the ball for their 1st try was unbelievable

Dragsters

First Grade
JDB makes so much difference, Hunt was excellent. We showed a lot of heart in the second half. My concern is our forwards - why don’t they offload much?

Welcome to the forum.

JDB sure does!

Hunt is getting back to his early season brilliance.

Our start was lethargic, almost lazy, I was nervous at the break, then the second half was the opposite!

Great oranges maybe?

I reckon if this pack can get more game time together, then they will develop more offloads.

Here's hoping we can go on a run...

BLM01

First Grade
Good win.
Liked the fact they didn’t panic & played smart in the second half.

Hunt, outstanding. JDB getting better. Macca was Macca. Norman good in patches, if he was quicker he’d of made at least 6 breaks.
Sims was strong. Kerr better. Some good things from Burns. Jack as usual, physical. Sloan will only get better.
I can’t understand how C Sutton gets a ref gig, he’s challenging Klein as worse. When a player is picked up off the ground tackle is complete yet he allowed 4 players to pick Rava up & drag him back in goal. The penalty against Billy at the death for ruck infringement was pathetic. Both these decisions could have been dire & most likely would have if playing a better side.
And think about the tries we bombed or just could not get the bounce of the ball

SGMax

Juniors
How much better does Kerr look at prop.
Billy Burns looks a reasonable 2nd rower.
I still prefer Bird to be at centre, especially once Fui is back. He can play in the backrow if we secure a better centre. Williame is OK as backup or on the bench, Beale can backup Williame.
Impressed with Sloan, good involvement always looking to backup and moves well.
Can't believe Simonson didn't get sin binned, same for Tapine with that shoulder to Burns' face.
If a Dragon player had done what Rapana did to Hunt while already tackled on the ground, I'm sure it would have been at least a penalty.
Couple of shit calls favoured the raiders with the lost ball before their try, another blatant forward pass from dummy half, and a few more.
We needed to use about 3 Captain's challenges for decisions that the ref favoured the raiders. How telling is that?
We need a top line prop.....if JDB moves to prop, we should go for Brandon Smith as a lock (with cover for dummy half) and Tevita Pangai Junior at 2nd row & can also play prop if needed.
Stop going after mediocre/average forwards hoping they will come good.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I still prefer Bird to be at centre, especially once Fui is back. He can play in the backrow if we secure a better centre. Williame is OK as backup or on the bench, Beale can backup Williame.
Can't believe Simonson didn't get sin binned, same for Tapine with that shoulder to Burns' face.
If a Dragon player had done what Rapana did to Hunt while already tackled on the ground, I'm sure it would have been at least a penalty.
Couple of shit calls favoured the raiders with the lost ball before their try, another blatant forward pass from dummy half, and a few more.
We needed to use about 3 Captain's challenges for decisions that the ref favoured the raiders. How telling is that?
We need a top line prop.....if JDB moves to prop, we should go for Brandon Smith as a lock (with cover for dummy half) and Tevita Pangai Junior at 2nd row & can also play prop if needed.
Good summary. It's the best game I have seen Billy Burns play, so maybe he is coming good. JDB has certainly added some steel to the pack. When Fui, Grub and Zac are back we should have a reasonable team - if we don't lose another few to suspensions. Early days but I thought Sloan had a great debut and he looks like he might be the a possible answer to the fullback question.

St Tangles

Bench
Agree re Kerr
Much better prop then second rower

hewi

Bench
Boy oh boy I think we have some great dilemmas coming our way. Competition for spots, pressure to perform. Great 3 back rowers to start in Sims , Bird and JDB then there’s Fui, Burns and Ford. Good man management needed now any niggles rest them don’t flog them like the peanut. Front row of Kerr, Laurie, Vaughan, Alvero or McGuire with Faamausilli and Ellis as back ups. Centres are well covered as we know with Lomas due back. I see light at the end of the tunnel and I’m thinking it’s not a train, maybe last week was the low point of our season. If Hunt can keep up the good work I think 6/7 is still on the cards.

FlameThrower

Bench
We are pinning our hopes on untested and as usual small and slender juniors. I’m not convinced we are anywhere near being a Top4 side with the makeup of the roster for next year. Not enough strike power, speed or X Factor. Let alone on field leaders.

Latest posts