What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - Knights vs Rabbitohs: Friday 8th July 7:55pm @McDonald Jones Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
JD also says if he was not suspended last week Jed Cartwright would’ve played and he or Chee Kam will play off the bench upcoming to allow us to push Jai to middle mid game

Rabbits20

Immortal
Campbell
AJ
Karipani
Mamozelos
Cook
Arrow
Murray
Host
Sele
Nicholls
Knight

Anyone else out?

Apparently AJ pulled up today with that quad in the captains run and had a lengthy chat with JD. Sounds like he could be out and Kennar in.

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou's Round 17 Coaches Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/07/07/jason-demetriou-round-17-media/

Round 17 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/07/07/round-17-captains-run/

So mixed reports on AJ. JD says he's sweet, others who were at training say he won't be. God, I friggin hope he is!! We bloody well need him man! Can't have him out on top of what we already have.

Gutted that Nicho is confirmed out, another big blow. That will change the make-up of the side tomorrow considerably.

Dunno about you guys but jeez, I'm nervous already!

callmack1

Staff member
Souths haven't posted an official 19-man squad article but the team has been updated on NRL.com. Davvy to lock to cover Nicho, the rest of the side remains the same for now.

However, that's left me a bit confused because Shaq was wearing a black shirt today and is said to come into the side is he not? But Taaffe was in a black shirt too? I am confused. Who knows what the make-up of our bench is?

Surely they just go with Liva starting at hooker, Nikorima on the bench to cover him, Davvy starting at lock and Shaq onto the bench to replace Taaffe.

callmack1

Staff member
Alrighty guys and girls, once again our favourite day of the week is here. That's right, it's game day!!!! We take on the Knights up there in Newcastle in what is a vitally important game in our Season. Heading into the back end of the year, we really need to make a run and start making moves. Our draw is tough so games like this become crucial, it's so damn important that we walk away with the two points tonight. Almost a must-win.

It's certainly not going to be easy with all the guys we have out. Weeks ago, I had this game against Newcastle marked on the calander as a win, however, I am now not so sure. We are missing six, possibly seven of our regular line up tonight due to Origin and injury. That is a huge number of guys to have unavailable and you can see in our line up that it has affected us big time. The guys we have out really brings us back to the pack and ensures this will be an extremely tough game and we're going to need to draw on everything we've got to get the win.

What's more, yes, the Knights have been struggling, but they seemed to really find some form last week and could be on the up. I have no doubt they'll come out tonight and play extremely well, especially at home so we're going to be up against it. There are some stars in their side such as Best, Young, Milford, Brailey, Klemmer and Frizell, just to name a few. Keeping this firepower at defensively is going to be key tonight.

For us, it really just has to be a 'next man up' mentality. I know that's cliche' but that's exactly what it has to be with the guys we have out. Although it makes it extremely tough no doubt, we cannot use it as an excuse, and I think the lads that are out there in the Red and Green tonight are good enough to beat this Newcastle side if they play as we want to. The boys need to be thinking about who we've got, not who we're missing. Trell, AJ (if he plays), Cody, and Tom are still there. They're all senior, star players and we need all of them in particular to stand up and stamp their authority. Lead boys!! Lead the way! It's a particularly big night for Latrell as he captain's his first NRL side. Let's go out there and do it for him! Holding the ball is going to be key. If we fail to do that, then I think we're no chance. We must complete well. I'm not expecting the defence to be first class with some guys we're missing (although, it still needs to be strong) so holding the ball and executing in attack becomes even more important.

So, it's a big day and I gotta say, I'm nervous. Very nervous. Not fully confident but I back our boys all the way!!! A win tonight would put out a big statement and do wonders for our Season. Let's go lads!!!

Hellray

Juniors
Do they maybe play Taffe at FB and move latrel to the centres and Milne to wing for AJ? Maybe that’s why they still had the playing shirts on

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well it’s Game Day again another important game as we play the Knights away from home in Newcastle. We will be without all our origin guys plus a few of our guys picked up injuries last week so I think we have 9-10 of our top 30 out so we will have to rely on some of our depth guys to step up. Trell being named captain is very exciting and he deserves it we need a big one from him tonight but for him to do his stuff we need our forwards to match the Knights pack as best they can for Trell and Cody to do their thing. We will need big minutes from Tom, Junior, Keaon and Havili tonight. Moale will get another opportunity and the likes of Jed and Chee Kam coming back from injury will get their opportunity. It’ll also be exciting to see DSF play his first game tonight for us looking forward to watching him play.

Looking at the Knights this is close to the best side they’ve named all year yes they have no Ponga, Gagai and J. Saifiti but they get Best and Brailey back. Milford and Clune will be hungry for big games as will their very strong pack of Klemmer, D. Saifiti, Frizell, Barnett, Mann etc…… the Knights will be looking to build on last weeks win and gain momentum!

For us we also need to put back to back wins together every game is very important with the position we are in. If we can get the job done tonight being undermanned it’d be a tremendous win and great for the boys confidence. To do that though we must turn up with the right attitude willing to work hard for one another. We must complete highly not making cheap errors kick to corners, show good line speed in defence, not give cheap penalties away and stop the Knights offloads will be key.

So Rabbitohs Members and Supporters whether at the game tonight, or at Souths Juniors or at home EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET AT 7:55PM TONIGHT LETS URGE THE BOYS HOME WEAR THE COLOURS PROUDLY AND CHEER LOUDLY WE CAN DO THIS! GLORY GLORY TO SOUTH SYDNEY LETS GO YOU MIGHTY RABBITOHS LETS RIP RIGHT INTO NEWY!!! LETS GET THESE VITAL 2 POINTS!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Cook's cheeky sledge to new Souths skipper as Blues star opens up on Latrell's Origin bombshell: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9a0628db63b757aa9edcbc3173cd0319

Kennar, DSK and Shaq all out of Cup.

Taaffe playing cup!
Interesting. So that confirms Shaq in for Taaffe. Kennar not playing Cup doesn't necessarily mean that AJ is out, because Richie could be 18th man.

Trell and Shaq will play first grade TOGETHER for the first time tonight! That's pretty bloody special!

Jeez I'm nervous!

callmack1

Staff member
AJ is out in another tough blow. Kennar to replace him.

We are really up against it now and our backs are seriously against the wall. However, we need to overcome that and I know the boys can!! We can do this if we hold the ball!!

Our senior players in Trell, Cody, Tom and Keaon really need to stand up right now, they are the key.

I'm nervous but so pumped!!

Let's goooooo!!!

Eric the great

Juniors
Cody is playing the footy that we know he can play and Cartwright played good solid so all the doomsdayers calm down and enjoy the ride it’s exciting

Nafedogg

Juniors
Yeah I’ll eat my words haha. Wasn’t looking too good for a period there, and thought we might shit the bed, credit to the boys they didn’t give up.

Cody had a blinder, if he keeps this up for the 2nd half of the season then we go well. All the fowards were bloody awesome, Tom had another game, I’d dare say he is playing his best footy! Glad to get the win.

callmack1

Staff member
Yeeehaaaa!! What a night!! That really is a fantastic win when you take a step back and have a look at it. Super, super impressive. Eight, yes eight, regulars already out, lose your halfback in the opening minute, and playing a confident Knights team at home. Yet we still played pretty damn good and got a pretty comfortable win! I know it was against Newcastle but when you consider all the guys we were missing, it was just so impressive! One for the ages I believe, such was the effort.

It did get a bit shaky there for a time in the first half but super proud of the boy's effort to turn it around and actually dominate the game. I didn't expect a performance of such quality but we did it! Commitment, passion, focus, it was all there!!

Our star players all fired while the rest did their jobs and that's what I've been banging on about all week. Our middles in particular were outstanding and they set up the win I believe.

A lot of guys out there who haven't played much in first grade and guys who weren't used to the minutes they were playing. I'm just so proud of the way they stepped up.

That was awesome!! A vital two points too! Stoked!

Well done lads, this is a game I will never forget. So tough, so brave. That's the South Sydney spirit!

callmack1

Staff member