What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Eels Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
No catch 22 pete .........just simply not good enough.

Maybe super Moylan should be given a chance? I thought he showed more "zing" with the ball in hand against the raiders than Copely has all year

and I think Gagai should be there ahead of Copely any way, or at least until he's proven he can't cut it. He showed promise at the start of the year......

Copley deserves a stint in QCup but I wouldn't write his career off yet. Simply he's serving an apprenticeship in a position he's rarely played and has no future in.

Gagai SHOULD be our starting winger but it's his own fault he isn't. Not strong enough to play first grade and very poor positionally. Has a lot of talent but like a lot of NYC players isn't doing the 1%ers to stamp his spot in first grade.

Neither will start with Beale there at the moment.

andrew057 said:
Good to see Baptiste starting instead of the overrated hack McCullough.

Maybe a poor choice of words but how is a 21 year old who gets bagged out by commentators and supporters an overrated hack? How many other 21 year old hookers (or players around that age) do you see tearing it up?

Waddell?
Friend?
Seluini?
Segeyaro?
Mitchell?
Mara?
Rein?
Peats?
Lawnton?
Jones?

Even Srama has been complacent over the past couple of weeks after an impressive start.

No doubt Baptiste is a promising talent and has injected a lot of energy out of dummy half but to write off Macca at such a young age is just silly.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well if you are going to have McCullough in the team then he might as well be starting. Defence is his obvious strong point, so let him take the first 20 of the game atleast when it is the toughest. And Baptise is quick and nippy from dummy half and has been good coming on fresh when the opposition forwards are tired. It just makes a lot more sense to me....

I thought Baptiste to start in the 9. but after reading this I tend to agree with you.

IBA

Juniors
I think our attack is going to lose a lot without the origin stars. Perhaps they want to start with their best attacking team to get on the front foot early?

Southern Cross

Juniors
McCullough has had more than enough time to establish himself in first grade,his defence is good but that is it he makes the wrong attacking decisions continualy and is very selfish,any one questions Baptise in defence should watch the Souths game last week his efforts on Dave Taylor on 2 occasion were as good as anyone.

Mr Fourex

Bench
McCullough has had more than enough time to establish himself in first grade,his defence is good but that is it he makes the wrong attacking decisions continualy and is very selfish,any one questions Baptise in defence should watch the Souths game last week his efforts on Dave Taylor on 2 occasion were as good as anyone.

Saw both of those efforts on Taylor. Agree with you 100%

The kid's fearless...........and has good technique.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Copley deserves a stint in QCup but I wouldn't write his career off yet. Simply he's serving an apprenticeship in a position he's rarely played and has no future in.

Gagai SHOULD be our starting winger but it's his own fault he isn't. Not strong enough to play first grade and very poor positionally. Has a lot of talent but like a lot of NYC players isn't doing the 1%ers to stamp his spot in first grade.

Neither will start with Beale there at the moment.

Fair 'nuff. I'm not anti Beale........

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh I agree also -Haven't been able to fault Baptiste much at all -and it's nice and refreshing to see a different number 9 -I think what it's also done is make McCollough try harder (on the field) also from what we saw @ the Dragons game!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Apparently the stats said Baptiste made 5 missed tackles... But from what I saw I tend to you agree with, Baptisite looked really solid in defence. Perhaps there will always be more missed tackles in the wet??

no_try

Juniors
It's like if Issac Luke was on the Storm roster when Cameron Smith was first starting out. Everyone will be calling for Smith's head cause Luke is quicker out of dummy half.
In saying that Baptise is a talent and should be on the bench.
Ben Hunt hasn't done anything for 3 years.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I wouldn't say McCullough is "just starting out", he's had over 50 first grade games!

I'm with BF. Have McCullough on for first stint to utilise his defence then get Baptiste in there fresh to start carving up.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Maybe... But he had shown much more by then compared with McCullough...

I'm not trying to bag McCullough out. Just think that Baptiste has more potential, that's all... Could very well be wrong, I've only seen Baptiste play a few games anyway.

IBA

Juniors
I don't think missed tackles during that souths game can be taken on face value. There were a heap of players with 4,5 and 6 missed tackles. Baptiste needs, and deserves, more game time and starting him it's how they'll do that. Also, I think mac is probably there to come into lock and hunt will be bench hooker

Big Pete

Referee
Well Cam Smith was playing Origin within 50 games.

But that says more about the Maroons at that point in time than it does about Smith.

no_try

Juniors
Cameron Smith debut in game 3 of the 2003 series after PJ Marsh played game 1 and Micky Crocker game 2.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
BF just goin off old numbers from his first deal said to be around the 220k mark. If it is less than 150k/yr fine, but if its over that figure personally I think its poor cap management. Just an opinion.

IBA

Juniors
Baptiste is out with a shoulder problem. McCullough into starting hooker and McGuire is back and on the bench.

Good with the bad...

Smiley

Bench
Bad news about Kurt but it's good to have Josh back and the bench is more respectable now.

Latest posts