What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Knights Discussion + Voting

AceAv

Juniors
Yep will do GTB sorry,

Honestly we just have to cross our fingers and hope Hoffman and Barba were taken into the special corner and made to practice drills that compensate what they have been so lacking all season.

I want to enjoy the game given both teams will be desperate for a win, but feel pretty concerned we will just be playing the blame game again come full time...

God I hope to see Oates get some minutes too.

Bronco18

Juniors
We're losing games at the end and we're looking tired, I can't see any benefit in playing 16 players...
Especially if it's Oates on the bench. That kid would be dynamite on the edges.

It's a bit of a band aid solution but it's time Hoffman and Barba swapped places. Barba's strengths as a fullback are useless if his inside man is Hoffman, while Hoffman was always dependable under the high ball and a strong kick returner (something Barba seems too nervous to do at the moment). Barba at 5/8th would take some pressure off Hunt too. Maybe if we lose to the Knights this week Griffin would be pressured to make a change.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Reed in the centres- FMD
Hoffman at 5/8- FMD
Lowie again- FMD
Oates on the bench to get NO MINUATES- FMD

Well I'll get to bed early on Friday...thats a positive!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I was flying home from Melbourne on Friday night so only caught the tail end of the replay of the Tits game, but to discover that Griffin only used 16 players is just astounding. The team were out on their feet in those crucial last ten minutes, but Griffin had Oates sitting there on the bench warming his hands?

What a f**king joke.

If he doesn't use the full bench this week he is officially insane. I can understand instances where a coach will keep a player on the bench if he's not needed, but when the scores are so low and so close - that's exactly when you need to inject a fresh player!

Dazzat

First Grade
If he doesn't use the full bench this week he is officially insane. I can understand instances where a coach will keep a player on the bench if he's not needed, but when the scores are so low and so close - that's exactly when you need to inject a fresh player!

I'm convinced that Griffin wouldn't know a "calculated risk" if it bit him on the arse.

The only reason Oates got time last year was due to a player crisis. There's a clear pattern that has emerged in his team selection policy - stick to the status quo until all is lost.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The only thing I'm thankful...this is the delayed match in NSW...thank goodness, Griffin has NFI!

Big Pete

Referee
The only reason Oates got time last year was due to a player crisis.

I expected better from you Daz, I suppose it's common that memories fade when agendas are at the fore-front.

Oates was promoted after a stellar performance against the Warriors in the NYC. He had already been identified as a top player, hence he was promoted to the Top 25 and was given a shot off the bench against Melbourne in Melbourne. He kept his spot, because he deserved to.

Hook's decision to keep Oates on the bench was stupid and it will probably bite him in the ass now that Oates suffered an injury in the ISC but let's not rewrite history either.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hook's decision to keep Oates on the bench was stupid and it will probably bite him in the ass now that Oates suffered an injury in the ISC but let's not rewrite history either.

Is this why Wallace is 18th man, because Oates may not play?

Dazzat

First Grade
I expected better from you Daz, I suppose it's common that memories fade when agendas are at the fore-front.

Oates was promoted after a stellar performance against the Warriors in the NYC. He had already been identified as a top player, hence he was promoted to the Top 25 and was given a shot off the bench against Melbourne in Melbourne. He kept his spot, because he deserved to.

Thank you for correcting me. But, wouldn't it be right to say that Oates only RETAINED his spot because of injury, filling in at wing.

My point still remains though - besides Oates where is the evidence that players are developing under Griffin?

I look at other clubs and see young players coming through all the time. The rate of young players coming through the ranks at Brisbane is now a trickle.

And I don't believe I have any other agenda than discussing what I see albeit from a distance. I don't have inside information from the club, but can clearly see the deteriorating of many aspects of the club - and I have every right to put these on the table and be corrected where I'm wrong.

Wallace, for me, sums up the dilemma. Here's a guy who's had a handful of runs in first grade, sat on the bench longer the Forest Gump, and will probably freeze like Dumb and Dumber when he finally gets a proper run. The way Griffin has treated Wallace (from what I can see - I don't know what goes on behind the scenes) seems counter productive to his development. Players development when the coach shows confidence in them, not selecting them only to leave them on the bench, or to put them back to the Queensland Cup week after week.

Kiwi

First Grade
It will be interesting to see what happens with our young players, because it's not like our under 20's are struggling, or we don't have some strong club affiliations in the ISC, hell 4 of the top 5 teams currently on the ISC ladder are affiliated with the Broncos. I can't see why we couldn't look to one of those sides for a 6 if Nikorima isn't going to get a shot.

Big Pete

Referee
@Big Pete - what's the ISC?

u4er nailed it, the Intrust Super Cup or the Queensland Cup.

Is this why Wallace is 18th man, because Oates may not play?

I'd say so GTB.

But, wouldn't it be right to say that Oates only RETAINED his spot because of injury, filling in at wing.

Nah, because if that was the case Daz, why wasn't Oates dropped when Kahu returned from injury? He was retained in first grade because he earned his spot and anything else to the contrary is mere speculation.

I think there is a fair criticism there over Hook's development choices but Oates in 2013 is probably the worst example you can use with all due respect.

Right now, we're seeing a few NYC boys being promoted to the ISC - Molo, Paia'Aua, Byrnes and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a run down the track if form permits. Long term, a lot of people are begging for Kodi to be selected in the halves - but the real talent of the Nikorima family is Jayden Nikorima. Jayden is still only 17 and I'm unsure if he can legally play first grade just yet but he's been a stand out in the NYC. Still very raw, but has the talent to go all the way. Judging on some of the video I've seen, I believe he's already training with the senior squad, so he's being developed the right way.

There's a few other players that have potential to make something of their careers but it remains unclear whether or not they're ready for the step up just yet.

Snappy

Coach
Just been reported by Ben Ikin on Sterlo (fox sports) that Thaiday injured his calf today and will miss the game. Kennedy to start and J Wallace on the bench.

Dazzat

First Grade
Pete ... Corey Oates is the shining jewel from 2013 in terms of player development.

And it pains me to say - Lachlan Maranta is so far the jewel for 2014.

And there's so much irony around Maranta. We the fans have whined and moaned about him, but here's the truth ... Griffin has persisted with Maranta despite his obvious underachieving, game after game.

If only Griffin had enraged us the fans by persisting with other young players like Hala, Wallace, Molo, Glanville and various others. Who knows where such players would be now.

Snappy

Coach
NRL LATE MAIL

Knights v Broncos
Knights: Kade Snowden will miss the match following last week's concussion, with Adam Cuthbertson set to replace him in the 17. Jake Mamo will make his NRL debut on the wing in place of the injured Akuila Uate, despite Josh Mantellato being named in the side earlier in the week.

Broncos: Sam Thaiday is in doubt with a calf injury. Jake Granville has travelled with the squad.

http://www.nrl.com/late-mail-round-7/tabid/10874/newsid/77723/default.aspx

Kiwi

First Grade
NRL LATE MAIL

Knights v Broncos
Knights: Kade Snowden will miss the match following last week's concussion, with Adam Cuthbertson set to replace him in the 17. Jake Mamo will make his NRL debut on the wing in place of the injured Akuila Uate, despite Josh Mantellato being named in the side earlier in the week.

Broncos: Sam Thaiday is in doubt with a calf injury. Jake Granville has travelled with the squad.

http://www.nrl.com/late-mail-round-7/tabid/10874/newsid/77723/default.aspx

Sammy out = bad

Granville in = WTF McCullough has been going gangbusters for 80 minutes every game. Why not Hala or Molo? If he's looking for attacking spark from the bench add K Nikorima and actually use him and Oates

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Sammy out = bad

Granville in = WTF McCullough has been going gangbusters for 80 minutes every game. Why not Hala or Molo? If he's looking for attacking spark from the bench add K Nikorima and actually use him and Oates

Hey kiwi, I think Granville is 18th man. Wallace comes into starting 17.