What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Knights Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
Great to see Barba get some form on the board - both in attack and defence. Loved the try from the Vidot hail Mary.

I thought the three young guys - Wallace, Oates and Glanville - brought some enthusiasm to the team, and is a model for any group of people whether rugby league, another sport or any interest group: the old heads provide the stability, the young guys provide the spark and they feed off one another.

Hoffman needs to go - to replace Copely on the wing. And bring in Duncan Paia'Aua who I believe played very well in ISC.

Nightward

Juniors
Ohhh yes that was good last night.put you guys right in your spot.:cool:

Mullen the great :lol:

Just on that topic, Andrew Johns was babbling on before the game about how Mullen was ideal for Origin and that this game would be him making his best case for selection by attacking what will be most of the Origin pack from Queensland (McGuire, Gillett, Parker, and Thaiday had he played).

I hope Daley and company were listening, because based on how well Mullen went he'd be great for us at Origin time alongside Pearce. A stifled attack and an inept kicking game? Yes, please.

Even more astounding was him being overlooked for the captaincy after Lockyer's retirement.

I strongly suspect Thaiday being given the captaincy has more to do with contractual negotiations than it does to do with his leadership abilities. Parker should absolutely have been next cab off the ranks after Lockyer retired; Glenn or maybe at the outside McCullough should be in line after Parker and Hodges finish up.

Bretto

Bench
Great to see Barba get some form on the board - both in attack and defence. Loved the try from the Vidot hail Mary.

I thought the three young guys - Wallace, Oates and Glanville - brought some enthusiasm to the team, and is a model for any group of people whether rugby league, another sport or any interest group: the old heads provide the stability, the young guys provide the spark and they feed off one another.

Hoffman needs to go - to replace Copely on the wing. And bring in Duncan Paia'Aua who I believe played very well in ISC.

It's Granville. And why get rid of Copley who's been one of our best Backs?

DeeJ

Bench
And why get rid of Copley who's been one of our best Backs?

Agreed. Dunno why people want to push someone out for Hoffman, his best position is wing, that doesn't make him the best winger.

From what I remember he wasn't very good in the air either.

Nightward

Juniors
Copley has been tolerable aside from the Titans game, but the problem is that he doesn't have the speed to be a really good winger. In this I feel most of the criticism should go to Griffin rather than Copley since he should be in the back row, but we already have too many back rowers so he's out of position.

We would be a lot more dangerous in attack with a better winger and a better five-eighth. Moving Barba to five-eighth and shifting Hoffman to the wing or fullback and bringing Maranta back in for fullback or wing depending on where Hoffman wound up would add a bit of firepower over all.

Dazzat

First Grade
If any winger is a second rower, I'd have to say its Vidot. They guy seems fairly slow, but has great leg power, and of all our players, probably makes more ground once tackled than anyone.

Copley's best position is centre, and on the right side ... but that's taken.

AceAv

Juniors
Copley is definitely better at centre, but he can at least find his way to the try line.

We all know griffin ain't changing the side next week. Best we can hope for is kahu back at wing

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
Copley is definitely better at centre, but he can at least find his way to the try line.

We all know griffin ain't changing the side next week. Best we can hope for is kahu back at wing

Agreed Copley is better at centre. Now I'm going to put something out there it maybe crazy.

What if you brought back maranta to wing, moved Copley to centre, hodges to 5/8, Hoffman to fullback and barba to bench? Or Hoffman to wing barba says at fullback and drop vidot?

Country Bronco

Juniors
That was crazy!!! We just better off keeping with same team. How often were we exposed for speed on the right hand side against the knights?

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes, raw speed - that's something you couldn't accuse Brisbane of having for several seasons. The last true speedster at the club was probably Leon Bott.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Yes, raw speed - that's something you couldn't accuse Brisbane of having for several seasons. The last true speedster at the club was probably Leon Bott.

Whenever i see us make break my first thought is that we will have a few good attacking plays and never that were about to score from 70/80/90 meters out, such a shame.

Always thought Barba had a good deal of pace but the way Albert Kelly ran him down dissolved that, could still be the injury though.

Bretto

Bench
You'll only find probably 2 players in the NRL who are faster than Albert Kelly - Shaun Johnson and maybe Kevin Gordon/David Mead. Kelly had a meter start on Barba when chasing that ball and he lost maybe a meter over 40 meters before he gave up the chase. Remember he's still carrying a slight ankle injury too.

Kiwi

First Grade
Agreed Copley is better at centre. Now I'm going to put something out there it maybe crazy.

What if you brought back maranta to wing, moved Copley to centre, hodges to 5/8, Hoffman to fullback and barba to bench? Or Hoffman to wing barba says at fullback and drop vidot?

Drop Vidot WTF? The guy has been our best winger, his kick returns and ability to help the forwards early in sets is great and has made a real difference this year.

Dazzat

First Grade
The prospect of Kahu coming back does raise some issues. Just about everyone on this forum agrees that Hoffman is handicapping our attack. Kahu is said to be a more natural ball player and can kick.

If Kahu comes in, who do you drop? Reid? Copley? Vidot?

Bretto

Bench
The prospect of Kahu coming back does raise some issues. Just about everyone on this forum agrees that Hoffman is handicapping our attack. Kahu is said to be a more natural ball player and can kick.

If Kahu comes in, who do you drop? Reid? Copley? Vidot?

It's a tough one for sure.

Personally, I'd drop Reed.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Kahu
7. Hunt

It'd also mean Vidot and Hoffman would need to change sides because Hoffman is much better on the left.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Drop Vidot WTF? The guy has been our best winger, his kick returns and ability to help the forwards early in sets is great and has made a real difference this year.

I was only throwing around crazy suggestions. Then I posted again and said keep the team the same.

You're right about vidot.

Perhaps we could also drop Copley and bring in maranta? If people think copley speed is such a disadvantage. Keep in mind on only floating ideas not my opinion.

Dazzat

First Grade
I think Vidot would be valuable on the bench as a forward. Maybe drop him to bench.

u4er

Juniors
Reed will pretty much never be dropped. Griffin is not the type of coach to drop international players. Kahu will come back from the bench, probably interchanging with Copley or Maranta. That's the path of least resistance as Hoffman will get his knickers in a twist if he's not getting 80mins to pretend to be a 5/8.