What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Knights Discussion + Voting

Leagueaddict

Juniors
WTF is it with the grand Griffin plan with Hoffman? Surely if it's a repeat performance tonight of past failures the guys gotta be slotted in the wing or fullback. Hoffman puts his all into every game but he's no 5/8 but who knows tonight might be "the night". Really hoping Barba puts in a strong one, makes a few breaks but can see every side peppering him with mile high bombs. And let's hope the interchange bench causes some headaches for the opposition as well. Glad to hear Uate is out.
Come on Broncs give 'em Heaps!

Spot On

Coach
For some reason Newcastle's game plan does not include towering bombs to the fullback for some reason. I'm hoping that changes tonight.

As far as Uate is concerned, I'm not too sure if that is an advantage for Brissy or Newy????? Spose we'll see after the game.

Maroon4life

Juniors
WTF is it with the grand Griffin plan with Hoffman? Surely if it's a repeat performance tonight of past failures the guys gotta be slotted in the wing or fullback. Hoffman puts his all into every game but he's no 5/8 but who knows tonight might be "the night". Really hoping Barba puts in a strong one, makes a few breaks but can see every side peppering him with mile high bombs. And let's hope the interchange bench causes some headaches for the opposition as well. Glad to hear Uate is out.
Come on Broncs give 'em Heaps!

What are you hoping too see? There will be no miracles or comming of age with Hoffman and the #6 jersey, he is purely placeholding for Milford and manipulated Griffin into giving him the position over someone who has a more deserving claim.

Don't want to play wing? Cya.

Take Griffin with ya.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
What are you hoping too see? There will be no miracles or comming of age with Hoffman and the #6 jersey, he is purely placeholding for Milford and manipulated Griffin into giving him the position over someone who has a more deserving claim.

Don't want to play wing? Cya.

Take Griffin with ya.

FA from Hoffman in the 5/8th role but surprise me.:)

DeeJ

Bench
Good game tonight, closed the Knights out with their defence. Attack was great (except when it went to Hoffman) and Hunt was really impressive in the second half. He's shown the ability to play what's in front of him and now he is doing the 90% stuff well. Good to see Barba get back in form.

3. Parker
2. Hunt
1. Barba

Also thought Granville kept the Knights on the backfoot in his 10 minutes, he could have an impact like Craig Wing.

Someone do a Tonya Harding to Hoffman.

Nightward

Juniors
Well, that was a substantially better performance against a highly motivated Knights squad. That young winger they had in for Uate looks like he has some promise, and the Broncos did well to hold them out defensively during the first half with that weight of possession. Avoiding the final quarter fade-out was good to see too.

Kennedy wasn't completely useless this time and actually played with some passion, but I still believe we would be better off with Hala instead. Hannant had a solid game and for the first time in a long time looked like he really wanted to be there; his strength is playing the Webcke-like game; nothing spectacular, just doing everything to perfection and turning up play after play, so with two games like thatunder his belt now hopefully he can return to some form.

Granville was good in his limited time, but I hope Griffin doesn't go back to his rotating hooker policy. McCullough can play 80 minutes and should be out there the whole time. Perhaps if the stars align we may see him partnering Hunt in the halves with Hoffman replacing Copley on the wing.

Barba visibly grew in confidence after that pass to Gillett. Still not back to his best, but he was willing to back himself in attack and defence a lot more than he has this season so far.

Hoffman was the let-down this time; he made a good break and we should have scored from it. Hunt was screaming and gesturing for him to pass to the left because Mullen had him covered... so of course Hoffman passed to the right and the points went begging. Not crucial in terms of the result, but a deficiency in his game vision and passing skills. He definitely needs to be on the wing.

3. Parker
1. McCullough
1. McGuire
1. Hunt

Nerd

Bench
Great game. Hoffman gives his all at 5/8 but surely there is someone else in the squad who can play in the halves.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Best game of the season. We were excellent in defence and always looked dangerous in attack. If we got our fair share of possession and the reffing was a bit better we really could have put a big score on them.

3. McGuire
2. McCullough
1. Hunt

Parker always massive as per usual. Pretty good game by everyone really. I thought Oates made a difference when he came on, made some strong runs and some very nice offloads. Need to have him in the 17. I know McCullough has been in career best form this year and is capable of playing 80 but gee it was nice seeing Granville making some great metres. I think we having been missing an impact player like him on our bench.

The only downside is again Hoffman at #6. Was comical watching him pass straight to the ground in the 2nd half. Actually it's pretty embarrassing watching him play 6, clearly he is not cut out for it, and most of fans knew this even before the season started. Unfortunately this well get overlooked due to the big win (and the fact that Griffin is coach).

ranga68

Juniors
Hodges had a few missed tackles tonight. But had a couple of nice touches. Wallace had more of an impact than Kennedy.
I thought they should of started with hannant over Kennedy. Oates needs more time in the game. Reed actually passed the ball and they got results.
McGuire had a lot of first receiver touches tonight. Parker kicked like shit tonight also.
3. McGuire
2. Hunt
1. vidot

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Great win built on awesome defence.
Hoffman still killour attack but this win wk see him in the 6 for a while now so may as well get used to it.
How bad was hadleys call!?!?!?

AceAv

Juniors
f**kyeh -that was an awesome game from the boys. Really showed they could bounce back from a real poor last couple games. It was clear they wanted to win it tonight and I'm proud of how they stayed cool under pressure when NC was throwing everything at us. We copped some penalties that were unavoidable, but did well to back ourselves and take our advantages when we had them.

Our attack was good. Barba surprised me with his involvement and finally produced some great plays that lead to am couple exciting tries. Saved a few as well and I really hope it snowballs. That 77th minute injury looked scary tho.

Not sure what happened to Thaiday -assuming he hurt himself at training, but we got our wish with the Kennedy start and it worked for mine.

Macca had another sizzler and earned a great break to let Granville show off his wonderful talent. I'm liking this kid a lot, so yeah hope to see him more.

Glenn did well and I hope silenced the critics again. He's very good at quick play the balls, strong shut-em-down tackles and is always making meters.

Super impressed with Wallace and Oates. Offloads got us some real rolls on and special mention to Parker who had a soft night with the boot, but found his offload again and made the tough meters.

I was ok with Hoffman for 75% of the time. He is a running 5/8 that has improved on defense and is still learning when it comes to vision and quick decisions.

Hodges was shut down a little, but all u need from him is that flick pass and a great run from Copley to find the line. Vidot and Reed also did well against a real talent with that nc#20 kid.

We capitalised well on our strengths tonight -which was to play with strong defense & composure and make the most of our opportunities when they present themselves. Griffin did the interchanges we'll tonight I thought and obviously worked hard on the weaknesses that lost us the last 2 games. -We certainly aren't a team like manly who can pull 3 tries out of their arse in 10 minutes.

But we are good and building a strong 80 minute game and either running away with it in the final quarter or (hopefully) grind it out when we get in front to snatch the victory -something that I'm confident we can do bar the roosters/eels game

Last edited:

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Great game in defense again last night. The Knights just about had all possession threatening our line in the first 20 minutes . Our forwards even interchange all did us proud with Hannant having some impact as well. Hogman still a worry in the no. 6 but with Barba showing some form and a strong win under our belt as said here, Griffin won't be in any hurry to change. Like to see Hala back out there though. Thought Gillett, Glenn, Copley, Reed all had strong games and great to see Hunt improving from week to week. Really impressed with Granville as we need someone else quick outta dummy half besides McCullough who does more than his fair share not to mention a sh**load of tackles.
Up against the big men next week so hopefully it's rabbit stew for Anzac day.

Big Pete

Referee
Best performance in some time.

Brisbane won it on the back of their resilience. Newcastle did a great job of controlling the territory but couldn't take advantage and the boys made them pay with their limited opportunities.

Plenty of highlights but if I had to choose, I really enjoyed the Barba try. Good piece of skill from Vidot and a smart heads up play from Jack Reed to remind the doubters of what he's capable of.

3. Gillett
2. Parker
1. McGuire

On blooding rookies - Maranta wasn't considered a pet project, rather he was selected out of necessity due to the limited depth out wide. While there's definitely been examples where Hook could have and maybe even should have blooded I think there's always been a fair argument in a lot of cases.

For instance, with Hala, Hook has generally brought him into the side and stuck with him but the guy just can't stay on the field long enough. With the exception of 2011, I believe he's ended the season with some major injury and it's always affected his pre-season one way or another.

isaiah

Bench
almost the perfect 80 minutes of footy! i think parker is challenging as the best player in the game. i mean in the whole game, worldwide. not just best forward, best player. imo, his emergence last year as a rep regular was a big factor in the 8th series in a row. before last year, i thought he was a very good club player and a handy qld reserve.
reed surprised me with the forward hitups. i thought the best 4 were parker, hunt, barba, and glenn.

Spot On

Coach
It astounds me Corey Parker was not one of the first players chosen for QLD years ago. Even more astounding was him being overlooked for the captaincy after Lockyer's retirement.

Country Bronco

Juniors
What a difference a week makes? Hold that thought. Keep it in context. Sure the win over Newcastle was pleasing to see. What about all the negatives you folk were talking about last week and the week before. For mine give it a few more weeks before getting into the idea that this team has turned the corner.

3 Parker
2 hunt
1 Kennedy

Latest posts