What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Melbourne Storm Discussion + Voting

1qaz

Juniors
So is anyone still on the Maranta was going to be a better player than Gagai bandwagon :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Whitchurch was terrible in all his other duties and from all reports has been terrible in the backline since his terrible game for the Dolphins in the 2012 Grand Final. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Jumping for bombs isn't the only concern for Kahu at fullback. I'm more concerned about the amount of running he'd have to do and how busy he'd have to be.

unbreaK

Juniors
Whitchurch was terrible in all his other duties and from all reports has been terrible in the backline since his terrible game for the Dolphins in the 2012 Grand Final. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Jumping for bombs isn't the only concern for Kahu at fullback. I'm more concerned about the amount of running he'd have to do and how busy he'd have to be.

You sure you aren't talking about Maranta?

Dazzat

First Grade
Without Origin players for the game against the Sharks ... its going to get ugly. Reed, more than likely, will also be out:

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Kahu
4. Whitchurch (who else is there?)
5. Berryman
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. Hannant (one positive development)
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Oates
12. Dodds
13. Glenn

14. Baptiste
15. Hala
16. Wallace
17. Stagg/Slyney

Dazzat

First Grade
The best thing the coach could do is just write this year off in terms of final eight, and blood some under 20 players.

ranga68

Juniors
I cant see why everyone thinks hodges played so well. to many mistakes for Origin player. His defence is not much better than princes or maranta. takes the intercept and couldn't out run anyone nor maranta. backline lacks speed and cohesion. Need new leaders in the team due to senior player group at the moment being shit apart from parker.
3 McGuire nearly 60 tackles big minutes
2 parker
1 glen

PM Lockyer

Juniors
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet.....

Geez Maranta was terrible! We lack so many things in this team, so hard to watch.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Please bring in someone for Maranta, I don't even care if they're worse, I just want to yell at someone else for a while...

God knows why Parker isn't captain, you can see it means more to him then the rest of them.

Looking across our squad its so depressing, I can't even think of many changes that would make us a better team. Obvious one is Baptiste straight in for McCullough, other than that I'm empty :(

Chainshada

Juniors
1 - Hoffman
2 - Kahu
3 - Reed
4 - Hodges
5 - Kemp
6 - Wallace
7 - Hunt
8 - Hannant
9 - Macca
10 - Tasi
11 - Gillett
12 - Thaiday
13 - Parker

14 - Baptiste
15 - Glenn
16 - McGuire
17 - Hala

If Macca/Baptiste can be trained to always be prepared for Parker's offloads, and Hoffman is trained to run in support instead of focusing his fullback role as speeding back on kick returns.

Concerns over Kahu's jumping can be alleviated by pairing him with Reed, who likes to jump for bombs himself.

Thaiday and Glenn back to running lines instead of being battering rams. Keep 1 workhorse prop (Hannant/McGuire) and 1 impact prop (Tasi/Hala) on the field.

Might not work immediately, but I think that'd be a hell of a lot better than banging our heads against a brick wall all year.

inside_pass

Bench
Everyone knew the Broncos would struggle after Lockyer retired!You very rarely replace a player like that straight away.
He carried the whole team,not just Wallace.Whenever Lockyer was shut down or kept quiet the broncos rarely won.
The Cowboys have the same problem with Thurston,shut him down and you virtually win the game.
Good luck for the rest of the season.............at least you are doing better than my Dragons,we are terrible under Price!

AceAv

Juniors
Surely price and griffin are likely to get the axe.

I just found myself laughing tonight. Seasons long gone and we will always be bottom of the barrel with prince & wal.

Tonight showed a lot of what we are doing wrong and compared our abilities to the top 4 standard.

We can't execute, we have little to no x factor, or halves are virtually incapable of creating structured plays that come off.
Our coach is far to loyal to the players that are slumping in form and is snubbing the deserving players trying desperately to make the team. Our captain turns up one week and is non existent the next. Our defence is unaggresive and there's always 2-3 players lapsing in each set. We have no speed and absolutely no belief that we are a premiership side.

I'm optimistic for 2014, but we've now had 2 years of punishment from broncos staff that have been guessing on what a winning formula should be. So I'll expect big changes and it starts with our spine...

Bretto

Bench
How much worse could it get than if we were to just drop Norman, Prince and Wallace, and put in a few kids who really deserve a shot? What's gonna happen? We get beaten by 30?... Oh wait.

Maranta did my head in last night. He just cannot finish a try to save himself. Our halves too have to be the worst halves pairing in the comp? Name me a worse halves pairing on form. Getting tackled on the 5th multiple times. Attacking kicks inside the opposition 30 going dead constantly. Poor passes to outside backs. No speed. It's sickening.

At this point, we all know we're not going to make the 8. I think we're like 13th or something now? We'd need to win about 8 of our last 10 or 11 games to make the 8, and a the moment, it doesn't even look like we could win a chook raffle when we had all tickets.

So, with the season all but gone, as others have said, blood some new players. Put people in their positions they're going to be in next year. Put Hunt at Halfback. Do something. The season is gone. Attempting the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result - I think there's a definition for that.

user_nat

Coach
I'm not sure I get the hate for Norman. Hasn't been that bad IMO, which is saying something cause I hated him last year. Plus we already have a lack of backs.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Please bring in someone for Maranta, I don't even care if they're worse, I just want to yell at someone else for a while...

God knows why Parker isn't captain, you can see it means more to him then the rest of them.

Looking across our squad its so depressing, I can't even think of many changes that would make us a better team. Obvious one is Baptiste straight in for McCullough, other than that I'm empty :(

The team needs an entire makeover.

Need a new fullback. Keep Hoffman on the wing.

Need a new halfback. Wallace should have made the move to hooker years ago. His contract can't be renewed.

I think we should make the call now on McCullouch and let him go, I don't see enough progression to retain him for another 10 years, we'd end up regretting it. So, we need a new hooker.

Need a new five eight. Prince doesn't have the talent anymore to play in a professional NRL side.

Make the call on Reed. He's either on the bench as a back rower or he is out of the squad. This team has no agility or speed out wide, we need some.

Yow Yeh is back, but by the time he gets back we will probably we swan songing Hodges, another huge problem to deal with so were on the lookout for another talented back on the right.

Get another prop to run on with Hannant, put Mcguire back on the bench to rotate.

This current broncos side is one of the worst in the competition. The way it has slowly decayed over the years (even when we still had lockyer we were on a downward slope with recruitment) some people need to answer for it and have them answer for it with their jobs. This is why i don't pay money to any sporting clubs for membership.

unbreaK

Juniors
The team needs an entire makeover. - Agreed

Need a new fullback. Keep Hoffman on the wing. - Agreed

Need a new halfback. Wallace should have made the move to hooker years ago. His contract can't be renewed. - Agreed

I think we should make the call now on McCullouch and let him go, I don't see enough progression to retain him for another 10 years, we'd end up regretting it. So, we need a new hooker. - As long as the new hooker is Baptiste - Agreed

Need a new five eight. Prince doesn't have the talent anymore to play in a professional NRL side. - Agreed

Make the call on Reed. He's either on the bench as a back rower or he is out of the squad. This team has no agility or speed out wide, we need some. - Disagreed - Reed has been close to the only one putting in 100% every week, his combination with Hoffman on the left will be dangerous for years to come.

Yow Yeh is back, but by the time he gets back we will probably we swan songing Hodges, another huge problem to deal with so were on the lookout for another talented back on the right. - Disagreed - He'll be back next year, Hodges still has a couple of useful years in him, hopefully.

Get another prop to run on with Hannant, put Mcguire back on the bench to rotate. - Agreed

This current broncos side is one of the worst in the competition. The way it has slowly decayed over the years (even when we still had lockyer we were on a downward slope with recruitment) some people need to answer for it and have them answer for it with their jobs. This is why i don't pay money to any sporting clubs for membership. - Agreed

Maroon4life

Juniors
I'm a fan of Reed as well don't get me wrong. I'd just prefer we invested our time and money into a new centre that has some natural ability and speed to go with it, god knows our team needs some. I'd still like to see Reed playing, just off the bench.

Hodges has all but confirmed this is his last SOO. Won't be at all surprised if next year he calls it quits. he's 32 next year and all his injuries, seems likely & I think the broncos should make a business decision and not resign him, heartless and all, but it would be the right move.. Should get another year with Yow Yeh and possibly he can take over centre, will wait to be seen.

Last edited:

Snoochies

First Grade
You better hope Kearney is not next in line if Griffin gets punted. It doesn't turn out too well.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
They keep putting up decent performances just often enough (once a month) to keep the board from losing complete faith in Griffin but any fool can see he needs to go. I'm not saying he's the only one who does but it starts with him. He and too many players seem to be above performance based appraisal. Not sure what is keeping him in the job but I'd like to know before I renew my membership next year.

3 McGuire
2 Parker
1 Oates - Did an admirable job in a very tough initiation. Liek what I saw but he never should have been there. All 20s grads need 2 years in reserve grade. One and a half if they're exceptional.

Six out of eight aint unheard of!

Latest posts