What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

ozbuck

Juniors
Did you think if both teams had SOO players that this would be the same score or even the same kind of game?

This game felt like it was a trial.

There was very soft tries, especially the one just before half time.

It was anyone's game up until the last 14mins... And to be honest we looked the team with the most energy until that scored twice in a row. After that it was over.

nontime111

Juniors
gutsy heroic loss with a LOT Of VERY good things to come out of it I do not feel too bad
we learned that NENE is one of the best most skillful consistent brilliant wingers in the game, Luc is a GUN and should be in the 17 always, Aitken HAS a pass and is a monster one of the best centres in the game
Lawrie is up to it, so is Sele the kids are looking good and Nichols is a great back up half
Graham never gives in massive effort fellas honourable mentions to Dufty and Mann who tried their guts out , only dissapointment was for poor Host I think him getting injured made the difference along with the first 2 Melbourne tries being freakishly scored by luck with kicks...good signs dont drop your bundle

mickeylane

Bench
Again dont like bagging players but i can see why Nichols took 29 years to play NRL...for a halfback he hid for 80 minutes! Shit himself royally!
instead of taking the game by the scruff of the neck he decided to hide for 80 minutes...zero contribution!!
should have played Field - at least the f**ker can attack! anyhow just need to bounce back next week ..

ozbuck

Juniors
Really?
5-10 minutes off the bench is not playing almost a full game in the middle.
Plus if you’ve got him there to play that role, what was the point in sitting the reserve hooker beside him?

Not sure about the hooker. Perhaps there was a plan to have quicker plays around the ruck later in the match. ...unfortunately we got burned by some soft tries and we fell in a heap.

There was doubt we had the better energy until they scored the try to finally go ahead again.

Bench
Shows we are light on with forwards coming through. As Fox said Bellamy said at half time to attack Nightingale, which they did and scored three tries down his side.
I think that he was yanked off towards the end but came back for the last five minutes.
Our defence was pretty soft in the middle and please Coach tell Dufty don’t let the ball bounce. Attack it and collect it on the full.
We missed the experience of our SOO forwards and it showed.
We need to go after at least two props for next season. None of the youngsters appear to be anything special.
The bench selection was a joke should have gone with four forwards.
Nightingale should not been on the bench anymore. He is not a forward

True_Believer

Juniors
Really?
5-10 minutes off the bench is not playing almost a full game in the middle.
Plus if you’ve got him there to play that role, what was the point in sitting the reserve hooker beside him?

I don’t think it really mattered who we had on the bench. We had a heap of tired players on the field at the end there, we lost Host early which meant the bench had to do additional work. To add to that the pretty much had their full forward compliment - was always going to be tough to contain them for the full 80.

Pretty happy with some of that attack though. Was pretty easy to get across the line. A lot easier than Melbourne in the first 60.

gutsy heroic loss with a LOT Of VERY good things to come out of it I do not feel too bad
we learned that NENE is one of the best most skillful consistent brilliant wingers in the game, Luc is a GUN and should be in the 17 always, Aitken HAS a pass and is a monster one of the best centres in the game
Lawrie is up to it, so is Sele the kids are looking good and Nichols is a great back up half
Graham never gives in massive effort fellas honourable mentions to Dufty and Mann who tried their guts out , only dissapointment was for poor Host I think him getting injured made the difference along with the first 2 Melbourne tries being freakishly scored by luck with kicks...good signs dont drop your bundle
I seriously want to know what Leilua did in that game.
Was it the continuous turning his back in defence?
The constant falling off tackles?
The lack of real hard running?
Or just the general laziness in all aspects of the game?

ozbuck

Juniors
I'll just forget this game was even played ..... Don't know what to make out of it .....

Exactly. If we play again in the finals do you think it'll resemble 5% of this game? Nahhh

This just felt like a joke to watch haha fun and exciting but I couldn't take it seriously

Dragsters

First Grade
Not sure how many wingers ever would have made 40 plus tackles in the back row when the coach asks him to play 70 minutes there.

At least now we know there is one.

Jason Nightingale, what a Herculean effort for a bloke his size...

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Did you think if both teams had SOO players that this would be the same score or even the same kind of game?

This game felt like it was a trial.

There was very soft tries, especially the one just before half time.

It was anyone's game up until the last 14mins... And to be honest we looked the team with the most energy until that scored twice in a row. After that it was over.
Agree it felt like a trial, just need to put that one behind us asap.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
A couple of learnings from tonight's game

Host is our best young forward unfortunately got injured early

There is a reason Nichols has never played first grade before

When Leeson goes we need to add another hard head forward

4 of our starting pack not playing and that's our strength

Write this one off and move on to next round

Shows we are light on with forwards coming through. As Fox said Bellamy said at half time to attack Nightingale, which they did and scored three tries down his side.
I think that he was yanked off towards the end but came back for the last five minutes.
Our defence was pretty soft in the middle and please Coach tell Dufty don’t let the ball bounce. Attack it and collect it on the full.
We missed the experience of our SOO forwards and it showed.
We need to go after at least two props for next season. None of the youngsters appear to be anything special.
The bench selection was a joke should have gone with four forwards.
Nightingale should not been on the bench anymore. He is not a forward
I like Lawrie, I like Host, Luc I could do with out, and as I said I think Sele is just too damn small for a run on side, he a bench reserve at best.

Not sure how many wingers ever would have made 40 plus tackles in the back row when the coach asks him to play 70 minutes there.

At least now we know there is one.

Jason Nightingale, what a Herculean effort for a bloke his size...
It was a great effort.
But Bellemy spotted he was running out of steam and sent all thier second half attack his way, scoring three tries straight through him.
If Bellemy could see it, why couldn’t Mary?

Crush

Coach
I'll just forget this game was even played ..... Don't know what to make out of it .....
Don't forget it.
The Dragons played very well and were in that game until the 65th minute.
Cameron Smith proved why he is the best player to play the game and won the game for them without our origin boys. They beat us by 20 at home. Well done to them. We played well though all things considered.
Next week against tigers we will put on a display.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes it was a shocking scoreline in the end , however i agree that the team showed plenty of heart , moreso the younger players . The Storm is tried and tested in this type of football , the type that they cut their teeth on .

In short - there is no shame in the Dragons performance tonight , they were always going to be up against it down there at AAMI park . The referee didnt help matters niether , seem to be all purple & black to me . No excuses other than that , move on as i do believe that on that showing tonight the Dragons will be in this premiership for the long ride !

SET2JT

Juniors
Game was like a under 20s. Everytime any of the sides got in the attacking 20 they scored.