What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Broncos

Bred not Bought

Juniors
After last week I am happy with the win.

A 5-day turnaround for some of our players. A feral Home crowd, the rain, and an obstinate opponent. We played well to overcome all that. Still further improvement to come, but right now its just banking wins.

As usual I though To'o was outstanding. Now moved up to 5th place for all-time Panthers try-scorers.
Luai was great. As was Yeo.
The whole pack was outstanding. Leota and Fish gradually getting better as the year progresses. Martin rising to the challenge. Good output from the bench.

Hopefully we get through the origin period unscathed. Then we can starting building for the run home.

Girds89

Bench
Mate we had half of the NSW Origin spine and Yeo who plays like a 7 in the side. Lets not pretend we ran out a NSW Cup team last night or against the Knights.

Yes we had a lot of good players in last night. Yeo plays like the best 13 ive seen in my time. Good ball distribution but we sorely missing naths kicking game.

The thing for me is the team has been chopped and changed a lot due to outs and origin all year so its hard to get those combos going if its different every week.

Look at other sides that have struggled with there main 7 or play maker out. Brisbane. Parra. Knights have nothing without ponga.

I said a few weeks back every year over the last 4 years gas sort of been a bit different in terms of how weve gone about it.

Im confident if we are fit towards the end of the year ivan will have the boys firing in attack and defence

maple_69

Bench
Was Turuva injured or dropped for this one? I’d be keen to see Tago given a couple weeks defending between To’o and Cleary after the bye with Alamoti and Cole/Laurie on the other side. If Tago doesn’t improve with those guys and Cole/Laurie look good we need to pull the trigger on dumping Tago.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Was Turuva injured or dropped for this one? I’d be keen to see Tago given a couple weeks defending between To’o and Cleary after the bye with Alamoti and Cole/Laurie on the other side. If Tago doesn’t improve with those guys and Cole/Laurie look good we need to pull the trigger on dumping Tago.
It's starting to get late in the season.

The Realist

Juniors
In my opinion suggestions around dropping Tago is just madness. He is our best centre. We really don’t have any other options at this point in time. Certainly not in an attacking sense.

Agree with this. We just don't have the luxury of playing around with the position especially now with May becoming unavailable then not being with us anymore.

Kilkenny

Coach
Agree with this. We just don't have the luxury of playing around with the position especially now with May becoming unavailable then not being with us anymore.
Jack Cole has been very good defensively but let’s be realistic here he is never going to threaten the defensive line in attack.

Going forward this season, injuries aside, our back four is To’o, Alamoti, Tago and Turuva. That is it, that’s the best we can currently offer. Certainly not the best back four compared to other sides, but it actually is the best we have currently.

The Realist

Juniors
I’d agree if he didn’t rack up so many metres from FB. He can certainly handle that aspect.

He’s good in the air and he’s fast.

Edge defence is the only real unknown with him on the wing.

I personally think he’s strong points are wasted on the wing and we have better options, but I certainly can’t see any reason for all the fuss being made about it.

In the past any decent fullback would make a good winger. Not anymore. Laurie is not the right body type.

These days wingers either need to be relatively tall and quick, or they need to be nuggety power runners in the style of Mansour/To'o or a Greg Marzhew for the Knights.

Laurie is neither and he doesn't have the durability to try being the 2nd type - especially that Pantherball requires.

Yes Laurie can make huge metres at fullback....but they are from being evasive, not powerful.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
So with Nathan back we'll need to cover his hammy. So is Cole or Laurie our best 14? Heading into the finals I'd personally trust Coles defence more in the middle if forced to play in there.

Need Garner for too his ability to cover centre is massive.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
In my opinion suggestions around dropping Tago is just madness. He is our best centre. We really don’t have any other options at this point in time. Certainly not in an attacking sense.

I totally agree. Tago had his best game last night in the past couple of months.

I believe he's turned the corner.

I think May moving on, will help him moving forward.