What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Broncos

Frankus

Juniors
Walsh isn’t all rocks and diamonds. I strongly dislike the little merkin. But there is absolutely no denying the fact he is one of the best fullbacks in the competition. On his best day there has barely been a better attacking threat in the game. He is like Hayne on Parra’s run to the ‘09 GF, simply fantastic.

The Broncos aren’t paying him for his defensive prowess. They know what they are getting - a kid that can break the game wide open from next to nothing. His ability to deliver a pinpoint pass at top speed when chiming into the backline is as good as any fullback I’ve ever seen - he was doing it at the Warriors when he was 18/19.

If he wasn’t needing to play halfback, 5/8th and fullback against us on Friday night and was able to choose his moments, then it may have been a different game. He certainly tried a little too hard but no one else, especially Mam, stepped into the batter’s box when asked.

If anyone from the Broncos is overrated it’s Mam. He has done absolutely nothing this year since Reynolds went down injured.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Walsh isn’t all rocks and diamonds. I strongly dislike the little merkin. But there is absolutely no denying the fact he is one of the best fullbacks in the competition. On his best day there has barely been a better attacking threat in the game. He is like Hayne on Parra’s run to the ‘09 GF, simply fantastic.

The Broncos aren’t paying him for his defensive prowess. They know what they are getting - a kid that can break the game wide open from next to nothing. His ability to deliver a pinpoint pass at top speed when chiming into the backline is as good as any fullback I’ve ever seen - he was doing it at the Warriors when he was 18/19.

If he wasn’t needing to play halfback, 5/8th and fullback against us on Friday night and was able to choose his moments, then it may have been a different game. He certainly tried a little too hard but no one else, especially Mam, stepped into the batter’s box when asked.

If anyone from the Broncos is overrated it’s Mam. He has done absolutely nothing this year since Reynolds went down injured.

The only problem is that FB is by far and away the most important defensive position.

Girds89

Bench

Pretty much my thoughts..

Disagree re Mam though. I hate him. Think hes a bit of a sook..gets up having a sook all the time... but i think hes another really special player. He plays hard and trys to inspire them with big plays in defence.

I get ppl see the negatives in walshs game but hes 21..there really aremt to many blokes at that age that are elite defensive players.

I mean if you look at walsh.. he has billy slater levels of running game. He has elite level half quality passing game. His lomg kicking game is above average for halfs not even fbs.. his short kicking game is elite.

Hes a tough little bugger.

Just needs to work on his positioning at the back in defence. He gets caught in the line to often out of position.

The thing with that is it can be taught and learned, through experience and coaching..

You cant teach a kid to run like he does, to have his speed and vision and creativity..thats just not something you can coach.. hes naturally gifted and a special player.

Theres parts of his game that no doubt need work but ill say this..when he has the ball in hand teams and supporters are nervous.. he can shred even the best of sides.

Frankus

Juniors
The only problem is that FB is by far and away the most important defensive position.
I agree. It is easy to overlook the tries he has saved because of the ones he misses. As I said I hate the little prick. But he is light years ahead of other highly rated fullbacks like the Hammer defensively in my opinion.

Dylan Edwards has developed into possibly the best defensive fullback I have personally ever seen, his positioning is unmatched and his ability to organise a defensive line is second to none.

Girds89

Bench
I agree. It is easy to overlook the tries he has saved because of the ones he misses. As I said I hate the little prick. But he is light years ahead of other highly rated fullbacks like the Hammer defensively in my opinion.

Dylan Edwards has developed into possibly the best defensive fullback I have personally ever seen, his positioning is unmatched and his ability to organise a defensive line is second to none.

Dylan is the best defensive fb ive ever seen.

Ive said for years and years. His work off the ball is 2nd to none. How often do you seem him make a try saver on our line in the 60th odd minute in one corner on the 4th and gassed out of all hell he turns up on the other side of the field literally next tackle to clean up a kick or save another try.

Its quite incredible. I still dont think people appreciate how special he is.

Imo he will go down with the Yeos, gowers, brandys, clearys as the greatest panthers of all time.

Yes hes not an attacking superstar..but our last 4 gfs and 3 wins have been on the back of defence. Its a team game but theres one bloke who is largely responsible for that.

His organisation at the back
Being the fittest bloke in the comp
His sheer desire to win
His willingness to take the tough carries out of our end..

Hes literally just a machine.

Throw into that hes attacking game has improved hugely over the last few years..

Everyone talks about yeo and nathan.. our team wouldnt have done what its done or be where it would be without dylan. Take him out of the picture and it just doesmt work.

He epitomises Panthers ball more than any other player in our team.. not the mlst flashy or skillful but in terms of hard work and doing whatever it takes to win for the team hes the man.

Pretty much my thoughts..

Disagree re Mam though. I hate him. Think hes a bit of a sook..gets up having a sook all the time... but i think hes another really special player. He plays hard and trys to inspire them with big plays in defence.

I get ppl see the negatives in walshs game but hes 21..there really aremt to many blokes at that age that are elite defensive players.

I mean if you look at walsh.. he has billy slater levels of running game. He has elite level half quality passing game. His lomg kicking game is above average for halfs not even fbs.. his short kicking game is elite.

Hes a tough little bugger.

Just needs to work on his positioning at the back in defence. He gets caught in the line to often out of position.

The thing with that is it can be taught and learned, through experience and coaching..

You cant teach a kid to run like he does, to have his speed and vision and creativity..thats just not something you can coach.. hes naturally gifted and a special player.

Theres parts of his game that no doubt need work but ill say this..when he has the ball in hand teams and supporters are nervous.. he can shred even the best of sides.

Mam is softer than a roll of 3-ply sorbent toilet paper. Someone calls him names and he’s been rattled ever since. He simply hasn’t produced anything near the 10-minute flurry from last year’s GF.

Girds89

Bench
Mam is softer than a roll of 3-ply sorbent toilet paper. Someone calls him names and he’s been rattled ever since. He simply hasn’t produced anything near the 10-minute flurry from last year’s GF.

Disagree. Man he hits hard. Hes tough..

Hes agood player.

Brisbane are going to have to use players outside of their top 30 this week...

Any team and i mean any team thats using a 4th or 5th string half..has missed walsh so their best player half theyear will struggle.

Throw in theyve had a lot of other injuries etc.

Make no mistake if they can get back to full strength post origin they will be a force. Mam is a very good footy player.

Very hard to produce when your teams chopped and chamged every week with different players that arent up to it.

Thats why ive said that its pretty awesome what weve done.

People have been soo critical of our defence and attack...

But weve had a lot of outs and origin disruptions this year.. and to be 2 points from 1st is extrmley impressive.

Agree to disagree mate. Mam had his chance to prove his credentials in such an important game for him and his side on Friday night and did absolutely nothing.

Girds89

Bench
And to think that 10 minutes would have made him a Clive Churchill Medallist!

Like walsh he is 21 years old.

Hes a huge huge talent.
Anyone that doubts that is silly..

His 20mins in the gf was epic..he literally was incredible as a 20yo. Yes hes had a rough year but thats largely just due to the broncs being massively affected by injuries.

He will be munsters replacement for qld in a few years and has a huge future.

I thought he tried super hard on friday night..it wasmt happening for them in attack so he went at us in defemce.. he is a real competitor.

People rave about players like cole etc.

Mam was a million times ahead of where cole was at the same age.

Do people remember what nathan was like as a 20yo haha?

Many on here werent convinved he was a 7 and demanded he played 9.....

Now hes the best 7 in the game. Best player in the game..

Mam and walsh have huge huge futures ahead.

Like walsh he is 21 years old.

Hes a huge huge talent.
Anyone that doubts that is silly..

His 20mins in the gf was epic..he literally was incredible as a 20yo. Yes hes had a rough year but thats largely just due to the broncs being massively affected by injuries.

He will be munsters replacement for qld in a few years and has a huge future.

I thought he tried super hard on friday night..it wasmt happening for them in attack so he went at us in defemce.. he is a real competitor.

People rave about players like cole etc.

Mam was a million times ahead of where cole was at the same age.

Do people remember what nathan was like as a 20yo haha?

Many on here werent convinved he was a 7 and demanded he played 9.....

Now hes the best 7 in the game. Best player in the game..

Mam and walsh have huge huge futures ahead.
What areas is Mam improving in? I appreciate he is young but where is the growth.

compare that to Welsh. He really stood up and owned the team on Friday night. Made some mistakes yes, but went outside his comfort zone.

Iamback

Coach
Look at team Broncos named against GC, They should of won that on paper.

They also lost 34-32 v Storm, Defence is horrible so it isn't just injuries they just aren't very good

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mam and Walsh are both players with heaps of potential and big futures.

But Adam Reynolds is their most important player. Without him, they don’t make the GF last year.

WestyLife

First Grade

So much this. He has some faults but the guy even tried to put his team on his back against the 3 time premiers when the team is copping injuries mid game while Mam and sitting there with his thumb up his arse. He deserves respect.

abpanther

Staff member
Just had a look, Tago is top 5 in the league for errors and penalties conceded, he deserves to be dropped but won't because we don't have better options

John Hamblin

Juniors
Dylan is the best defensive fb ive ever seen.

Ive said for years and years. His work off the ball is 2nd to none. How often do you seem him make a try saver on our line in the 60th odd minute in one corner on the 4th and gassed out of all hell he turns up on the other side of the field literally next tackle to clean up a kick or save another try.

Its quite incredible. I still dont think people appreciate how special he is.

Imo he will go down with the Yeos, gowers, brandys, clearys as the greatest panthers of all time.

Yes hes not an attacking superstar..but our last 4 gfs and 3 wins have been on the back of defence. Its a team game but theres one bloke who is largely responsible for that.

His organisation at the back
Being the fittest bloke in the comp
His sheer desire to win
His willingness to take the tough carries out of our end..

Hes literally just a machine.

Throw into that hes attacking game has improved hugely over the last few years..

Everyone talks about yeo and nathan.. our team wouldnt have done what its done or be where it would be without dylan. Take him out of the picture and it just doesmt work.

He epitomises Panthers ball more than any other player in our team.. not the mlst flashy or skillful but in terms of hard work and doing whatever it takes to win for the team hes the man.
Well said great post

The Realist

Juniors

At the Panthers, yes. In the (now distant) past it was for any team. No so much these days. Players like Edwards and to an extent Gutherson have shone a light back to fullback as being a valuable defensive position - but it hasn't been considered a valuable defensive position for more than 20 years - other than being able to contest/catch bombs consistently well.