What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Gummy's

SAP58

Juniors
Mind boggling Old Timer. Yes Carr is following the Griffin blueprint with the retention of under performers Bird, BMM, Moga, Feagai, who has cost us at least 6 tries in past four games. Bird missing, but hearing he has not been sacked but carrying an injury. The way he tackled last week he should be carrying injuries inflicted by disgruntled fans.. both he and Feagai. Not sure why Musgrove has been dropped, either.
Totally agree with the comments if Feagai & Rava do what they have done for weeks & contantly come infield in defence Hynes will destroy us.

Old Timer

Coach
I suspect our wingers come in because they know that they have repetitive arm grabbers inside them

B Hunt, Amone, Bird, Burns, J Hunt, BMM
and if course Lomax was also doing it badly when he was on the left side.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Guys, just remember that the wingers come in - mostly - because the centre and often the 5/8 have come in / been beaten / rushed up / some other dumbarse move.

Often if the winger doesn’t come in the try will still be scored… just closer infield.

Not excusing them, but total blame isn’t always on them.

Georgeg

Juniors
Bird wont be in the backline this week which is a positive but regardless of whether we come in or stay out we look so slow in comparison

Crush

Coach
I will be at the game sitting with a Sharks supporter, why, no idea I must be a masochist !
Nobody actually watches the footy at the swamp, it’s just an outdoor nightclub. You’ll have a great time, except for the ground announcer that tries to rev the fans up over the loud speaker constantly.
I went last home game to watch Sharks vs Dogs on the hill, good fun mate.
Wear your dragons jersey, have a few cans of great northern, you’ll be right!

SnowDragon

Juniors
One shocking loss and the knives come out!

mind you, i prioritised a lunch with my ex-wife over watching the game live 😱

still, Moga played well before injury, and with his speed is better suited to centres.
wingers rushing in isn’t always bad, and not always their fault. Other teams do it great, it’s just that their teammates back up in cover faster and with more effort.
id prefer to persist with players like Sloan and Fegai, learning from real game experience is critical. Flanno can then evaluate after he gets his hands on the. Couchman deserve to play and get experience. As good as the alternatives and the experience is hI’ve. May need a rest every so often, and maybe only 1 of them at a time.

Squid1

Juniors
I suspect our wingers come in because they know that they have repetitive arm grabbers inside them

B Hunt, Amone, Bird, Burns, J Hunt, BMM
and if course Lomax was also doing it badly when he was on the left side.
Ravalava is not first grade he costs us so many points cant catch bombs and gets caught out in defence all the time , i cant work out why he keeps his place in the team ?

Ravalava is not first grade he costs us so many points cant catch bombs and gets caught out in defence all the time , i cant work out why he keeps his place in the team ?
Ravalava is dangerous close to the line but that is all he has. He lacks the pace of a top line winger. He is often beaten on the outside.

Old Timer

Coach
LOL Ravalawa is at the end of the defensive line that has already allowed the overlap.

Have a look at all the missed tackled and arm grabs and piss poor efforts from some of the players inside him.

FMD we get 3 in a tackle and opposition players still offload so what do you expect it to look like when the ball goes wide?

He gets picked because he can score a try and if you take him out and also Moga who cops plenty in here tell me how our try scoring numbers look and tell me which other player would have scored their tries because we don't ever set up any long range one's other than for the odd individual one.

Squid1

Juniors
LOL Ravalawa is at the end of the defensive line that has already allowed the overlap.

Have a look at all the missed tackled and arm grabs and piss poor efforts from some of the players inside him.

FMD we get 3 in a tackle and opposition players still offload so what do you expect it to look like when the ball goes wide?

He gets picked because he can score a try and if you take him out and also Moga who cops plenty in here tell me how our try scoring numbers look and tell me which other player would have scored their tries because we don't ever set up any long range one's other than for the odd individual one.
He gets outjumped all the time and can’t catch concedes more than scores and always has

Victoire

Juniors

Ryan Carr, five games into his career as an NRL head coach, felt the need to deliver his first spray.

When his St George Illawarra players filed into the club’s Wollongong headquarters to review the debacle that was their insipid performance on Friday against the Warriors, they were told the unvarnished truth.

During an old-fashioned honesty session, Carr pointed to the door. Those who didn’t want to adhere to the club’s standards were urged to use it.
“That’s what I believe in, that’s the way I coach,” Carr said on the eve of the clash with arch-rivals Cronulla.

“It was nothing new from me to them, I’m honest with them. They know that, there’s real clarity about what our standards are and what our accountability is towards our job.
“We didn’t meet that. I was just calling out what is what. It’s not about reacting and going over the top and going outside of what we believe in.

“I’m not a big ranter and raver, gone are the days of that. I was a bit disappointed in letting our standards go and putting out something we weren’t proud of.

“It’s about being honest. I take the good with the good, the bad with the bad. I’m never really high or really low, it is what it is.”

He has done well to keep an even keel given so much has transpired in his first month at the helm. The euphoria of Carr’s first win, a last-gasp victory on debut against the Roosters, has been tempered by countless Dragons dramas.

Jason Ryles rejected the seat Carr is warming, only for it to eventually go to – after countless board squabbles – Shane Flanagan. The appointment ended Flanagan’s purgatory, although other Dragons remain in limbo.

The futures of several players and staff, including Carr, remains unclear. Captain Ben Hunt’s final destination remains clouded after his initial release request was knocked back. Carr said Hunt will remain skipper despite continued speculation surrounding the Maroons star.

“He’s remained committed to the club, he’s not going anywhere,” Carr said.
“He’s committed to the boys for the remainder of this year. What that looks like past that is not my concern, I’m worried about him committing to the 2023 Dragons and he has done that.

“He won’t be going anywhere for the remainder of the year. He’s clarified that and told that to the group, so of course he will remain captain. He’s our captain, our on-field leader and there’s no need to change that.”

How long Carr remains at the Dragons remains unclear. The 34-year-old remains contracted for next year, but Flanagan is already putting his people and systems in place.

Moses Mbye, one of the game’s big earners in his pomp, has been told he is surplus to requirements. Head of physical performance Tony Guilfoyle has decided to move on immediately after learning the club was in negotiations with Andrew Gray, who was in the role during the club’s last premiership. Everyone is on notice.

While Flanagan’s fingerprints are already appearing at the Red V, Carr remains in charge for now.

“It’s my domain,” Carr said of team selection decisions. “[Flanagan] is good, we have an open dialogue about where the squad is heading, but he’s respectful to the fact we need to worry about our performances right now.

“He’ll have his ideas and things and I’m happy to work in with that, because it’s all for the greater good of the club. That’s what it’s about at the end of the day, no one is bigger than the club.”

As for the other distractions, Carr is philosophical.

“You are always going to have things thrown at you in footy,” he said.

“It’s more about trying to remain focused. There are no excuses, there are plenty there if we want them. We can look for them if you want and people will give them to you at times, but if you let excuses become a thing, then accountability goes out the window.

“It’s more about making sure we remain focused on us, what we can control and not letting outside things distract us from our job and standards.

“I’m not big on making excuses.”

Seasoned clipboard holders often say you haven’t really become an NRL coach until you have experienced three consecutive losses. That day may soon arrive for Carr – his record is 2-3 – but there’s nothing he’s gone through yet to dissuade him from his ambition of holding down a head role full-time.

“I still love it mate,” he said. “You’ve got to love it, otherwise it is not for you.”

Latest posts