What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 v Titans

thebigredv

First Grade
Raiders came out with brilliant line speed the other night. They found something extra and it gave them a win vs a top 4 team. I'm sure they gave some six agains in the process but if you are getting up putting pressure you will win the physical and mental battle. We've lost our line speed but still kept the poor discipline.

Can we find it again today? If not, season over.

denis preston

First Grade
Point 1. Rubbish you just don’t hear him bag the team too much publicly
Point 2. Comes down to individuals decision making. I look across our squad and some of the more experienced players have let us down in that dept. eg Norman, McGuire with penalties, Kerr and even Sims st times.
I did not mention Bird, Dufty and Hunty as I know they too have made many errors between em but have kept us alive with setting up tries and good passing at the right time
Suspensions too more than injury have caused upheaval to the squad

Of course some young ones have made critical mistakes too but they can be excused as we have had a lot of inexperienced members in our squad.. like today as a prime example

I keep saying changing of just about everything that was needed football related takes time and there will be more bumps and hurdles ahead. Just hoping they start to slowly become fewer.
But hey we are still 7th
IMO you left out the biggest offender here.

kit66

Bench
On a positive note without putting too much pressure on him...I hope Jayden has a blinder today AND stays healthy !
Jayden, JP and Feagai and also Cluney if he plays decent minutes must be chomping at the bit to finally play some footy and to get a chance to impress. At least with JP and Feagai we'll get some good starts to our sets as both are strong runners bringing the ball off our line, JP's greatest strength in fact. I hope Bud has a blinder, him and Dufty will give us some real speed and strike.
The 6 again is the dodgiest rule ever, it gives the refs too much power to control a game. I'm not saying the refs are crooked but if they were, the 6 again would be the perfect tool for shaping results. You watch the play and most of the 6 again calls are unclear and to many observers unjustified. They were meant to replace time wasting penalties but the refs hand them out with gay abandon. Lawrie gave away 3 last week and a penalty, with that and his low work rate he's rapidly becoming my least favourite Dragon. He's our senior prop now, he needs to start acting like it.
We need this win boys, you can do it ! Go Saints !

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Jayden, JP and Feagai and also Cluney if he plays decent minutes must be chomping at the bit to finally play some footy and to get a chance to impress. At least with JP and Feagai we'll get some good starts to our sets as both are strong runners bringing the ball off our line, JP's greatest strength in fact. I hope Bud has a blinder, him and Dufty will give us some real speed and strike.
The 6 again is the dodgiest rule ever, it gives the refs too much power to control a game. I'm not saying the refs are crooked but if they were, the 6 again would be the perfect tool for shaping results. You watch the play and most of the 6 again calls are unclear and to many observers unjustified. They were meant to replace time wasting penalties but the refs hand them out with gay abandon. Lawrie gave away 3 last week and a penalty, with that and his low work rate he's rapidly becoming my least favourite Dragon. He's our senior prop now, he needs to start acting like it.
We need this win boys, you can do it ! Go Saints !

I agree, the six again calls are completely subjective and up to the referee in any given match.

We can do all the coaching we like around it but that won't necessarily prevent the calls going against us on game day.

Aside from that, if we want good line speed than arguably we need good first contact in tackles (which we don't have anymore) and failing that we need to slow down the ruck, so you can't blame the players for trying especially when factoring in the inconsistency of the six again calls.

If everyone wants us not to give away six agains I guarantee we will concede a lot of points because our defence won't be able to contain the opposition ruck speed, so it's very much a complex issue and not as easy as a coach coaching it out of them.

thebigredv

First Grade
I agree, the six again calls are completely subjective and up to the referee in any given match.

We can do all the coaching we like around it but that won't necessarily prevent the calls going against us on game day.

Aside from that, if we want good line speed than arguably we need good first contact in tackles (which we don't have anymore) and failing that we need to slow down the ruck, so you can't blame the players for trying especially when factoring in the inconsistency of the six again calls.

If everyone wants us not to give away six agains I guarantee we will concede a lot of points because our defence won't be able to contain the opposition ruck speed, so it's very much a complex issue and not as easy as a coach coaching it out of them.
Some truth there. Shows how messed up and complicated the game is. Thanks V'landys. Hope he is enjoying his product. Expect the lowly sides to stay low for a while.

Crush

Coach
Gotta love the headline today “Young trio that can save the Saints”
Save the Saints, like we are completely lost. Umm, last time I checked we were coming 7th after they predicted a spoon.
Yet the headlines around teams like Warriors, Knights, Cowboys will all be “Brave Warriors” “galant cowboys” etc.

thebigredv

First Grade
Save the Saints, like we are completely lost. Umm, last time I checked we were coming 7th after they predicted a spoon.
Yet the headlines around teams like Warriors, Knights, Cowboys will all be “Brave Warriors” “galant cowboys” etc.

No doubt we are hated Crush. We have a very bad name right now and it started before the BBQ but the truth is we do need saving. We lose today and face the draw we've got and we are sliding down to where we ended last year real quick. Today is a big game.

7th = 1st of the also rans

With the exception of the Raiders, we lead the weakest group of teams I have seen in over 50 years watching footy.

TruSaint

Referee
After watching the incident regarding Flegler yesterday, no doubt the focus will he back on today from the refs.

I wonder who it will be?

remote.axd

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Titans moving Fifita to the bench, interesting decision. Bringing him on v tired forwards would be a good move, however, if we are 'ON OUR GAME', we should be far enough in front for his impact to be ineffectual.

Massive game for us.

Latest posts