What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Canberra

since77

Juniors
So firstly the negative - OMG the defensive efforts this team puts in are just disgraceful. Whoever takes over as defence coach in the off season has a huge job ahead of them. The tries we concede are just unforgivable. Griffin should rot in hell for the state he left this team in.

The positives - Lomax outstanding. Anyone notice his powerful kick return late in the game? Yeah baby! The halves combo - just imagine if those two had been allowed to string some consecutive games together. Shame about Sully and his hamstring. I’ve given it to Amone this year but last night he looked good. Congrats to Dan Russell, never looked out of place and I’d be happy to see him play the rest of the season out. Young Couchman too rips in and it’s a shame the rest of the forwards don’t have his heart or work ethic. And I’m going to grudgingly concede Mbye stepped up in the second half and settled the team down.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The one take-away for me from this game was how much of a toxic influence one player can have on a team. Even Sticky made a passing comment on it in the Raiders presser to the tune of Carr is a great young coach, but some players are just not putting in for him.

Besides the obvious, such as Lomax. Rava and Amone. There was the signs of life from a few other players, who we have lambasted previously, and in most cases rightly so. Burns had a good game, and he was playing on his non-preferred side. Feagai, was better, not great, but better.

All in all I'm happy with what I saw, especially the 2nd half, such a shame that Liddle lost that ball, who knows what may have transpired from there.

Oh, and mmm the video ref, enough said.

rasaint

Juniors
Lomax outstanding? Played well. On the spot when Crocker spilt ball to dive over and top catch to score second. Otherwise busy and tackled well.
Powerful kick return? Ran the ball back hard and was stopped without fuss. Goal kicking OK but check out Crocker, an excellent goal kicker.

Zac played well but remember he sucks up reported $800k of cap. Check Canberra’s centre Timoko and note what speed and power as a centre looks like. I still believe back row if any is Zac spot.

JDB fab and was outstanding all game!

• Haha
Reactions: DfL

since77

Juniors
Lomax outstanding? Played well. On the spot when Crocker spilt ball to dive over and top catch to score second. Otherwise busy and tackled well.
Powerful kick return? Ran the ball back hard and was stopped without fuss. Goal kicking OK but check out Crocker, an excellent goal kicker.

Zac played well but remember he sucks up reported $800k of cap. Check Canberra’s centre Timoko and note what speed and power as a centre looks like. I still believe back row if any is Zac spot.

JDB fab and was outstanding all game!
Give the Lomax bashing a rest dude, it’s reeeeealllly boring. And he’s not on 800k, get your facts straight. Timoko is a very good prospect but like a lot of opposition backs playing against us in ‘23 he was allowed to play well. Some of the tackles he broke last night through were under 7’s stuff. FFS we’ve made Phillip Sami from the Gold Coast look like a superstar when’s he’s played us.

So firstly the negative - OMG the defensive efforts this team puts in are just disgraceful. Whoever takes over as defence coach in the off season has a huge job ahead of them. The tries we concede are just unforgivable. Griffin should rot in hell for the state he left this team in.

The positives - Lomax outstanding. Anyone notice his powerful kick return late in the game? Yeah baby! The halves combo - just imagine if those two had been allowed to string some consecutive games together. Shame about Sully and his hamstring. I’ve given it to Amone this year but last night he looked good. Congrats to Dan Russell, never looked out of place and I’d be happy to see him play the rest of the season out. Young Couchman too rips in and it’s a shame the rest of the forwards don’t have his heart or work ethic. And I’m going to grudgingly concede Mbye stepped up in the second half and settled the team down.
Mbye is not an outstanding player, but saying that he is versatile and can play anywhere. He is a reliable bench option. In some respects underrated.

rasaint

Juniors
Hey Junior 77, all good and like you I ’m a very long term supporter of the dragons/ saints. I stated that Zac played well last night and I’m happy for that. I hope he gets better and better.

I got the $800k per season figure from a number of very recent media reports, about week or two ago. I’m sure others on the forum saw those reports also.

Zac originally got a reported $3 million ( $500k a year) when his 6 year deal signed up 3 years ago. I remember that amount reported. I understand there were ratchet up clauses linked to the level of the cap etc. Anyway, if the $800k recent reports are wrong then fair enough.

I do believe that with his height and say an extra 7 kg Zac could be a strong backrower like Beau Scott, who could cover centre when required. Zac likes to mix it and carry and tackle in traffic. Also, I remember Flano put 7kg to 10 kg on Matt Prior and he played 2016 as a power top line prop. All on the forum agree that we need an extra strong backrower or two to support Sua ( in his last year with us). Zac could be the player internally able to step into that role. BTW, Matt Feagai carries strongly in traffic.Thereafter, in our attempts to balance the cap etc may see a power centre like Bradman Best and say a top prop like Tino able to be recruited.

Illusion

Bench

Just on Lomax the guy competes for everything , his try when he out leapt everyone to score is typical of the guy , if I remember right he was just involved in the previous play , but soon as he seen there was a kick on he was pushing guys out of the way to compete ....... Put him in a team that goes forward and he will be a handful ......

redVbull

Juniors
Mbye is not an outstanding player, but saying that he is versatile and can play anywhere. He is a reliable bench option. In some respects underrated.
seeing it different ... a good game for Mbye but still underwhelming. He persisted in shallow bombs as last play options instead of moving it fast and wide given how well the backline was working. Yes one of his kicks led to Lomax try but that credit was Rava's take down of Croker.

Anyhow just misreads late in the game when we didn't need them.

I still wonder what he was doing to make QLD Origin representation few years back ... surely not the game he bought to the Dragons.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Got to give it to Carr with getting the boys spirit back with a great comeback. They could have folded in a heap in the second half says more about CBR as their still the fight.

Blocker was gassed by the twenty minute mark and missed Tapine. Can't understand why he's left on if he needs a breather.

Hopefully, Slone and Bud will be right with the bye and Musgrove gets a shot. Give Russell as start and keep Burns.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
THe left side of defence killed Saints last night but apart from that they were great. How many more tries do they have to leak for the coaches to realise there is an issue and fix it. They are the easy targets now. It's like a guarantee try down that side for most sides. For a big fella Suli sure misses a lot of tackles. He should be smashing the opposition yet the seem to be able to break through.

I have been critical on Billy Burns but he had a great game last night well done lad. I hope he keeps it up. Lomax was outstanding. I am surprised he is not getting shredded for missing 2 goals as it would have been 30-30 at 1 stage before Kris' final try. He plays with so much heart. Lomax and Rava have such a good thing going I still cannot believe someone would change that. They are dynamic. Amone also have a great game and one of his best in a while.

The team overall looked to have a different attitude and it is surely to do with Hunt no being there. Sullivan will come good. He had some good and bad moments but is still early in his career. I hope his injury is not serious and he gets some game time with Amone in the halves. Saints I feel have their 1/6/7 sorted for 2024 without Hunt.

I would be happy to have Mbye in the halves other than Hunt next week if Bud is injured. Mbye tried hard and made an effort. Hunt needs a break for a week or 2 to get his head straight. I would not trust Hunt for the Tigers game as it is to important for the season and I think he will get the side going backwards like he did after the Souths win. Plus he may even tank it as he clearly has no care factor for the red V.

Illusion

Bench
Got to give it to Carr with getting the boys spirit back with a great comeback. They could have folded in a heap in the second half says more about CBR as their still the fight.

Blocker was gassed by the twenty minute mark and missed Tapine. Can't understand why he's left on if he needs a breather.

Hopefully, Slone and Bud will be right with the bye and Musgrove gets a shot. Give Russell as start and keep Burns.
And piss of Hunt , the guy is toxic , no one can play their natural game when he is there , he wants to do everything ......

Illusion

Bench
THe left side of defence killed Saints last night but apart from that they were great. How many more tries do they have to leak for the coaches to realise there is an issue and fix it. They are the easy targets now. It's like a guarantee try down that side for most sides. For a big fella Suli sure misses a lot of tackles. He should be smashing the opposition yet the seem to be able to break through.

I have been critical on Billy Burns but he had a great game last night well done lad. I hope he keeps it up. Lomax was outstanding. I am surprised he is not getting shredded for missing 2 goals as it would have been 30-30 at 1 stage before Kris' final try. He plays with so much heart. Lomax and Rava have such a good thing going I still cannot believe someone would change that. They are dynamic. Amone also have a great game and one of his best in a while.

The team overall looked to have a different attitude and it is surely to do with Hunt no being there. Sullivan will come good. He had some good and bad moments but is still early in his career. I hope his injury is not serious and he gets some game time with Amone in the halves. Saints I feel have their 1/6/7 sorted for 2024 without Hunt.

I would be happy to have Mbye in the halves other than Hunt next week if Bud is injured. Mbye tried hard and made an effort. Hunt needs a break for a week or 2 to get his head straight. I would not trust Hunt for the Tigers game as it is to important for the season and I think he will get the side going backwards like he did after the Souths win. Plus he may even tank it as he clearly has no care factor for the red V.
X2 , THIS .......

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Bye came at a fortunate time for some players. I assume Bud, BMM & Sloan are going to be a few weeks regardless. So that's 3 spots up for grabs imo.

I'd love for Zac to get a proper crack at FB, JDB or Couchman for BMM & Hunt to be halfback but play on the left & give more control to Amone OR bring someone else at halfback. I don't want mbye at hb because he's leaving anyway plus I don't think he's got great game management skills.

I was just outside kicking a football around with my 6-month old Jack Russell and I'll tell you what, she has a better idea of where the ball is going to land than Tyrell Sloan or Paul Turner.
That said, she's more of an Aussie Rules dog. Make a good crumber or ruck Rover. 😄