What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 Vs Sharks

Iamback

Coach
Will do. We've found it much easier in the past to get parking at the club early amd walk up to the plaza. Do build a bear and lunch 😂

Getting out can be a pain.

Station Street outside the ground is free all day parking. If you park there facing Jamison Road you will be out so much quicker after the game too

WestyLife

First Grade
Getting out can be a pain.

Station Street outside the ground is free all day parking. If you park there facing Jamison Road you will be out so much quicker after the game too

I'll look at that. Not that it bothers us much with the traffic. Get an ice cream for maccas while waiting out the traffic.

snickers007

Juniors
You don't want to do it last round.

rest
win semi week 1
rest

Too few games. So you want to give them rests before then maybe 2nd last game rest guys

Yeah Round 24 vs Warriors is probably the ideal time for the next rest round.
Also the best time to give us the JJ Giltinan Sheild

Iamback

Coach
Yeah Round 24 vs Warriors is probably the ideal time for the next rest round.
Also the best time to give us the JJ Giltinan Sheild

That would be my plan.

As for the Shield.. Hopefully we wrap it up sooner would be nice to get it for the Storm game to put a full stop on the competition rounds and let us prepare for the finals sooner

Girds89

Bench
You don't want to do it last round.

rest
win semi week 1
rest

Too few games. So you want to give them rests before then maybe 2nd last game rest guys
Nah i would do it last round for multiple reasons. Teams over a long period have rested stars over that period and it hasnt affected their title. Bunnies did it last year and had us if not for critta. Se were gassed the whole finals series.

Players wont lose match fitness over such a short period and havng the break than really gets u ready for week 1 which is sooo important going the hard way just makes it so much tougher.

It also means if blokes pick up slight niggles or strains they have 2 weeks to get right instead of 1. 1 week isnt enough to get over a minor soft tissue injury but 2 with a heap of physio youd be able to get them ready potentially.

Lastly nth qld in last rd is away up there. So you lose days up there preparing. No winter up there. Can be 30 and 100% humidity in september. Thats taxing on the players when they arent used to it. Wed essentially be up there probs for 4 days. Get a few really humid days in there and it can take a toll let alone a game in those conditions can zap players for a whole week.

Theres no reason they couldnt really amp up training intensity but rest last rd and really build into week one with everyone feeling rested and ready to go.

Iamback

Coach
Nah i would do it last round for multiple reasons. Teams over a long period have rested stars over that period and it hasnt affected their title. Bunnies did it last year and had us if not for critta. Se were gassed the whole finals series.

Players wont lose match fitness over such a short period and havng the break than really gets u ready for week 1 which is sooo important going the hard way just makes it so much tougher.

It also means if blokes pick up slight niggles or strains they have 2 weeks to get right instead of 1. 1 week isnt enough to get over a minor soft tissue injury but 2 with a heap of physio youd be able to get them ready potentially.

Lastly nth qld in last rd is away up there. So you lose days up there preparing. No winter up there. Can be 30 and 100% humidity in september. Thats taxing on the players when they arent used to it. Wed essentially be up there probs for 4 days. Get a few really humid days in there and it can take a toll let alone a game in those conditions can zap players for a whole week.

Theres no reason they couldnt really amp up training intensity but rest last rd and really build into week one with everyone feeling rested and ready to go.

Correct teams rest them. Not all in the final round because you want combinations.

It means you are going into your Prelim with 1 game in 3 weeks. Then you run the risk of a slow start to the game. Chasing points doesn't suit us

Teams will go maybe 75% at most in opposed sessions at training. Too high risk of injury other wise.

2nd or 3rd last comp game is perfect. Given we are 4 wins clear it allows us the chance to do it

Girds89

Bench
Its also potentially 4 or 5 days away from our facilities which are the best in the nrl.

All things go to plan we shouldnt need to play outside of sydney in the finals. Not having to travel the last part of the season really allows the coaches to lock in training schedules and manage fatigue and workloads

Given covid is breaking out again too of we can avoid our players going to the airport that is a bonus. Dont need nath or yeo catching it before wk1 of finals. Yes you can get it anywhere but airports and planes are super high risk settings

Girds89

Bench
Correct teams rest them. Not all in the final round because you want combinations.

It means you are going into your Prelim with 1 game in 3 weeks. Then you run the risk of a slow start to the game. Chasing points doesn't suit us

Teams will go maybe 75% at most in opposed sessions at training. Too high risk of injury other wise.

2nd or 3rd last comp game is perfect. Given we are 4 wins clear it allows us the chance to do it
Mate pretty much every team that had a confirmed 8 spot last year literally rested everyone last rd haha. Its been thatbway forever.

No it means you have the week off before wk1 of finals. If you win week 1 its 1 game in 3 weeks. Play rd 23 and 24 have 25 off and play wk1 means 3 out of 4 games in the month. And getting wk1 off is absolutley huge.

But dont give me the combinations argument lol. The whole teams basically been together for a sustained period of success. All the juniors have played together for 10 years haha.. including at the highest level being origin now.

We dont need to be building combos in rd 25 haha.. nothing to stop them doing things at training either. The try edwards scored of the scrum earlier this year is a good example.. never tried it in a game... just did it at training and scored first time in the game..these blokes know each others games down to a tee. Its why we have been so good.

You also run the risk of playing a full strength team in rd 25 against a team full of blokes from nth qld who have been riding the pine all year or in their qld cup team becaus they will probs rest players like every other team. And the blokes that come in our desperate to get a look in for the finals so they want to put on a show and target the guns.

Like last year... we pit on 40 against parras b team. Ray stone was trying to kill people... all those combos meant nothing in week 1 against the bunnies..

Yes we were injured etc but u just run the risk of coming up against blokes desperate for a finals spot that will do whatever to get in the team.

Like that run in 25 last year achieved nothing..yeah we put on 40 against their nsw cup team... did that help us score at all in the finals series?

snickers007

Juniors
But dont give me the combinations argument lol. The whole teams basically been together for a sustained period of success. All the juniors have played together for 10 years haha.. including at the highest level being origin now.

We dont need to be building combos in rd 25 haha.. nothing to stop them doing things at training either. The try edwards scored of the scrum earlier this year is a good example.. never tried it in a game... just did it at training and scored first time in the game..these blokes know each others games down to a tee. Its why we have been so good.

I don't care either way whether we rest players - just wanted to discuss this part.

Pretty much every game this year, the general consensus has been either:
a) our attack is clunky, but we still managed to score 30+. Imagine how good we'll be when it clicks. and/or
b) we're dominating games with our defence, and grinding them into submission - but taking 60+ mins to put the nail in the coffin.

Given that, I think we do still have work to do on our combinations - and we need to ensure that the players that handle the ball the most (spine + Yeo), play as much footy as possible.

Also, don't discount the player's egos. They want to play, and they want to win.

Something else, Round 25 of the NRL (vs Cowboys), is Week 1 of the NSW Cup finals.
Round 24 (vs Warriors), our NSW Cup team has the Bye.
I know that our NRL team should be the priority - but I'd be disappointed if we pretty much gave up on our NSW Cup season for the sake of giving our NRL guys a breather.

Girds89

Bench
I don't care either way whether we rest players - just wanted to discuss this part.

Pretty much every game this year, the general consensus has been either:
a) our attack is clunky, but we still managed to score 30+. Imagine how good we'll be when it clicks. and/or
b) we're dominating games with our defence, and grinding them into submission - but taking 60+ mins to put the nail in the coffin.

Given that, I think we do still have work to do on our combinations - and we need to ensure that the players that handle the ball the most (spine + Yeo), play as much footy as possible.

Also, don't discount the player's egos. They want to play, and they want to win.

Something else, Round 25 of the NRL (vs Cowboys), is Week 1 of the NSW Cup finals.
Round 24 (vs Warriors), our NSW Cup team has the Bye.
I know that our NRL team should be the priority - but I'd be disappointed if we pretty much gave up on our NSW Cup season for the sake of giving our NRL guys a breather.
Nsw cup is nice but means nothing really. Ic we are out of contention sure id love to see them win but at the end of the day its all about nro success.

I dont think our attack has been clunky at all.

I think part of our game needs fine tuning but its more of a coaching thing than game practice.

For example naths kicking stategy this year has been well off. Thats strategy and for whatever reasons hes being coached or told to play like that.. thats not game practice to fix its a change of plans.

Nath can kick 40/20s and has more variety than the predicatble midfield bombs... doesnt need match practice to kick early... thats coaching.

The main and sole priority should be making sure blokes are rested and fit ready to rock and roll for week 1.

When we play in nth qld they normally go up 2 or 3 days early to aclimatise and than come back day after game.

Thats 4 or 5 days away from our world class facilities at the back end of the year in potentially hot humid conditions where your training on unfamiliar grounds and without usual equipment etc etc.

I think ivan will get it right this year. Playing the whole team in rd 25 last year against a nsw cup team achieved nothing and only risked injuries for no reason and stopped the boys frok getting a solid weeks rest before week1.

globalpanther

Juniors
Rest in rd25 Ivan won’t send us up to Townsville to play in Sept tropics & risk a short turnaround on a long flight back. No way in world

Girds89

Bench
Rest in rd25 Ivan won’t send us up to Townsville to play in Sept tropics & risk a short turnaround on a long flight back. No way in world
Yep it would be beyond dumb.

The only viable argument i can see is thst if you rest 25 and win week 1 thzn you only 2 games in a month. Im no sporrs scentist but im sure they can conduct training in a way as to ensure no loss of match fitness in that period.

Weve been the fittest team innthe comp for 3 years. Cant see them losing their way over a 4 week period.

If anything i reckon the rest will make them train harder.

Last year it was well known that edwards, leota, cleary fish all were barely training during the finals. It was about survival. This year will be different hopefully.

The trip to townsville would be about as dumb as it gets imo.