What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 line-up: Raiders look to build a foundation

jed

First Grade
Raiders look to build a foundation
hodgson_426.jpg
March 14, 2006
spacer.gif
Canberra Raiders coach Matt Elliot has recalled hard working forward Michael Hodgson for the first home game against Newcastle on Sunday, after Josh Miller was ruled out for six months today after sustaining a knee injury in Canberra’s 27-14 win over Manly last weekend.​
Hodgson was selected to play over Premier League front-rower Jason Williams and second rower Terry Campese, and will look to cement a spot back in the top grade after a solid season in 2005.
Raiders Coach Matt Elliot said although the loss of Miller is a big blow to the side, the opportunity now presents itself to a host of other first grade hopefuls.
“We need him on the park (Miller) and he’s a loss most definitely,” Elliot said. “But he got some opportunity last year to play first grade and grabbed it with two hands, so we’ve got Michael Hodgson, Jason Williams, Trevor Thurling, Andrew Lomu, and Mick Weyman not to far away, so we’re going to see who jumps up and grabs their opportunity.”
Elliot said the first round win against Manly was a positive start to the season, and looks forward to improvement from his side as the weeks go on.
“It was a good solid performance and there’s a lot that we can build on there,” he said. “There is a lot that we can improve on, so I’m really pleased with the effort and that’s a nice foundation for sure.”
Elliot said he was proud of the way his three debutants handled the tough Brookvale conditions on Saturday night, and was also pleased with the progress with new recruit Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
“I think the new boys were outstanding, we singled them out after the game and the other players acknowledged them,” he said. “I would like to throw Thommy Learoyd in there as well; I thought his first game for the club was a really solid performance.”
Elliot confirmed his commitment to the new players by naming all three in the side for the match against the Knights on Sunday, and said he would continue to stick with the best seventeen players available based on form.
“We did say leading into the game that we would pick the guys who were playing the best in the trials, and I think that was reconfirmed by the performance of those guys right across the park,” he said.
Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske echoed his coaches’ comments, and said the new crop of players rose to the occasion on Saturday, and complimented solid performances across the park for Canberra.
“A few people have said to me that the new boys look like they were made to play first grade and they were probably three of our best performers,” Schifcofske said. “I think Simon Woolford was our best along with Thom Learoyd-Lahrs, and I thought Alan Tongue and Terry Martin were really impressive.”
Schifcofske said he looks forward to a bumper crowd for the first home game of the season, and expected the Raiders to continue their good form against a Knights side full of quality players.
“Joey will be playing so hopefully we’ll get a good crowd and I think the people of Canberra should really get behind us,” he said. “We have plenty of young blokes from Canberra so there’s plenty to cheer about and the proof will be in the pudding Sunday afternoon.”
CANBERRA Vs NEWCASTLE
Canberra Stadium, Sunday March 19
Kickoff 3:00pm

1. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE (C)
2. ADRIAN PURTELL
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. DAVID HOWELL
5. ADAM MOGG
6. JASON SMITH
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. WILLIE RASTON
9. SIMON WOOLFORD
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. BEN JONES
12. JASON CROKER
13. ALAN TONGUE

INTERCHANGE
14. TODD CARNEY
15. TERRY MARTIN
16. THOM LEAROYD-LARS
17. MICHAEL HODGSON

from http://www.raiders.com.au/season/news/06031401/

Macko8

Juniors
hmmmm no changes except for hodgson getting a bench spot due to millers injury.
Its good elliot hasnt let down the 3 debutants rewarding them with a first home game match,good. I dunno if hodgson will be up to it though....i mean when was the last time he played FG???middle of last year?????
The sooner weyman gets back in action the better.
williams and lomu???where the hell are they???and thurling???give trevor the bench spot and see how he goes.

Macko8

Juniors
Im not taking nothing away from hodgson
It couldnt hurt to give Thurling the bench spot. Though im sure he'll get his chance in the top grade in the upcoming weeks.

Macko8

Juniors
Yeah and that centre position aye......howell has really gotta step up this week to regain his FG spot IMO.
Otherwise id like to see ale replace him in the centres and bring chalk up to the wing and knock mogg back to centres.

But this week howell man you better play outta your skin fella, otherwise im pritty sure there will be alot of pissed of raiders supporters.

thickos

First Grade
Thurling is still not right, he's injured.

I'm perfectly happy with that side, Elliott was never gonna make massive changes considering the side won convincingly last week.

Timbo

Staff member
I like it.

The lack of a genuine prop on the bench concerns me but otherwise no dramas.

Meanwhile, for the opposition:

The first grade team is:
1. Milton Thaiday
2. Brian Carney
3. Matthew Gidley
4. George Carmont
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Andrew Johns (C)
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Kirk Reynoldson
13. Reegan Tanner
Interchange:
14. Adam Woolnough
15. Daniel Tolar
16. Riley Brown
17. Todd Lowrie

Chips

Juniors
the line up looks good....nice to see Hodgo back....one of our best in 2003 and injured pretty much since, good if he gets a good season under his belt

Panjabi

Juniors
Craig Frawley has been named on the bench in Premeir League this week, hopefully he can rack up some game time and make his way into firsts in the next couple of weeks.

Boing Boing

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I would be totally happy if Ale was in the centres with Howell in PL

I disagree. Howell's support play and defence is far better than Ale's even if Ale has the advantage as a ball runner.

Raider_69

Post Whore
good team, bar Howell. Id like to see Frawls get some game time and hopefully some form and force his way into the team at Howells expence

ak47

Juniors
Its ok.....only coz we won on the weekend

Do u think that side would be picked if we lost by a few points?

Our forwards won us the game against manly...not the backs

Chuck in Ale, get rid of Howell

I am counting down the moments until the first Howell 'bulgarelliesque' moment happens.........its just around the corner.......

Jesus i cant wait for Weyman, Tilse, Lomu, and Williams to be 100% fit....its a scary thought for anyone.......when our rookie young pack, demolishes Menzies, BK, Watmough, Kite n Co.

aussies1st

Staff member
Not a bad team bar Howell. Hopefully Williams, Lomu come back soon so that we can add them to the bench.

Paullyboy

Coach
Ill echo everyone else's sentiments and say get rid of Howell and that team is looking mighty fine. I dont care who they bring up out of Chalk/Ale/Frawley (although that would be my order of preference) but one of them, if not 2 will hopefully force their way into a winning Raidesr side - rather than waiting for a certain centre to cost us a game.