What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Cowboys

possm

Coach
I'd like to see JDB on the bench at first and them take up his spot at lock. In 2021 we are short at least one edge forward (Frizell's replacement) so, I expect that Fui should play on the edge.

kit66

Bench
I got to watch the replay today and geez we don't do ourselves any favours, so many mistakes and giving away 6 agains. It's lucky our defence is on the improve otherwise we would have lost that game. It's also lucky we have a good draw to start the year to give us time to improve without getting flogged each week.
A couple of points -
1. I love it when Kerr scores, he's so happy about it.
2. Real shame we lost Cam and have no backup hooker. Mac played well but was gassed around the 60 - 65 minute mark and wasn't so good with his service from then on which slowed the ball getting to the kickers on last tackle and them having to kick under pressure, cost us field position and could have cost us the game. I don't have an answer but he needs help or a rest.
3. Sims has copped some flack on here but he was mighty in defence, hitting hard and closing gaps, he missed a few but played 80 minutes in the heat and humidity. He aint done yet fellas. He'll have better days too.
4. Fui was the best forward on the park, I'm so glad we persisted with him. He'll get even better and you'll see more big hits from him. Hunt was overall best on the park - he played as good as he did early 2018.
5. I think Zac has been told to reduce his mistakes and only play at the ball on bombs if he's 100% sure he can catch it or knock it back, not just swing at it and hope for the best. Same with his off loads - percentage plays.
6. Dufty too has been told to concentrate on percentages it seems, he was quiet in attack but steadier under the high ball and positioning - keep that up, he has to get that right.
7. Alvaro and Po look to have a little combo going off the bench, following each other and giving short passes, that's a real bonus for us and great to see. If I was Dufty I'd be following these two every chance. Merrin too was good off the bench, as I've said, his skill and off loads will be valuable in tight games.
8. That game showed what an assett Norman is to both our kicking game and to organizing the troops and taking pressure off Hunt. These two will shine under Hooks steady hand.

Slowly but surely.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I got to watch the replay today and geez we don't do ourselves any favours, so many mistakes and giving away 6 agains. It's lucky our defence is on the improve otherwise we would have lost that game. It's also lucky we have a good draw to start the year to give us time to improve without getting flogged each week.
A couple of points -
2. Real shame we lost Cam and have no backup hooker. Mac played well but was gassed around the 60 - 65 minute mark and wasn't so good with his service from then on which slowed the ball getting to the kickers on last tackle and them having to kick under pressure, cost us field position and could have cost us the game. I don't have an answer but he needs help or a rest.
3. Sims has copped some flack on here but he was mighty in defence, hitting hard and closing gaps, he missed a few but played 80 minutes in the heat and humidity. He aint done yet fellas. He'll have better days too.
4. Fui was the best forward on the park, I'm so glad we persisted with him. He'll get even better and you'll see more big hits from him. Hunt was overall best on the park - he played as good as he did early 2018.
5. I think Zac has been told to reduce his mistakes and only play at the ball on bombs if he's 100% sure he can catch it or knock it back, not just swing at it and hope for the best. Same with his off loads - percentage plays.
6. Dufty too has been told to concentrate on percentages it seems, he was quiet in attack but steadier under the high ball and positioning - keep that up, he has to get that right.
7. Alvaro and Po look to have a little combo going off the bench, following each other and giving short passes, that's a real bonus for us and great to see. If I was Dufty I'd be following these two every chance. Merrin too was good off the bench, as I've said, his skill and off loads will be valuable in tight games.
8. That game showed what an assett Norman is to both our kicking game and to organizing the troops and taking pressure off Hunt. These two will shine under Hooks steady hand.

Slowly but surely.
I thought Alvaro was close our man of the match, extremely busy & big minutes.. great to see Merrin returning to some decent form, our go forward actually improved after Vaughan & Lawrie went off.

Still struggling with the Williame experiment off the bench but otherwise it’s a hard working team.

Como Connection

First Grade
Agree- I, for one, was pleasantly surprised- he looks to have lost some weight. He ran hard and was heavily involved in defence.

However, Tariq Sims has to go- he is a spent force and looked gassed on the rare moments he was involved. As against the Sharks, he didn't threaten in attack and I actually asked my son after about 20 minutes if he was on the field (he was).

Fui to the backrow and Bird to lock for mine.
On that display Fui must stay lock.
4700 posts now for me, somewhat slower that a lot of members!
CC

kit66

Bench
I thought Alvaro was close our man of the match, extremely busy & big minutes.. great to see Merrin returning to some decent form, our go forward actually improved after Vaughan & Lawrie went off.

Still struggling with the Williame experiment off the bench but otherwise it’s a hard working team.

I noticed early in the game bringing the ball out of our half we played very shallow and the boys were getting tackled almost as soon as they received the ball, no depth, no-one running hard onto a ball passed out in front of them. At the other end, on the attack we had some depth. Not sure of the logic but it seems to be the plan for now, maybe a safety first / hold the ball strategy.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Heard from a few people thst are close to the club that if DeBelin plays he would go straight into prop rotation. After nearly 3yrs out, lock has changed and so have the rules.
If this did come about, who would drop off the team list, or does DeBelin have to play a few reggies games to prove he's still a 1st grade footballer?

Como Connection

First Grade
Heard from a few people thst are close to the club that if DeBelin plays he would go straight into prop rotation. After nearly 3yrs out, lock has changed and so have the rules.
If this did come about, who would drop off the team list, or does DeBelin have to play a few reggies games to prove he's still a 1st grade footballer?
Williame
CC

BLM01

First Grade
I noticed early in the game bringing the ball out of half we played very shallow and the boys were getting tackled almost as soon as they received the ball, no depth, no-one running hard onto a ball passed out in front of them. At the other end, on the attack we had some depth. Not sure of the logic but it seems to be the plan for now, maybe a safety first / hold the ball strategy.
Well the safety first hold the ball strategy did not work in the 1st half, how many times did the forwards drop it rucking it out. 2..3?

BLM01

First Grade
A couple of points -

Slowly but surely.
Point 2..
Give him time it is his 2nd game back from injury and in the season proper.
Take about 4-5 weeks to get used to the pace and speed and have fitness level where they need to be

Gardenia

Juniors

I was thinking about this lately actually. Thinking that Hook might play him in reserve grade to earn his spot back due to lack of match fitness/experience of late. Thats if he comes back.

Gardenia

Juniors
Lock suits Fuimaono his defence has significantly improved & I like him in the middle not an edge. Tariq will come good.

yes IF JDB comes back I don't think he is a straight up start to FG - think he has a bit of competition now.

Tariq is still good we would miss him if he was not there. I think it is just a matter of he was great before and he is not great of late. Wish he would fire again miss him doing that. Hope he is ok within himself.

Gardenia

Juniors
A couple of points -

Slowly but surely.

Great post!
1 - Absolutely agree. He is great and will only improve and very personable also.
2- Is Cam "any" chance of coming back late season or is he out completely?
3-Still believe in Sims . as I said before he is still very good just he was great before and not great of late. I hope he is ok within himself as he seems to have lost some fire.
4-Pleasantly surprised with Fui. Hunt was a boss
5-OK interesting
6-I love seeing him run I hope he is not kept too quiet
7-sounds good
8-Agree

Gardenia

Juniors

The commentators even said to leave the bench players on there it was noticable. Loving this Alvaro it was funny/positive to see him run. I love seeing the forwards have a run.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Great signs from last night. They appear to be playing for Griffin and each other and when that happens its like they have an extra player out there. Just want to see the consistency continue to build starting with Manly. Those early drop balls from Lawrie and Vaughan were forgivable, however, eliminating these out of the game would reduce unnecessary pressure. Some of these guys are really just starting to develop and recognise what they can do particularly with the ball in our hand. One game at a time and enjoying the win and great to see the continual improvement.
And I hope hook keeps BIRD and LOMAX and we have a tremendous pair reminiscent Cooper and Gasnier GO THE BIG RED V.....

kit66

Bench
Point 2..
Give him time it is his 2nd game back from injury and in the season proper.
Take about 4-5 weeks to get used to the pace and speed and have fitness level where they need to be

Yeah, maybe it was the heat up there, I noticed in the stats that Alvaro went back on at the end there to give Sims a rest ( I thought he played 80mins ). We've got Manly next Friday then a couple of tough games against Newie and Parra so hopefully Mac's game fitness is on the up before then. Nothing wrong with his defence or work ethic though, I just thought he needed a rest.

Maddragon99

Juniors
de Belin was one of the best Lock’s in the NRL before his suspension & I still think Lock is his best position. But I’m totally in favour of him earning his way back, he’s dragged our brand through the mud for the past 2 1/2 years so he doesn’t deserve to be automatically considered for first grade.

kit66

Bench
de Belin was one of the best Lock’s in the NRL before his suspension & I still think Lock is his best position. But I’m totally in favour of him earning his way back, he’s dragged our brand through the mud for the past 2 1/2 years so he doesn’t deserve to be automatically considered for first grade.

I couldn't agree more. He's a great lock. Early 2018 with the crackdown on the ruck he excelled in the faster power game, good strong hit ups, fast play the balls and in defence very mobile and hit like a hammer. Him and Fui lock rotation. If they insist on him playing prop then Po loses out I'm afraid - until, and if, Hook rests some big men during the season and gives Ellis, Blacker, Po a run.

Dragonsrock

Juniors
Hi All,

A couple of things, JDB has to get off his charges to do anything. My partner is a judge and is of the opinion that the prosecution must believe they can win as it costs money to run a trial and to go back again, they have to at least believe they can win???? He might get off, but its no certainty.

In any case, it was good to get 2 points, but we need to remember we were not playing a premiership favourite, lucky they made as many mistakes as we did.

I was pleased about all the good things we did and thrilled that we defended over three sets on our line and got through, I believe the boys will take some confidence from this, even if they do not, it has been. long time since I have seen them so committed...well done Dragons and well done the coaching staff!

BTW...I thought Norman had a decent game, not that he should be applauded for doing his job, but he went okay.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah, maybe it was the heat up there, I noticed in the stats that Alvaro went back on at the end there to give Sims a rest ( I thought he played 80mins ). We've got Manly next Friday then a couple of tough games against Newie and Parra so hopefully Mac's game fitness is on the up before then. Nothing wrong with his defence or work ethic though, I just thought he needed a rest.
He is also got a bit of a cork to the hip or loweer back area. Iced up after the game

Latest posts