Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Cowboys

Dragons154

My 2 cents...

Again, every minute under hook see’s continual improvement. If we eliminate 50% of our errors then we win that game by 30+ points imo.

our defence is also improving, the last 15 minutes we were absolutely pinned on our goal line. We would of cracked under Mary and lost that game.

Benny hunt is showing what a class player he is under Hook, the C next to his name and AM taking the pressure off of him has been enormous.

Fui is a beast

Rava’s hands are as safe as houses

Blocker, Alvaro and Merrin have impressed

Kerr is starting to work out the edge position.

Biggest negative for me is Dufty. His D is disgusting. I know Lomax should of contested the kick for the Cowboys first try, but Dufty literally watched Hess fall over the try line, and yes I’m aware that even if Dufty contested that would of still more than likely resulted in a try, but the effort wasn’t even their. Shows a lack of heart. He near on takes a voluntary tackle every kick return he takes and he always looks Susa under a high ball. Unless he improves I’d be surprised if we fight to keep him

Dion

Have not watched the game , but have seen clips on Foxsports , a few fumbles in the 1st half that gave the cowboys a try .

The tackle on Bird was , IMO was damn dangerous , deserving of at least 10 minutes in the bin .

Geeze Andrew McCullough reminds me of a that scheming hooker who recently retired from the game in as much as he truly knows how to organize the plays from the dummy-half position .

Our pack went forward for the first time in years due to a huge improvement from our halves , giving plenty of room to the backs to attack .

And finally wasn’t it nice to see Griffin wearing his heart on his sleeve in his Dragon jersey during the game ?
The most pleasing thing for me was our defense out wide.
Bird/Lomax compared to Lafai/Aitkin is a huge boost for the psyche of the team.
Ravalawa has improved out of sight under the high ball.
Obvious improvement around the ruck with McCulloch proving to be a masterful signing for a change.
Chasm in coaching aptitude compared to McGregor.
Finally something to look forward to.

Overseas dragon

Obvious improvement around the ruck with McCulloch proving to be a masterful signing for a change.
And so say all of us GO THE BIG RED V

Illusion

Mary put us all through hell the last 3 years ...... Even with loosing players Mary will be shown up by Hook .....

Spazer

Biggest negative for me is Dufty. His D is disgusting. I know Lomax should of contested the kick for the Cowboys first try, but Dufty literally watched Hess fall over the try line, and yes I’m aware that even if Dufty contested that would of still more than likely resulted in a try, but the effort wasn’t even their. Shows a lack of heart. He near on takes a voluntary tackle every kick return he takes and he always looks Susa under a high ball. Unless he improves I’d be surprised if we fight to keep him
What are your thoughts on his two try savers on the try line against the cows? Good ability to wrap the ball up in the tackle to prevent the opposition from grounding the ball. It shows his D can be good and bad at times just like Lomax, he just needs to show this urgency more consistently.

Illusion

What are your thoughts on his two try savers on the try line against the cows? Good ability to wrap the ball up in the tackle to prevent the opposition from grounding the ball. It shows his D can be good and bad at times just like Lomax, he just needs to show this urgency more consistently.
Mate agree he would be in my team , he needs to work on his positional play and needs more Mongrel bring the ball back ...... When he has no where to go he Surrender's too easy that's why he gets rag dolled ...... For me he needs to be some where in the team whether starting or coming on from the bench .....

Scanlens

Mate agree he would be in my team , he needs to work on his positional play and needs more Mongrel bring the ball back ...... When he has no where to go he Surrender's too easy that's why he gets rag dolled ...... For me he needs to be some where in the team whether starting or coming on from the bench .....

In regard to his positional play, he needs to keep his focus for the whole game. Valentine Holmes spotted him having a breather instead of following the ball - VH wouldn't have done his kick through to score if Dufty was where he should have been.

redv13

In regard to his positional play, he needs to keep his focus for the whole game. Valentine Holmes spotted him having a breather instead of following the ball - VH wouldn't have done his kick through to score if Dufty was where he should have been.
Spot on. That’s where Dufty lets himself down besides the dropped bombs. Just those few seconds switching off where he comes unstuck. If he can improve with that and his catching then very happy days

Scanlens

Spot on. That’s where Dufty lets himself down besides the dropped bombs. Just those few seconds switching off where he comes unstuck. If he can improve with that and his catching then very happy days

Yeah, still a lot of positives to having him in the team. And he's still so much more committed than Luciano Leilua. Watching him on the weekend jog back to chase the Roosters attackers who'd just cut through the Tigers left side made me feel a heck of a lot better about him deciding to leave the Dragons.

I agree but his brother was even worse
I reckon BJ Won’t have much longer in first grade under McGuire the way he’s going

You are right, and that's the point. It is not only the tackles Dufty misses or the high balls he does not take, it is also the poor positional play that can lead to opposition tries.

Illusion

You are right, and that's the point. It is not only the tackles Dufty misses or the high balls he does not take, it is also the poor positional play that can lead to opposition tries.
Your right possum , for me he seems to just dawdle along with not much urgency ...... The only time you see him switch on is when he is in the open ..... He needs to be a lot more aggressive with everything else he does ..... Hit the line hard when getting off his line , make the tacklers have to make a tackle not just run to them and put the white flag up ......

Williame or any outside back is a must on the bench. If Bird gets a bad knock (lets face it he is coming back from a serious injury and has not played much so is more likely) then the team is screwed. Having a forward playing as a centre for a long period, in this faster game is a recipe for disaster. All team should carry a back on the bench to be honest.

I suppose you can slot Fui to centre but why would you want to when you can put Feagai or Williame?

Como Connection

Williame or any outside back is a must on the bench. If Bird gets a bad knock (lets face it he is coming back from a serious injury and has not played much so is more likely) then the team is screwed. Having a forward playing as a centre for a long period, in this faster game is a recipe for disaster. All team should carry a back on the bench to be honest.

I suppose you can slot Fui to centre but why would you want to when you can put Feagai or Williame?
Williame went fine when he was on and has a bit of size to play left side forward.
CC

redv13

Williame went fine when he was on and has a bit of size to play left side forward.
CC
I admit I wasn’t happy with his selection for round 1 and even more so b4 the cows game but if he comes on and plays a 15-20 min cameo as a back rower and just rolls up the sleeves and helps give the big boys a breather then I’m ok with it. We need cover for out wide especially Bird and I’d rather that then move Fui to the centre’s cause he’s killing it in the middle and would be wasted out in the centres.

Maddragon99

My 2 cents...

Again, every minute under hook see’s continual improvement. If we eliminate 50% of our errors then we win that game by 30+ points imo.

our defence is also improving, the last 15 minutes we were absolutely pinned on our goal line. We would of cracked under Mary and lost that game.

Benny hunt is showing what a class player he is under Hook, the C next to his name and AM taking the pressure off of him has been enormous.

Fui is a beast

Rava’s hands are as safe as houses

Blocker, Alvaro and Merrin have impressed

Kerr is starting to work out the edge position.

One game doesn’t make a season so I’m still sceptical that Norman’s form from the Cow’s game will continue. At some point Sullivan should get a chance.

We’ve seen improvement from a number of players under Hook Ravalawa in particular.

Our bench lead by Alvaro has really impressed the Polar Bear has been a great addition.

Dufty hasn’t improved, he’ll need to really step up if he wants an extension. Plenty of players waiting for an opportunity Should he not step up.

Even after 2wks we’ve seen a significant team improvement under Hook & Co. imagine the enterprising footy we’ll be playing after 12wks. Perhaps Ben Hunt was right we need to be patient.

redv13

One game doesn’t make a season so I’m still sceptical that Norman’s form from the Cow’s game will continue. At some point Sullivan should get a chance.

We’ve seen improvement from a number of players under Hook Ravalawa in particular.

Our bench lead by Alvaro has really impressed the Polar Bear has been a great addition.

Dufty hasn’t improved, he’ll need to really step up if he wants an extension. Plenty of players waiting for an opportunity Should he not step up.

Even after 2wks we’ve seen a significant team improvement under Hook & Co. imagine the enterprising footy we’ll be playing after 12wks. Perhaps Ben Hunt was right we need to be patient.
I’ve been quite vocal about Dufty but I’m willing to zip it now and hope he improves each week. A confident Dufty will make me a happy supporter