What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Newcastle

Pomoz

Bench
Cleary's first try assist should have been credited to Maloney IMO. Maloney's kick fake pulled Ponga out of position - Cleary just had to catch and give the inside ball for JFH to wrong-foot Ponga.

Cleary's 2nd try assist could/should go to MWZ. Unless they give try assists for lucky bounces - even with the bounce it took something special from MWZ to keep it in play.

Maloney's kicking game was poo. Far more impressed with his defence today, particularly when he forced the errors from Watson and Lee.

Best on-field today was JFH for me today. RCG good, but JFH did it for 80 minutes. Special mention to Winterstein.
I isn't mind Maloney's kicking game to be honest. He gave away a few 7 tackle starts but our defence coped so it wasn't a problem. In fact they were treading water at times, extra tackle or not.

What it did do though, was put them under severe pressure a few times (we had 3 drop outs through his kicks and a fourth he got no credit for when he nearly got a 40/20). I wouldn't recommend that approach against a team like South's though who would roll up the field easily and would love an extra tackle, but against the right team, going for a repeat set and giving away an extra tackle is no big deal.

franklin2323

Immortal
I isn't mind Maloney's kicking game to be honest. He gave away a few 7 tackle starts but our defence coped so it wasn't a problem. In fact they were treading water at times, extra tackle or not.

What it did do though, was put them under severe pressure a few times (we had 3 drop outs through his kicks and a fourth he got no credit for when he nearly got a 40/20). I wouldn't recommend that approach against a team like South's though who would roll up the field easily and would love an extra tackle, but against the right team, going for a repeat set and giving away an extra tackle is no big deal.

How much early season rust too. Those 40/20's come off we are attacking their line. It is one thing we hopefully build from

This was not knocking Nathan at all.. I defend him 100% when post! he is still sooo young, which I think the bulk of us forget. In many parts of today's game he didn't get hands on the ball and Jimmy did a lot of the playmaking, which made me suspect the injury. Can't wait to see what he is doing for us in 3-4 years time (along with this year).

Age isn’t as relevant as experience. He has over 60 games now. We can’t wait 3-4 years for a guy being paid as much as him to realise that potential.

franklin2323

Immortal
Age isn’t as relevant as experience. He has over 60 games now. We can’t wait 3-4 years for a guy being paid as much as him to realise that potential.

That is why I enjoyed our 1st try. Actually something different instead of the normal robot like we get from him.

A bit more of that each game is all that is needed

franklin2323

Immortal
Impressive from Tamou again. RCG has shown a little but waiting to see it in the 2nd half.

Cleary 2 try assists. Has been reasonable. Though I give the first to Maloney, great work from him. And MWZ obviously deserves credit for the second.

Ice hockey has 2 players on the goal assist for times like this NRL should do the same for such tries

Crashtest

Juniors
Why is leota starting again and gillard off the bench start with your strongest 13 i dont get it didnt work last week why do it again

I totally agree with you. But Ivan gives an explanation of why in his press conference. Its worth a listen.

He said RCG coming off the bench wasn't part of his initial plans, but when they lost Kikau he was concerned about the rotations, and starting RCG on the bench means he can come on and play out the rest of the game and save an interchange spot.

Crashtest

Juniors
RCG shouldn't even be starting in NSW Cup.. He is no where near our top 13

Yesterdays performance is why comments like this about RCG seam way over the top. Shouldn't even be in NSW Cup?

When in form he is our best front rower and vital to our team. So writing him off after one bad performance in a team of bad performers, in a round 1 game, seamed crazy.

Fangs

Coach
Yesterdays performance is why comments like this about RCG seam way over the top. Shouldn't even be in NSW Cup?

When in form he is our best front rower and vital to our team. So writing him off after one bad performance in a team of bad performers, in a round 1 game, seamed crazy.

To be fair it was very over form from 2018 as well.

He certainly is vital to the team. And with Tamou playing his best football in years we are looking a lot healthier in the forwards now.

Crashtest

Juniors
And with Tamou playing his best football in years we are looking a lot healthier in the forwards now.

Tamou's form has certainly been a bonus for this season. And I think it shows the difference in coaching between Cleary and Griffin. Griffin, a noted poor communicator, drops him to the bench for lack of form. Cleary shows faith in him, gives him back his starting spot, and Tamou responds with his best form as a Panthers player.

One of Cleary's strengths as a coach has been getting the best out of his players and weak rosters. Lets hope it continues with Tamou.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Great debut by frank winterstein yesterday he didnt drop any balls didnt miss any tackles and bent the line everytime he ran will be great for us off the bench this yr.

You'd think that's the end of Tim Grant's chances of any meaningful game time this season. Him and Cleary must despise each other.

GongPanther

Referee
A brilliant bounce back from a previous week to forget. Brilliant defense, better structured attack, we even have a nomination for try of the year,and 5 wins in 6 grades made it a red letter day.

Bring on the Storm!

Panfa

Juniors
I feel for timmy grant but hes just not the same player he was a few yrs ago kaide ellis is in front of grant i think hes put on some size ellis and goes hard.

Crashtest

Juniors
You'd think that's the end of Tim Grant's chances of any meaningful game time this season. Him and Cleary must despise each other.

Maybe not. Winterstein replaced the injured Fuimaono as the bench second rower.

I think Grant's chances of getting any first grade game time will be known when there is an injury to a current middle field forward. Will Cleary select him, or bypass him for Martin or Ellis?

franklin2323

Immortal

He ave 90 odd metres a game in 2018. The key for him is to make yesterday the norm not exception..

franklin2323

Immortal
To be fair it was very over form from 2018 as well.

He certainly is vital to the team. And with Tamou playing his best football in years we are looking a lot healthier in the forwards now.

It is his best game since 2017. Lets hope he puts it together again sooner than another 18 months

Latest posts