What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons wise to Dugan's fullback switch for Sharks
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 12:17 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons players are preparing for former teammate Josh Dugan to play fullback for Cronulla Sharks in Thursday night's local derby at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

Dugan was named at right centre for the Sharks but he is set to spend some time at fullback in a backline shuffle, which involves Valentine Holmes moving to the wing after being targeted under the high ball by North Queensland Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston in the opening round.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan confirmed on Wednesday that he is planning to switch Dugan and Holmes, who scored a record six tries for Australia in the World Cup semi-final win over Fiji, between fullback and the wing on Thursday night.

A position on the wing has been vacated by rookie Sione Katoa, who suffered a broken jaw in the 20-14 loss

Dragons coach Paul McGregor told reporters at WIN Stadium on Wednesday that he wasn't concerned where Dugan played but privately the team is expecting him to switch to fullback.

"They are both talented players in whatever position they play," McGregor said of Dugan and Holmes.

"Both are very good players, both run the ball with a lot of ammunition, they have got size and speed. They are both very similar players, they like to run the footy."

Vaughan puts heat on Dugan

McGregor predicted Dugan would be keen to win against his former club but insisted there was no ill feeling between the Test star and the Dragons.

"He was very good for us over a number of years so he is going to enjoy playing against his old teammates and old coach," McGregor said. "We have just got to make sure his night isn't a good one."

While he expects Dugan would provide Sharks coach Shane Flanagan with inside information about the Dragons' playing style, he said they knew how he played.

"You know his habits, there is no doubt about that but you have got to stop him, you have got to stop the things he is good at and try to expose the things he is not so good at," he said.

"That is the same with every other player but you do know a bit more about an individual when you have coached them for a number of years."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/14...-to-josh-dugans-fullback-for-cronulla-sharks/

getsmarty

Immortal
We've got no issues with Dugan: McGregor
16x9_small

The Sharks' Josh Dugan (r) comes u against his former club St George Illawarra on Thursday. (AAP)

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor insists there are no issues with Josh Dugan ahead of the centre running out against his old club for Cronulla.

Updated Updated 1 hour ago

Paul McGregor insists there is no bad blood with Josh Dugan, heading into the Kangaroos centre's grudge match against St George Illawarra.

Dugan will play his first game against the Dragons for Cronulla on Thursday night, since leaving the Red V at the end of last year after claiming he would not receive world-class money while categorised as a centre at the club.

Dugan's final weeks at the Dragons were also controversial, after he was dropped for last year's round-25 clash with Penrith when he missed the team bus.

There were also reports the 27-year-old had failed to return home on the plane with the team from Brisbane the previous week.

But when asked on Thursday about the pair's relationship, Dragons coach McGregor insisted they were on good terms after Dugan's exit from the club.

"I am," McGregor said.

"As a professional sportsman you feel you know your own worth, and it's what happens in professional sport. Players change clubs, coaches change positions.

"With Josh he felt he required a certain amount of money which they didn't come to terms with, so he moved to another club where he got what he needed.

"I wish him all the best ... Except for tomorrow night."

Dugan scored 28 tries in 84 games for the Dragons, playing mostly at fullback in his five-year stay with brief stints in the centres at the end of 2014 and 2017.

He will shift back to the No.1 spot for much of the derby, after Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan said the role would be shared with Valentine Holmes.

The Sharks coach noticed a lift in energy from Dugan at training this week while McGregor also expected the club's former big-name back to be pumped up.

But Flanagan said that had to be kept in check after the rivals fought out two nail-biters last year.

"I talk to all the players who come up against their previous clubs, and I've been doing it for years," Flanagan said.

"It's not a personal battle, we've got to make sure we go out there and do the best thing for the team.

"If it starts to become personal then you start to lose focus on the Cronulla Sharks, you're not going to do your job."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/we-ve-got-no-issues-with-dugan-mcgregor

Bench
I see the game evenly spread in the forwards. We get the nod for our halves. Centers evenly spread. Wingers. That is our weakness Holmes is capable of killing us on the wing.
This game is going to be a test for us and McIdiot needs to have a decent bench and use it properly.
I hope Mann or Lomax on the bench and one of them needs decent time.
If McIdiot is using plan A, his power game then we need to belt their forwards.
Still think we can win but it’s going to be a hard game

gonz

Juniors
Has there been a mention on any thread to go at Dugan if his playing centre? Even though I hear he maybe at fb.?

McGregor would have to know his a liability in defence ?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
FTR I do not think Holmes was targeted as suggested.

JT was putting up those bombs regardless of who was wearing Number 1.

The fact Holmes looked like he had never caught a ball ended up a good result for them.

watatank

Coach
Robson and Lawrie drop off the bench.

NRL squad for Round 2 v Sharks:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Destination Wollongong
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

14. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by Westfund
17. Hame Sele – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Jeremy Latimore
19. Zac Lomax

kit66

Bench
The Sharkies would be crazy not put one of the leagues best wingers, Holmes, back in his rightful place for this game. Our edges are our weakness, especially our left.
Should be brutal up front, a great match up these two packs. I think our halves can get us home ( I can't remember the last time I said that with any real belief or confidence - feels good ! ).

Saints by 8

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am tipping us to win in my tipping comps. I tipped us last week too. I am pretty confident about our chances tomorrow night and I am very happy that Cronulla are playing Dugan at fullback too. I think the bookies may have got this game wrong. I think we should be favourites. Compare our spine to Cronulla's. I think our spine is much better than their's. I think we have better players in every position of the spine.

Last year, I don't think I tipped us to win any of our opening games. When I finally did start tipping us, we then started to lose. I think it may have been the Anzac Day game against Easts that I started to tip us. I pretty much tip, who I think should be favourites.

I remember last year when we got off to that unexpected great start to the season and I had people asking me if I thought we could win the comp. I laughed at them and said, "No, we don't have a halfback and our fullback can't pass the ball or score tries himself". With the signing of Hunt and Dufty at fullback, I am a lot more confident about our prospects this year. I don't think we will win the comp, but I think we will be in the top 6.

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-18030841nh.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL team changes: Round 2 v Sharks
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 14 Mar 2018, 08:05 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' local derby clash with the Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks at Southern Cross Group Stadium on Thursday, March 15.

Blake Lawrie and Reece Robson are the unlucky duo to miss out on a team hell-bent to recapture the Monty Porter Cup.

NRL squad for Round 2 v Sharks:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Destination Wollongong
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by Westfund
17. Hame Sele – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Jeremy Latimore
19. Zac Lomax

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/14/nrl-team-changes-round-2-v-sharks/

BennyV

Referee
I am tipping us to win in my tipping comps. I tipped us last week too. I am pretty confident about our chances tomorrow night and I am very happy that Cronulla are playing Dugan at fullback too. I think the bookies may have got this game wrong. I think we should be favourites. Compare our spine to Cronulla's. I think our spine is much better than their's. I think we have better players in every position of the spine.

Last year, I don't think I tipped us to win any of our opening games. When I finally did start tipping us, we then started to lose. I think it may have been the Anzac Day game against Easts that I started to tip us. I pretty much tip, who I think should be favourites.

I remember last year when we got off to that unexpected great start to the season and I had people asking me if I thought we could win the comp. I laughed at them and said, "No, we don't have a halfback and our fullback can't pass the ball or score tries himself". With the signing of Hunt and Dufty at fullback, I am a lot more confident about our prospects this year. I don't think we will win the comp, but I think we will be in the top 6.
I thought it was Top 5! Could that confidence we shaking...???