What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Rabbits

Crush

Coach
So who
This was always going to be a real rebuilding year (unlike the previous 8) so I'll reverse judgement until next year.

The BBQ cooked our season and what little chance we had of creeping into the 8, we are in the midst of a huge clean out and getting rid of some serious deadwood in our club: Vaughn, Dufty, Norman to name a few.

I say we just blood all out youngster now and forget about the 8 get the young blood playing as much FG as possible now especially with the reserves now dead in the water again.
I completely agree.
If Norman, Dufty, Beale, Ellis are named even once more this year it’ll be very poor selection. They shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 17 anymore.
Forget this season, look to the future.

BLM01

First Grade
Sloan missed his assignment too plenty of times tonight but he’s the new forum fave, Amone missed a few and also saved some tries. Pretty hard for a 6 to show what they have got 3 games in to a career with barely any match fitness against a competition heavyweight and behind a badly beaten pack. He spent all night basically tackling Sua, and I thought he was pretty tenacious and made plenty of good tackles. The team was out of their depth completely. He was far from the only player who didn’t show any high level skill in our side.
Sullivan also got targeted in defence but that is all part of NRL, he handled it well

BLM01

First Grade
Sloan and Mat Feagai imo have deadset solidified themselves in the 1 and 2 jerseys next year

Amone I also believe is a genuine first grader but we still need to find his best position

Sullivan I’m still questioning but I believe behind an actual first grade forward pack he could shine

Kerr needs to be used as a prop off the bench no more of this back row bullshit

Fuimaono and Beale should join Norman , Dufty and Ellis out the door

Ford , Fa’amusili and Burns should join Alvaro as reserve grade forwards next year
but but..Billy played alright

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, I would say I was proud of the efforts of MOST of our boys tonight. Never really shirked the task and it was only being extremely gassed did the Bunnies rack up the score, in fact in an 11 min period ie from the 68th to the 79th min, they scored 24 points, unfairly blowing out the score.

Now a few observations:
Fuimaono, was probably our best player for the first 25 mins, however, once he fatigues he gets very loose in both attack and defense.
Macca is not an 80 min hooker and does give away silly '6 agains' when fatigued.
Burns really warming into his work as a back rower. Scored a good opportunist try, great offload to Sloan for him to score and made 36 tackles.
Hunt continues to show the way, but lacks support from up front.
Norman I presume was auditioning for some ballet company.
Poasa is a real disappointment to me, in 24 mins on field he made only 2 runs, only 12 pcm and made 24 tackles but missed 4.
Ellis had his best game for the club.

Let's see the result when we play them again in a couple of weeks, hopefully then with our full squad.

getsmarty

Immortal
Firstly, I would say I was proud of the efforts of MOST of our boys tonight. Never really shirked the task and it was only being extremely gassed did the Bunnies rack up the score, in fact in an 11 min period ie from the 68th to the 79th min, they scored 24 points, unfairly blowing out the score.

Now a few observations:
Fuimaono, was probably our best player for the first 25 mins, however, once he fatigues he gets very loose in both attack and defense.
Macca is not an 80 min hooker and does give away silly '6 agains' when fatigued.
Burns really warming into his work as a back rower. Scored a good opportunist try, great offload to Sloan for him to score and made 36 tackles.
Poasa is a real disappointment to me, in 24 mins on field he made only 2 runs, only 12 pcm and made 24 tackles but missed 4.

Let's see the result when we play them again in a couple of weeks, hopefully then with our full squad.

Good summary...

I'm Hornby

Juniors
The thing that did disappoint me tonight was the initial contact we make when we tackle the opposition

Doesn’t seem that we have enough leg drive and we look to be a tad to high to be effective in stopping their momentum

For sure mate, this is a big problem that doesn't get enough of a mention.

I hope our improved forward pack in season 2022 hit hard in defence so we can limit the running meters of the opposition without watching 3 guys struggle to bring one bloke to the ground.

mickeylane

Bench
I understand that criticism can be necessary and important at times, but please guys, do not be harsh on Sloan, Amone and Sullivan. The three of them have barely played any first grade, yet were absolutely thrown into three very important roles against a pretty much full-strength South Sydney team. Amone has never played centre in the juniors. Sloan hasn't played fullback at the top grade and actually played more wing in SG Ball. Sullivan's been out all year with injury and played like 2 games of reserve grade. And guess what? The three of them are all under the age of 20. PLEASE for the love of this club do not turn them into whipping boys! They're just teenagers and are trying their best out there, demonstrating a much better dedication to the jersey than half of the 'seasoned professionals' in the team.
I think Sloan is our future 1 as always felt that your 1 had to be a little special and fearless

I think Amone potentially is our no. 6 as any 6 has to be durable and skilled which I think he is

Sullivan at 7 is a big maybe as I always feel that your 7 has to be the superstar of the team - I just can’t see those qualities but maybe they will appear over the next few years one things for sure though - he’s not a 6 - so don’t play him there!

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Re: forwards - the more the better!
For me next season I’d have Burgess and Kerr coming off the bench with high impact shorter minutes in the middle of the game. Without any more purchases in the pack my bench would be 14.Burns
15.Burgess
16.Kerr
17.McGuire
A decent bench I reckon, McGuire can play a bit of hooker, Burns covers the outside backs if needed and if Sua doesn’t play 80 Burns can come on late and cause some problems with his speed and hole running.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Now a few observations:

With Poasa I just don’t get it. He runs so hard and tackles well. Such a waste. I wonder why he only had two hit ups? Surely some of that is on Macca? On that form Ellis has cemented himself next week for sure.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
For me next season I’d have Burgess and Kerr coming off the bench with high impact shorter minutes in the middle of the game. Without any more purchases in the pack my bench would be 14.Burns
15.Burgess
16.Kerr
17.McGuire
A decent bench I reckon, McGuire can play a bit of hooker, Burns covers the outside backs if needed and if Sua doesn’t play 80 Burns can come on late and cause some problems with his speed and hole running.
Well i’d have Burgess and maybe Burns off the bench and i’d keep looking.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Who was the gun centre that you had in mind that we should have signed?

IMO Beale will play reggies next year and help the young ones coming through which is also part of the plan we need to put in place

We have left our young up and comers to their own devices for far too long they also need lots of help before they get to the top grade
No idea mate. I’m sure our recruitment team could’ve done a thorough search. Not sure what Beale could teach an up and comer in my opinion. If they need an outside back to teach youngsters, then give M Cooper a go. If anyone knows how to be a gun centre then it’s him. That’s just my opinion.

saintly1996

Juniors
Farmer has been a major flop, not sure what is wrong there. Him and Ford have been on the outer all year.

I know we have added Su'a Molo and Burgess, but given Burgess is coming back after a long layoff, we are still need 2 more forwards is 1st grade standard

mightydragon

Juniors
I understand that criticism can be necessary and important at times, but please guys, do not be harsh on Sloan, Amone and Sullivan. The three of them have barely played any first grade, yet were absolutely thrown into three very important roles against a pretty much full-strength South Sydney team. Amone has never played centre in the juniors. Sloan hasn't played fullback at the top grade and actually played more wing in SG Ball. Sullivan's been out all year with injury and played like 2 games of reserve grade. And guess what? The three of them are all under the age of 20. PLEASE for the love of this club do not turn them into whipping boys! They're just teenagers and are trying their best out there, demonstrating a much better dedication to the jersey than half of the 'seasoned professionals' in the team.
Souths had 7 out last night. They were nowhere near full strength and barely got out of first gear. Amone and Sullivan missed 15 tackles between them, welcome to the NRL. They can only get better when they finally get to play in position and behind a decent forward pack. One forward (Fuimaiono) cracked 100m. Jayden Hunt played 10 mins. Poasa is the real disappointment. He will be lucky to get a run next year.