What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins vs. Penrith Panthers
Kayo Stadium, Sunday 16 July 2023
Kick Off: 4:05pm

DOL2022TEAM.png

1. Kodi Nikorima 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Euan Aitken 4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 5. Tesi Niu 6. Isaiya Katoa 7. Sean O'Sullivan 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harrison Graham 10. Kenny Bromwich 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Connelly Lemuelu 13. Ray Stone

14. Herman Ese'ese 15. Mark Nicholls 16. Anthony Milford 17. Jarrod Wallace

18. Josh Kerr 19. Valynce Te Whare 20. Poasa Faamausili 21. Brenko Lee 22. Kurt Donoghoe

PEN2022TEAM.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Jack Cogger 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Scott Sorensen 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo

14. Soni Luke 15. Lindsay Smith 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Jaeman Salmon

18. Zac Hosking 19. Matt Eisenhuth 20. Luke Garner 21. Tyrone Peachey 22. Thomas Jenkins 23. Jesse Maclean 24. Nathan Cleary​

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Tabuai-Fidow & Kaufusi should return with Marshall-King an outside chance. From my understanding, Marshall-King will be monitered and given every opportunity but likely won't play until the Round 22 clash against the Bulldogs.

It will be interesting to see if Bennett tries to play Tabuai-Fidow in the centres. They had some success with it against the Broncos in the first half but it seemed like the Broncos adjusted to it and the Hammer was struggling for good ball. Kodi didn't exactly have the best second half either and his inability to defuse bombs allowed the Broncos to claw their way back into the contest when Dolphins had the better of play for the opening 20 or so minutes of that second half.

There's six games left in the season and the Dolphins will need to win at least five to guarantee their spot in the eight. A win against Penrith would go a long way but it's a tough ask against not only the best squad but the most dominant squad of the NRL era.

MugaB

Coach
Tabuai-Fidow & Kaufusi should return with Marshall-King an outside chance. From my understanding, Marshall-King will be monitered and given every opportunity but likely won't play until the Round 22 clash against the Bulldogs.

It will be interesting to see if Bennett tries to play Tabuai-Fidow in the centres. They had some success with it against the Broncos in the first half but it seemed like the Broncos adjusted to it and the Hammer was struggling for good ball. Kodi didn't exactly have the best second half either and his inability to defuse bombs allowed the Broncos to claw their way back into the contest when Dolphins had the better of play for the opening 20 or so minutes of that second half.

There's six games left in the season and the Dolphins will need to win at least five to guarantee their spot in the eight. A win against Penrith would go a long way but it's a tough ask against not only the best squad but the most dominant squad of the NRL era.
I have to say, good luck as this game is against my team, but as long as you guys can defend, it wont be a smash up... penrith aren't the titans, and hopefully you don't drop places due to for and against

Big Pete

Referee
Tabuai-Fidow has been named in the centres for Sunday's clash against the Penrith Panthers. He'll be joined by Felise Kaufusi who returns after he suffered a concussion against the Broncos.

Interestingly Te Whare makes way for Tabuai-Fidow. I think it's the right call because defence is key and Te Whare is still developing that aspect of his game. Still, it wouldn't shock me if he was a late inclusion off the bench just to give Bennett some options.

Big Pete

Referee
Penrith Panthers 24 def. Dolphins 14 (Kodi Nikorima, Connelly Lemuelu, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow tries; Jamayne Isaako 1/3 goals)

8-10

The Dolphins did well to stay in the contest. They gave up three tries in the opening 20 minutes, all of which were pretty soft but just kept rolling with the punches until they took a surprising lead late in the contest. Frustratingly, they surrendered the lead off the back of some poor play and lax defence.

The bench did a good job of shifting momentum. The injection of K. Bromwich, Wallace and Ese'ese created inroads in the middle of the Panthers and allowed the strike weapons to come into the game. Lemuelu's piece of individual brilliance brought the game to life and both Kaufusi and Stone put up some resistance in defence.

Bennett made a curious selection when he picked Te Whare on the wing. I'd imagine he just wanted to give Niu a spell and give Val an opportunity but the Panthers got around him too easily and he didn't pose as much a threat out-wide. Despite having Tabuai-Fidow, Bennett persisted with the move the entire game.

Neither half had their best games. I like the shape and composure O'Sullivan brings to the side, but his execution was poor this afternoon as were some of his defensive efforts. Milford struggled to make an impact in this contest and the only play I can remember was picking up a difficult long pass to give Aitken a brief 2-1.

The final bye is coming up next week before the run home. Redcliffe will also receive a bye, so it'll be interesting to see if any players are picked for the Capras.

Puff

First Grade
SOS is not good enough.

Our short comings in other areas are slowly being fixed for next year.

However, I am hoping a 7 merrygoround happens with Ben Hunt and something comes our way.

Puff

First Grade
Unfortunately they have no other option. 7's are at a premium and there aren't many good ones around. So for now, he is the best they have.
I know he is the best we have. However, he is not good enough, and if we are to be serious, we will in something different next year.

He missed 3 tackles on 1 center for a Penrith try, and that's just his defense.

League guru

Juniors
I know he is the best we have. However, he is not good enough, and if we are to be serious, we will in something different next year.

So who do you suggest? He is as good as some of the blokes in England that are being chased by other clubs. Adam Sezer, Jake Clifford, Blake Austin, Brodie Croft etc.

MugaB

Coach

Tago will do that to 2nd rowers, being a halfback wouldn't have mattered much

Puff

First Grade
So who do you suggest? He is as good as some of the blokes in England that are being chased by other clubs. Adam Sezer, Jake Clifford, Blake Austin, Brodie Croft etc.
As I said above, hopefully Hunt moves and causes a few displacements and someone becomes available.

Sam Walker, whilst he has the same defence as SOS, is a much better half at a younger age. He was dropped a while ago. Has Brisbane and Wayne connections in the family. I’d much prefer a younger project, then a player that is never going to be.

League guru

Juniors
As I said above, hopefully Hunt moves and causes a few displacements and someone becomes available.

Sam Walker, whilst he has the same defence as SOS, is a much better half at a younger age. He was dropped a while ago. Has Brisbane and Wayne connections in the family. I’d much prefer a younger project, then a player that is never going to be.
I doubt that Wayne has much sway with the Walkers. He systematically bushed them all from the Broncos. Maybe the reason Sam went to Easts and not the Bronks in the first place.

Puff

First Grade
I doubt that Wayne has much sway with the Walkers. He systematically bushed them all from the Broncos. Maybe the reason Sam went to Easts and not the Bronks in the first place.
Ah true, I dont know much about the history.