What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21-26 Schedule

johns_reds

First Grade
I think that it is accurate

It has been confirmed by Souths that the Rabbitohs v Knights match will be played in Cairns on Sunday 3rd August and that is exactly where the match is listed as the Channel 9 match on the PDF version of the draw.

I think so too, I doubt there will be many changes to what was posted, also on the broncs site they have the date/day on the fixture just not the kick off time yet.

Last edited:
Also I forgot to add

I will say that when it comes to Round 23 - there are 3 matches scheduled for ANZ Stadium.

Souths v Broncos on the Thursday and Eels v Bulldogs on the Friday seems right on the money from a Channel 9 point of view.

The Tigers v Roosters match is also being played there but cannot be on the Saturday due to the Rugby Union Bledisloe Cup which is also being played at ANZ Stadium that night.

TheFrog

Coach
I think that it is accurate

It has been confirmed by Souths that the Rabbitohs v Knights match will be played in Cairns on Sunday 3rd August and that is exactly where the match is listed as the Channel 9 match on the PDF version of the draw.

Why would you show a nothing match like this when you've got two Top 4 sides playing in Sydney at the same time?

I was expecting this, nice troll. They have a better chance than Newcastle, you must agree.

Not trolling at all and it certainly wasn't meant to be a swipe at the Panthers (they are having a great season)

However it is a bit presumptuous for you to refer to the Bulldogs v Panthers match as a top 4 battle when the comp ladder is close this season.

Of course both of those teams will be higher than the Knights and both may even be higher than Souths at that point.

You have to remember that TV scheduling is not always about the positioning of the teams, it's about the ratings they can attract, which in turn helps them sell their advertising.

Last year when Parramatta were at the bottom of the table they still attracted good tv ratings, hence why they frequently featured on Channel 9's coverage during the back half of the season.

Souths are another team that always attract good ratings.

I remember reading an article late last season when the sports boss of Channel 9 said his dream grand final for ratings would be Souths vs Brisbane.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
However it is a bit presumptuous for you to refer to the Bulldogs v Panthers match as a top 4 battle when the comp ladder is close this season.

At this moment, it's 2 vs 5. The draw comes out after Round 16, I believe. The Bulldogs have a bye. Manly, Roosters and Rabbitohs all have tough games. Panthers going to NZ is tough too. There's every chance it will be 2 vs 4 by the time it's announced.

Which makes no difference. Clearly its a much more attractive game than Souths vs Newcastle in Cairns which is likely to be a cakewalk. And we've had the Rabbitohs shoved down our throats sideways on FTA this year, after all. I'm sick of seeing them.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
So with Thursday games the last 4 rounds I'm guessing there's Sunday night games and no Mondays?

It's still got a 4 date range for the rounds

Actually appears there's still a Monday night game in round 25, cowboys v sharks in Townsville

Last edited:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ls-and-wests-tigers-games-20140624-zskhz.html

Broadcasters fight for Parramatta Eels and Wests Tigers games

Broadcasters are battling to cash in on the resurgent Parramatta and Wests Tigers as they begin horse-trading games in the search for ratings.

While the NRL bowed to pressure to lock in the majority of the schedule to give fans certainty, there is still the possibility of Fox Sports and the Nine Network switching matches in the final six rounds.

While the draw for those fixtures hasn’t been made public, they have been tentatively locked in to spots.

The matches likely to cause the most jockeying between the host broadcasters are in round 24.

It’s understood the Nine Network will screen Brisbane against Newcastle on Thursday night, South Sydney against North Queensland on Friday and Penrith versus Melbourne on Sunday.

However, there is a desire to show the Eels-Manly and Canterbury-Tigers games – currently slated for Fox – on free-to-air television.

The issue is coming to a head as the parties are working through the schedule at present, with a decision likely next week.

The Eels and Tigers finished last and second-last respectively last year and were a tough sell for both broadcasters.

Despite being a ratings drag, Parramatta were shown by Nine four times in the final six rounds, when the network couldn’t trade them off.

But now the two Sydney teams are the most in demand, with long-suffering fans desperately keen to witness what would be the most unlikely of finals appearances.

The Eels will also feature in one of the biggest games in the run home to the finals, against arch rivals Canterbury in round 23.

The game currently sits in Nine’s Friday night spot, but could be switched with the Thursday night Broncos-Souths fixture.

Parramatta’s preference is to move it to Sunday, where a crowd of more than 50,000 would be expected at ANZ Stadium.

That would also give the wooden spooners time to recover from their previous fixture, a ‘‘home’’ game against Canberra they have taken to Darwin.

Nine also has the rights to the Storm-Cronulla game on Sunday, but is desperate to offload it in favour of the Foundation Cup decider between the Tigers and Roosters, currently in the Monday night slot.

However, Fox would demand something in return for such an arrangement. Fox would likely retain Parramatta’s Saturday night matches against Cronulla and Canberra.

The last one – in which Canberra coach Ricky Stuart faces his former club – could create unprecedented interest if the Eels need to win it to make the top eight.

‘‘The Eels have been the surprise packet – they could be very hot property if they continue on their run,’’ an insider said.

‘‘It wasn’t expected they would be in contention after the last couple of years.’’

South Sydney is a sure-fire television hit and, at present, will feature on free-to-air TV in all six of their final matches. Their round-22 game against Manly will be played on the SCG and is pencilled in on Friday, but the prospect of the old rivals playing on a Sunday afternoon would be appealing to the clubs and the NRL, with a larger attendance assured.

Souths will close the season like they started it, with a match against the Roosters, which is expected to rate highly on Friday night. That too, could be shifted to Sunday.

Fox Sports has the majority of Tigers games in their run home, including their round-24 battle with the Bulldogs. However, that could be a strong bargaining chip for the other games they desire.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"With a decision likely next week"

This article looks horribly like Adrian has found the draw document and is merely pondering a bunch of stuff based on it and some ratings data.

If he did even the most basic research he'd know the NRL confirmed it is next week when this schedule is released.

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ds-of-nrl-season/story-fnj45km6-1226975024968

Thursday night NRL will return for the final four rounds of the premiership, live on Channel Nine.

The details of the final six rounds of the playing schedule are expected to be released this afternoon.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph online that Nine will televise live football in rounds 23,24,25 and 26 on Thursday nights.

The NRL and Nine are debating the round 23 Thursday night game.

Nine wants the Bulldogs-Eels blockbuster at ANZ Stadium but the NRL wants the Rabbitohs against the Broncos.

The opening Thursday night game of the season between the Roosters and the Rabbitohs drew a poor crowd of only 27,000.

The NRL and stadium officials blamed it on the fact it was a school night.

Details of the full schedule for the final six rounds are expected to be release later this afternoon.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thursday night NRL will return for the final four rounds of the premiership, live on Channel Nine.

The details of the final six rounds of the playing schedule are expected to be released this afternoon.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph online that Nine will televise live football in rounds 23,24,25 and 26 on Thursday nights.

The NRL and Nine are debating the round 23 Thursday night game.

Nine wants the Bulldogs-Eels blockbuster at ANZ Stadium but the NRL wants the Rabbitohs against the Broncos.

The opening Thursday night game of the season between the Roosters and the Rabbitohs drew a poor crowd of only 27,000.

The NRL and stadium officials blamed it on the fact it was a school night.

Details of the full schedule for the final six rounds are expected to be release later this afternoon.

And yet we're still having Thursday night football on the remaining rounds. :?

I dont mind having Thursday nights on the odd occassions, say if Friday is a public holiday, opening round and also final round.

I think last year there were poor crowds on Thursday night in Rounds 3 to 5, hence why they didnt have it this year.

Timmah

Staff member
I think in the final rounds it's a risk worth taking. The early rounds it was horrid.

Latest posts