What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - Eels vs Rabbitohs: Friday 6th August 8:05pm @Cbus Super Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Yewwwwwww!!! Now that is a win to jump up and down about!! Super happy tonight!! I know Parra were pretty average at times but they're still in the top four so it's a big scalp. To absolutely dominate a fellow top four side is no mean feat.

I just loved how we went about our business tonight. Passion, agression, attention to detail, it was near perfect Footy. The first 20 minutes is what pleased me the most about that performance. Throughout that period, Parra were playing great and the game still had that to four intensity. However, we absorbed all that and came out on top.

I'm not too annoyed about the tries we conceded either as it was only two and they weren't soft tries.

Just so good to see our boys put on a performance like that in a big game. We just fired a warning shot.

Very happy tonight!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
When speaking of the champions, one stands above the rest
Of glories old and records proud, when often put
to test
Of fine traditions, history, that others cannot best
They wear the Red and Green

Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney marches on
They mauled the Balmain Tigers
Slew the Dragons from St. George
The Seagulls and the Mounties next
Were crushed by mighty force
They humbled Parramatta
And the Berries in due course
South Sydney marches on
They plucked the Western Magpies
Slashed the Newtown bag of blue
The Eastern Suburbs Rooster crowed
And then was conquered too
The greatest name in any game
Within South Sydney grew
South Sydney marches on

ALTOGETHER NOW

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: A night out once again, this time against much tougher opposition. He was incolved in everything with strong kick returns and some tough hit ups at various times throughout the game. Had a couple runs in the second half where he made a half break and threatened to go straight through with his power. His work out the back on our shifts was the highlight of his performance though, it was absolutely beautiful to watch. Constantly throwing perfect passes out to the left and they were spot on everytime which created chances. The best was obviously the freakish no-look try assist for Mansour's second. was doing it on the right too with a couple of peaches to Paulo, one of which saw him pick up a try. Aside from that was safe under the high ball and his positional play was spot on. Well done Trell!

Mansour: The best game he's played in a Red and Green jumper so far. He was brilliant!! Coming into the game, many of us had question marks over his catches in the back field and apart from letting a couple bounce (which I was disappointed with, not good enough), he did pretty well in this area and he managed to defuse the rest. He also didn't put a foot wrong in defence which was another question mark. In fact, he had a few great reads to shut down a couple of their dangerous plays down our left. Aside from that, his running game was extremely strong, running for a HUGE 254 meters (the top in our side) and scored two awesome tries. Sauce was one of our best last night.

Gagai: A very strong game for Gags. As he always does, he got through plenty of the tough stuff. Constantly making runs out of our own end, constantly looking for work. It was this tough stuff that saw him gain just on 140 meters which is a big effort. Looked dangerous when he had a bit of room to move, even made a line break off one of Mansour's offloads. Speaking of Sauce, Gags put him over for our first try and that was great hands from him. he then scored one of his own of that Cody grubber which was great work to slip in behind his opposite, take the kick and then put on a great show of strength to get over. Finally, no complaints with his work without the ball, he was awesome there too. I particularly enjoyed his efforts on the kick chase.

Milne: With the ball he was very good. Plenty of strong carries to get us up over the advantage line and he looked a real threat with a bit of space. He started the movement for Paulo's first try in the second half with that awesome offload. However, he didn't impress me in defence. It's hard to critcise players after such a great win and Taane has been awesome for us this year but he deserves a bit of critcism for his defensive performance last night. Looked all at sea few times and the Eels found a bit of joy down that side. He was constantly jamming in when he didn't really need too which created space, at one time leading to their first try, and when he did come in and actually make contact, it was a high tackle. So not a good night for him on defence.

Paulo: Jaxson has copped plenty of flack from myself and others on forums however, he deserves a lot of praise for his efforts in this one as he really stepped up. Against a fellow top four side, he finally had a great game and finally looked like a genuine first grader. No issues at all under the high ball which we were all worried about. In fact, he had some really good takes on a few tough Moses bombs. Didn't do anything wrong in defence as a lot of the space Parra found down our right was due to Taane and there wasn't much Jaxson could do. Finally really rolled his sleeves up and got dirty running the ball too. i was happy with how involved he was and all his runs were quality. Rewarded with two great tries. This is now the benchmark for Jaxson and hopefully he can continue to play like that.

Walker: His sublime run of form continues!! Once again he was brilliant last night. Constantly scheming, constantly coming up with the right option, constantly puting other into space and constantly looking dangerous himself. That first try was all him as it was fantastic vision to realise where the space was, step back off his right and go down the short side for a try. Was involved in basically every play we put on wide and executed his role to perfection. Came up with another try assist with that beautiful short grubber to put Gags in, you don't see tiny kicks like that very often and once again, I was just in awe of some of the touches he had. All class. Strong defence too, nothing got past him and I particularly loved the try he saved mid way through the second half where he scrambled back to get his hand to a ball that Ryan matterson was nearly certain to score off. Another good night for Cody.

Reynolds: We had so many good performers last night but Reyno was 'the man' in my eyes. A masterclass in playmaking as he created so much space for us all night, digging into the line and delivering a perfect pass as he has become so good at. Found himself getting a couple of line breaks too as he was pushing up to take a couple of offloads as all good halfbacks should. His offload in the lead up to Paulo's first try was amazing, I still have no idea how he got that ball away with a couple of much bigger men wrapping him up. A really classy kicking game all night as he just stangled the Eels and had them coming out of their own end a lot and then his goal kicking was almost faultless. A massive occasion for both him personally and the club as he broke that record. that is a special moment that will stick in my mind forever. What a night for our skipper!!

callmack1

Staff member
Nicholls: Not sure if it was just me but I felt like for some reason, the Parra forwards identified him as the weakest link in our pack and really went after him. Just seemed like a lot of them were looking for him in the defensive line or trying to put a shot on him when he had the ball. However, such is the might of the goat, he lapped all of this up and didn't let it bother him at all. he had a strong consistent performance, running for over 100 meters and making 27 tackles with none missed and only 1 ineffective. Nicho was a big reason why we won the opening battle to win the game.

Cook: Didn't do anything special last night but that's fine. When everyone else around him is on fire, Cookie doesn't need to star, he just needs to play his role and make things easier for the team. That's exactly what he did in this game. His service from dummy half was crisp and he didn't much around with it, bringing the forwards onto the ball well and getting good ball to our halves in attack. He still had a couple of darts when the opportunity presented itself and as always, he was one of our top tacklers. Happy with his performance.

Burgess: I wouldn't say Tom had a barnstorming game like he has in the last couple of weeks but it was still a pretty good night for him as he didn't put a foot wrong at all. Maintained his good form well. Carried strongly for 112 meters and his charges consistently got us up over the advantage line, often with a quick play-the-ball. Made his tackles too. Can't ask for much more from your front rower. Well done Tommy.

Koloamatangi: Perhaps not his best game but that's not to say he did anything wrong. It was still a powerhouse performance from him. 113 meters with 53 of them being post-contact, an offload (which was a try assist), and 23 tackles which is a bloody good effort. That offload for cam's try was just awesome. Love watching play like that between the forwards.

Arrow: A pretty good knock for Jai. Went hard and performed with role very well. Was busy all game as he went looking for work in both areas. Had some really tough carries but had a lot of really strong carries was one of the majority of forwards who made over 100 meters. A big defensive effort too with the highlight being that try saving tackle on Blake in the first half, that was brilliant stuff because he was in for all money until Jai cut him down inches from the line.

Murray: A very welcome return for our man and he certainly didn't disappoint. Was in everything as he always is. Just keeps going and going which was no different last night. It was always maximum effort on every play. Tireless. Made 109 meters off 14 runs, along with 4 tackle breaks, 2 offloads 36 tackles and a try of his own! So good to have him back as he just adds so much too us. The clean up work on defence through the middle and the ball playing he does certainly doesn't go unappreciated by me.

Marshall: Played limited minutes but came on at centre and still managed to put a mark on the game. Firstly coming in and shutting down a big play by Parra, then taking a couple of runs and then sublime vision and execution to put in that kick for Paulo to run in and score. It doesn't get much more perfect than that!

Host: Impressive off the bench as always. Plugged that right hand side once he came on and executed his role really well. There's not too much to say about his game but that's not a bad thing, Hosty doesn't need to be a superstar. 70 meters off 8 runs is not a bad effort.

Tatola: Great to have him back and he came back with a big bang! Didn't expect him to be that good in his return game. Made a massive impact off the bench and helped maintain the rage in a big way. His first carry was strong and the performance just grew from there. Certainly picked where he left off before he got injured. 192 meters off 19 runs in limited minutes is huge!!!

Su'A: Jaydn has been great in recent weeks but he didn't impress me last night sadly. Seemed to find it hard to get involved in the game and it was a very lazy effort on Moses which lead to their second try. For mine, Jaydn either needs to be starting or not in the side at all. The bench doesn't really suit him.

Very happy with last night's efforts! I probaly wouldn't call it a statement performance but it is certainly a warning shot to our other contenders. The trick will be doing the same, and more, against them. But for now, let's enjoy the win!! Nine on the trot!

Rabbit57

Juniors
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: A night out once again, this time against much tougher opposition. He was incolved in everything with strong kick returns and some tough hit ups at various times throughout the game. Had a couple runs in the second half where he made a half break and threatened to go straight through with his power. His work out the back on our shifts was the highlight of his performance though, it was absolutely beautiful to watch. Constantly throwing perfect passes out to the left and they were spot on everytime which created chances. The best was obviously the freakish no-look try assist for Mansour's second. was doing it on the right too with a couple of peaches to Paulo, one of which saw him pick up a try. Aside from that was safe under the high ball and his positional play was spot on. Well done Trell!

Mansour: The best game he's played in a Red and Green jumper so far. He was brilliant!! Coming into the game, many of us had question marks over his catches in the back field and apart from letting a couple bounce (which I was disappointed with, not good enough), he did pretty well in this area and he managed to defuse the rest. He also didn't put a foot wrong in defence which was another question mark. In fact, he had a few great reads to shut down a couple of their dangerous plays down our left. Aside from that, his running game was extremely strong, running for a HUGE 254 meters (the top in our side) and scored two awesome tries. Sauce was one of our best last night.

Gagai: A very strong game for Gags. As he always does, he got through plenty of the tough stuff. Constantly making runs out of our own end, constantly looking for work. It was this tough stuff that saw him gain just on 140 meters which is a big effort. Looked dangerous when he had a bit of room to move, even made a line break off one of Mansour's offloads. Speaking of Sauce, Gags put him over for our first try and that was great hands from him. he then scored one of his own of that Cody grubber which was great work to slip in behind his opposite, take the kick and then put on a great show of strength to get over. Finally, no complaints with his work without the ball, he was awesome there too. I particularly enjoyed his efforts on the kick chase.

Milne: With the ball he was very good. Plenty of strong carries to get us up over the advantage line and he looked a real threat with a bit of space. He started the movement for Paulo's first try in the second half with that awesome offload. However, he didn't impress me in defence. It's hard to critcise players after such a great win and Taane has been awesome for us this year but he deserves a bit of critcism for his defensive performance last night. Looked all at sea few times and the Eels found a bit of joy down that side. He was constantly jamming in when he didn't really need too which created space, at one time leading to their first try, and when he did come in and actually make contact, it was a high tackle. So not a good night for him on defence.

Paulo: Jaxson has copped plenty of flack from myself and others on forums however, he deserves a lot of praise for his efforts in this one as he really stepped up. Against a fellow top four side, he finally had a great game and finally looked like a genuine first grader. No issues at all under the high ball which we were all worried about. In fact, he had some really good takes on a few tough Moses bombs. Didn't do anything wrong in defence as a lot of the space Parra found down our right was due to Taane and there wasn't much Jaxson could do. Finally really rolled his sleeves up and got dirty running the ball too. i was happy with how involved he was and all his runs were quality. Rewarded with two great tries. This is now the benchmark for Jaxson and hopefully he can continue to play like that.

Walker: His sublime run of form continues!! Once again he was brilliant last night. Constantly scheming, constantly coming up with the right option, constantly puting other into space and constantly looking dangerous himself. That first try was all him as it was fantastic vision to realise where the space was, step back off his right and go down the short side for a try. Was involved in basically every play we put on wide and executed his role to perfection. Came up with another try assist with that beautiful short grubber to put Gags in, you don't see tiny kicks like that very often and once again, I was just in awe of some of the touches he had. All class. Strong defence too, nothing got past him and I particularly loved the try he saved mid way through the second half where he scrambled back to get his hand to a ball that Ryan matterson was nearly certain to score off. Another good night for Cody.

Reynolds: We had so many good performers last night but Reyno was 'the man' in my eyes. A masterclass in playmaking as he created so much space for us all night, digging into the line and delivering a perfect pass as he has become so good at. Found himself getting a couple of line breaks too as he was pushing up to take a couple of offloads as all good halfbacks should. His offload in the lead up to Paulo's first try was amazing, I still have no idea how he got that ball away with a couple of much bigger men wrapping him up. A really classy kicking game all night as he just stangled the Eels and had them coming out of their own end a lot and then his goal kicking was almost faultless. A massive occasion for both him personally and the club as he broke that record. that is a special moment that will stick in my mind forever. What a night for our skipper!!
Another top report Callmack.

Paulo rollling up his sleeves was a good sign.

Great to see Mansour having some success. The only negative I see in Mansour is he doesn’t have the speed he use to have. In the first half he was put away several times midfield and was cut down by Dunster. If AJ was on the wing he would have scored 4. All the other positives about Mansour game I totally agree. Full marks to the left edge for creating the overlap time after time.

southsport

First Grade

Great to see Mansour having some success. The only negative I see in Mansour is he doesn’t have the speed he use to have. In the first half he was put away several times midfield and was cut down by Dunster. If AJ was on the wing he would have scored 4. All the other positives about Mansour game I totally agree. Full marks to the left edge for creating the overlap time after time.
Agree, good to have Mansour as a back-up but not as a first choice.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

Agreed.
Really important to have wingers with speed.

Latest posts