What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Roosters

TeamSatan

Juniors
Was on drunks hill watching the game.
Most annoying thing was some geniused roosters fans carrying on like they had just won the world cup.
Yeah we are rubbish but there are some signs of better days to come.

Thought the panthers had a go but reality is half the team is reserve grade standard.
Just dont see Latimore as anything more than a fill in player,lacks line speed and agility to play firsts.
Not really a Mansour fan..maybe people think he is a manu vatuvai type winger..truth is he is far from that.
Season is over, same old story too many injuries again ..miss the semis.

Since 2003 we have made the semis twice in ten years.
To me this shows a massive problem from the junior base up.
The absolute lack of talent recognition and the ability for the club to enhance what they have shows that the base is as bad as the top.
The whole club is run by people who have no idea about football and only care for their own cushy job.
Just like parra.... It will never change long term.

Kilkenny

Coach
There is no substitute for class. We don't have it and the Roosters well they have it in abundance even without Sunny Bill. I couldn't fault the effort. I haven't bothered to listen to Ivan's press conference yet so I don't know what his thoughts were. We were never gonna win but losing two players again in the first half and only have two left on the bench meant we were on a hiding to nothing. Always disappointed after a loss but if one thing pissed me off it was again conceding a try in the last play of the game. Has that happened three weeks in a row?

There are harsh lessons to be learned and sadly we have a few individuals who simply are not up to NRL standard. I don't like singling out individuals but we simply cannot go into next season with Isaac John as 5/8. Blake Austin has a lot more talent in all departments and I would like to see him given a couple of weeks back in the role.

Pomoz

Bench
Even full strength next year we will not be contenders. Yes they should be pushing the top 8 but still will not be serious contenders. Something we lack that the good teams have - Star Quality......Problem is, unless we have our own stars come through, none of the others WANT to play for Penrith. The crap that has gone down over the last few seasons has turned them off.
True, but there is no quick fix for this. We have to do what we are doing and build the clubs junior development so we can supply most of our own stars. Why be optimistic? Because he club has made significant changes in managing junior the development process. The halves academy and sports complex will help us develop some great talent. It just takes time. We have wasted a lot of the talent in the district in the past due to some misguided management decisions.
The thing I have noticed about our team and supporters over the last 6-7 years is attitude. Poor attitude from a lot of players (which I admit has improved in Ivans time) and the excuse making attitude of the fans.
You must read different blogs to me. There has been scathing criticism of the club by many people including myself. There are many who continue to criticise the club and Gus, in particular, is ridiculed on a regular basis.

However, I don't criticise the club currently because I can see they have a plan and it takes time to implement it. If in three years things are no different then I will be criticising and asking for change. My view on this is simple, from where we were when Elliot left and the roster and junior programme we had, it was always going to take three years to turn that around.The salary cap inhibits the ability of any club, regardless of how much money they have, to rapidly change a roster and buy stars.The club had financial issues and a terrible salary cap structure. We are starting to see that change. Most people who criticise have never run a large organisation like the Panthers and have no idea how difficult it is to conceive and implement a strategic plan that will turn around a failing business delivering poor results.
I tell it like it is. Crap at the moment and has been for a while.
Agree, it is crap, but that's stating the bleeding obvious. Listen to the podcasts of Gus and Don Feltis talking about the strategic plan they are trying to implement. Look at the plans they have for the halves academy and the sports and entertainment complex. Listen to Gus talk about how the club is going to manage the juniors and source junior talent. That is our future and that is what makes me put up with our current performance.

There is hope my friend. Keep the faith.

Pomoz

Bench
Kids aren't as good in NSW Cup as NYC NRL is even bigger jump still lack a hard running centre.
I'm glad you mentioned that because we often get people saying "throw in DZW, Cartwright and all". As Gus has said many times and as you have just pointed out, the step up is too big from u20 to NRL. Now that we actually put the youngsters into NSW cup regularly we have a much better chance that someone like DZW will make it. Gus had the view that Sjeika, Austin and Moylan have really suffered because they never had NSW cup exposure early enough and it held back their development and resulted in them getting injuries. It is good to see that we won't make that mistake again, even if it means some people are disappointed to see u20 superstars look a bit average when they first step up.

Freddie is the only Penrith junior I have ever seen go u20s, reserve grade, first grade all in one season and look good at every level.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm glad you mentioned that because we often get people saying "throw in DZW, Cartwright and all". As Gus has said many times and as you have just pointed out, the step up is too big from u20 to NRL. Now that we actually put the youngsters into NSW cup regularly we have a much better chance that someone like DZW will make it. Gus had the view that Sjeika, Austin and Moylan have really suffered because they never had NSW cup exposure early enough and it held back their development and resulted in them getting injuries. It is good to see that we won't make that mistake again, even if it means some people are disappointed to see u20 superstars look a bit average when they first step up.

Freddie is the only Penrith junior I have ever seen go u20s, reserve grade, first grade all in one season and look good at every level.

Your pretty spot on. You could probably add Michael Jennings.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm glad you mentioned that because we often get people saying "throw in

My theory is we need the talent playing the next up for as long as possible but go back.

Michael Jennings perfect far too good for lower grades but needed a month or 2 back AFTER his NRL debut to work on involvement as a star player etc.

Injuries are being a pain but see how Cartwright & co will go in 20's then play them up from round 1 next year. Satini lost something since going back. DWZ should be fullback when no Moss yet is the wing for some reason.

For example Jennings on the wing. Next year push into centre in NSW Cup. Though in all likelyhood if he debuts next year it will be wing for a month or so then go back & wont fix our left centre hole.foe sometime.

rem286

Juniors
And the negative attitude continues!!! Yes we have had stars (Jennings, Lewis, Cootes etc) - did that make a different in the last 6-7 years?

I say go Ivan you have done us proud this year and so have the Rookies. But no lets be negative.

Yes it did make a difference when they were playing to their potential - 2010 - but then injury killed us just as the finals began. After 2010 Jennings never really played to his full potential, Coote has been injured most of the last 3 years and Lewis was not playing his best at club level either (still very good but not his best footy). As I said in an earlier post, Im sure many of these players have the potential, they obviously showed something to pick up a contract, the problem is we are not seeing it on the park. Potential is nothing unless it is realised, no use having potential if we never get to see it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Rem. Exactly no certainity these prospects will be good either. Sure hope & do all you can but no guarantee. People get that Panthers can do no wrong.

Sadly the truth is we are poor in most aspects doesn't stop me from supporting or attending games nor should it. Doesn't mean we are a good team.

Nealo 12

Bench
My poor old (panther supporter) brother in law came out from the UK a few weeks ago. We have been going to the footy and watching every panther game while he's been here, we have been flogged in every game. He said to me after the roosters game ...nothing has really changed with the Panthers has it !

maple_69

Bench
Pretty sure I remember Gus saying in an article that if he was in charge of the NRL junior system, he wouldn't allow clubs to introduce kids until they have 15 NSW Cup games under their belt. Add that to the strategy he obviously likes of giving them 4/5 games and sending them back for a bit.

We'll have Jennings, Cartwright, VTK, Moss available next season by that criteria. DWZ, RCG, Moseley will likely be available towards the end of the season.

Latest posts